Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Back Surgery

700 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Philip J Fry
dallas ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
5 years ago I completed Ironman Texas just a couple of years after running the Boston Marathon. I'm short, I was very active.

Since then, I've had continuing issues with my L4/L5 disc (back issues run in my family) - including 2 microdiscectomies, with the last one being in Dec 2020. Now I've herniated that disc again and I've got a lot of pain - I struggle to walk a half mile or sit/stand for any period of time. I'm in my late 40's age wise and still fairly fit, despite these issues.

I've seen 4 back doctors and all have recommended a spinal fusion. I see horror stories online about that surgery and what it can mean for my life going forward. I would like to be somewhat active again (golf, swimming, maybe some short running).

Anyone have any experiences they can share about their fusion (or someone they know)? Or any doctors out there with any advice on how I should proceed? I have done several rounds of PT and I have had multiple epidural steroid injections, so not sure what else I can do from hereā€¦

I appreciate any insight/advice!
Gig 'em!
A New Hope
From what I understand golf and running aren't good for people with back issues. I'm sorry the docs are recommending fusion, unfortunately many many back surgeons are only after the money. Fusions pay a lot of $$.
bigtruckguy3500
So, always avoid the knife as long as possible. That being said, have any of them talked about disc replacement? I know a military pilot that had to go to Germany, but he had 2 discs replaced and it kept him flying. There's some really fancy spinal surgeons there that do multi-level disc replacements, which aren't approved almost anywhere except Germany.

I'm not a neurosurgeon though, so I dunno.
bam02
AG
Yes that is true but if 4 surgeons (hopefully they came highly recommended) are saying fusion then maybe that is his best option. There are a lot of great neurosurgeon and ortho-spine surgeons out there that do lots of fusions.
Philip J Fry
AG
Has spinal fusion in 2012. For me, it was life changing. I still play golf and go swimming. I couldn't play golf before the surgery. I still have some discomfort, but that has more to do with the extra weight I'm carrying and lack of core strength.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk details.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.