Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Neck & Shoulder Pain with Numbness

2 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OasisMan
TSUAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A couple weeks ago I started having pain in my neck. I figured I had just strained it so I went to Airrosti for treatment on Monday; I've been to them a few times before for aches and pains and they've always corrected my issues. They said I strained my neck somehow and that it was causing my trapezius to be overworked to make up for it resulting in muscle spasms. After the first treatment I went home and iced the area as much as I could. After a few hours, I began to develop a tingling/numb feeling in my thumb and forearm. I also can not lay down as my neck and shoulder(deltoid?) kills me. I try to sleep in the recliner, but even that is uncomfortable at best. I went back for my second appointment on a Thursday with Airrosti and explained everything I was feeling. She still thinks it's just my trap muscle causing the problem. She performed another treatment. I felt some relief for a short period of time but a few minutes later I'm back to the way I was before. I have another follow up on Tuesday, but I've not gotten any better and I'm concerned this is something much more serious than a strained muscle. The numbers & tingling in my thumb and part of my forearm almost seem to be worsening. The affected areas are all contained to the right side of my body. Should I continue with my scheduled 3rd visit with Airrosti on Tuesday, or is this something more serious requiring immediate attention?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
There's nothing in your trapezius muscle that would make your thumb and forearm numb.

Sounds like you have a C6 radiculopathy, most likely from a herniated disk in the cervical spine. I don't know much about Airrosti, would probably seek more traditional physical therapy at this point. You can also take anti-inflammatories (Aleve/naproxen) to reduce inflammation. If muscle spasms are really bothering, you could also see a doctor about getting a prescription for a muscle relaxant such as Flexeril.

If it doesn't get better with conservative treatment in 4-6 weeks, would proceed with MRI of the cervical spine.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MarkW91
Sounds like you're getting the right answer. But I'll add my two cents - not from medical knowledge but just one experience.

I was lifting shoulder presses years ago, behind the neck (only do this with lighter weight and move to front of head when getting heavier). Tweaked upper right shoulder/trap area.

Over a few weeks it continued to hurt. Right arm tricep got noticeably weak and one of the fingers or thumb was slightly tingly.

Finally went to dr. Was a pinched nerve in neck. Dr gave Corrizone on the exact spot of the upper shoulder/back/trap - exact spot he said should hurt and did. Explained how that nerve travels down rhe bicep and to the exact fingers at issue. Gave me the steroidal inflammatory medicine and it cleared up in days.

Made me much more sensitive to the idea that some muscle pain may be nerve related.

Likely unhelpful but wanted to pass it on. Good luck!
MouthBQ98
AG
You can also get some weird sympathetic nerve irritation reactions when you are talking neck, shoulder, and arms because some nerves serve or pass by different areas and irritation and inflammation in one area can irritate a nerve that goes to a different area. It really makes tracking a pain or numbness problem down a bit difficult.

I've aggravated those nerves that radiate down the arm before at the upper shoulder near the spine and it's very difficult to sort out, so a second opinion from a different type of expert can't hurt.
txags92
AG
I had something similar and it was from what I have seen referred to as "texter's neck". Basically spending too much time holding my phone in my lap and looking down and left to read it put strain on the muscles down from my neck into my right shoulder blade. As I understand it, that caused the nerve running down my arm to get entrapped under those tensed up muscles, which resulted in tingling and numbness down into my fingers. I ended up getting physical therapy a couple of times a week doing stretching and deep tissue massage to loosen the muscles in my shoulder. I also learned to stop looking down to read my phone, instead holding my phone up to read it in front of me. It took a while to go away, but it eventually got better after about 4 weeks.
aggiederelict
It is coming from your neck. You didn't strain your upper trap but the upper trap often needs to be addressed as one of the downstream effects of all of this.

How are your reflexes? Have you tried traction for your neck? Any strength deficits?
OasisMan
AG
MRI c-spine
Probable EMG/NCS
PT w/ stretches

Sounds like R-C6
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.