Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hiking Mount Saint Helens

1,745 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone done it? Going up over labor day. Bucket list thing. Appreciate any insight.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
wbt5845
AG
I did it many years ago. Was great - desolate up top.

Which route? We did the Worm Flows route since we wanted to see the tubes as well. Comes in from the south.
Geriatric Punk
AG
wbt5845 said:

I did it many years ago. Was great - desolate up top.

Which route? We did the Worm Flows route since we wanted to see the tubes as well. Comes in from the south.
Ptarmigan Trail. No time for the tubes this trip. 8.1 miles RT and about 4,500 in gain. Doesn't seem technical. Not in as great of shape as I'd like due to some neck issues, but should able to summit weather permitting.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Tomorrow is the day. Neck issues and a broken toe (brother/hiking partner) nearly derailed the trip, but we are forging onward. Looking forward to some Double Mountain IRAs on the beach at Seaside while we BTHOSHS afterward. Cheers.
AggieOO
How'd it go?
Geriatric Punk
AG
It was about 70 degrees when we started. The first two miles were a gentle nature walk through beautiful pine forest. Then…it got real. The next mile and change was 1500 ft of gain scrambling over a Boulder field. The last mile/1000 ft was straight up loose rock and ash. The summit was amazing. It was almost as hard going down as going up. One of the most challenging hikes I've done. My legs are still sore. We spent yesterday watching football and hanging out on the beach in Seaside. Great trip.

9 miles roundtrip.
4500 feet in gain.
RangerRick9211
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

It was about 70 degrees when we started. The first two miles were a gentle nature walk through beautiful pine forest. Then…it got real. The next mile and change was 1500 ft of gain scrambling over a Boulder field. The last mile/1000 ft was straight up loose rock and ash. The summit was amazing. It was almost as hard going down as going up. One of the most challenging hikes I've done. My legs are still sore. We spent yesterday watching football and hanging out on the beach in Seaside. Great trip.

9 miles roundtrip.
4500 feet in gain.
Awesome! Any haze on the summitt? Views must be so fun from up there! We took off for Bend Saturday and it was meh in PDX, but really bad on Santiam pass.

How was pulling a permit? I was just looking the other day and it was booked out for September.

I make the road climb on my bike from Toutle to the Observatory a few times a year, but haven't really hiked it much (typically have the 3 year old in tow). One day though!
Geriatric Punk
AG
I set an alarm to pull permits on August 1, which is when they were released. By the time I checked out about half of them were gone. We ran into a solo dude who managed to find one last minute, so I suppose that is always possible.

It was really windy at the top and there was no shortage of haze, but it wasn't terrible. Pretty sure we inhaled some smoke from the nearby fires, though.

Finally got around to posting some pics:

AggieOO
nice! This one is on my list, but didn't realize it was a permit situation, so good to know.

We are going up Whitney on tuesday!
Buford T. Justice
AG
That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Awesome man. That is on my short list. We might tackle it this time next year. Half Dome is next with the wife over Memorial Day.
RangerRick9211
AG
Badass. I've been trying to pull Todd or Broken Top all summer to visit No Name Lake with no success. Cascades are busy this year! You even need a permit now to visit Historic Columbia River Highway/Waterfall corridor!
AggieOO
Geriatric Punk said:

Awesome man. That is on my short list. We might tackle it this time next year. Half Dome is next with the wife over Memorial Day.

I got selected for half dome this year, but declined since I also got Whitney. Hopefully ill get pulled next year
aggiect
AG
I've got two Lemond Buenos Aires in my garage that I'm looking to sell. Both from around 2001-2003 timeframe. In the Austin area. I haven't sold anything online in quite a while so I put one on Craigslist last week and immediately got spammed like crazy so I removed it. I've never been on Facebook but my wife sells things here and there on marketplace so I signed up and posted one of the bikes there yesterday. So far it seems like the replies I've gotten have all been legit but no real interest yet. I say all this to the OP to point out, it seems like Facebooking marketplace may be a good place to search the used bike market.

I'm not sure if the exact size on my bikes but I'm about 5'11" and I measured the top tubes at around 55cm.

Whether you end up going new or used, you should go to a shop to get an idea on the size you need.

If anyone else has tips on good ways to sell a "vintage" bike, I'd love suggestions.
AggieOO
wrong thread?
Geriatric Punk
AG
AggieOO said:

wrong thread?
How was Whitney? Wife just got home from R2R and caught COVID, so she is sore and sick. Super sucks for her.
AggieOO
it was pretty awesome, but very difficult. It had a long post started that I was slowly adding to over the work day. Left for a meeting, IT pushed out an update, my computer rebooted, and I lost it. I've been too lazy to re-type it, but i'll get something up this week with some pictures. Definitely the hardest single day hike I've ever done, by a long shot. But holy hell its gorgeous up there.
Geriatric Punk
Ryan the Temp
AG
I summited MSH last Summer. It was 9 hours of the suck - glorious, amazing, torturous suck. 5.5 hours up and 3.5 hours down. I took an ice axe so I could glissade down the ice fields. That last 1000 feet or so through all the scree was just awful. It was almost enough to make me give up - like climbing the down escalator - but then suddenly I was at the top and it was all worthwhile.

After I summited, I took the next day to hike Ape Cave to loosen up my sore legs. After that I spent three days on the Loowit Trail. I went in at June Lake trailhead and did the trail clockwise over three days. It was a truly incredible experience out in the wilderness completely solo for three days. Final distance was about 33 miles and around 6000' elevation gain.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.