Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Do any of you struggle with foggy mind?

2,215 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Na Zdraví 87
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since college, I've had periods where I really struggle with foggy mind. It can get really bad. To the point where I almost feel drunk and think maybe I shouldn't drive.

In college, I had put on a lot of weight, and after I lost it all and got into the best shape of my life, it all went away. So, I've always associated it with just being out of shape.

Later in life, I had some stomach issues, and through a series of test, I found out I have a gluten allergy (wasn't the cause of the stomach issue). So I stopped eating gluten and started thinking clearer than I ever have. So, then I figured it was the gluten all along.

Now I'm having it again. I don't eat any gluten, but I have not been working out lately.

That's a long story to say, I have a hard time putting my finger on what causes it for me.

Would love any info you guys have about it.
ATM9000
AG
lotsofhp said:

Since college, I've had periods where I really struggle with foggy mind. It can get really bad. To the point where I almost feel drunk and think maybe I shouldn't drive.

In college, I had put on a lot of weight, and after I lost it all and got into the best shape of my life, it all went away. So, I've always associated it with just being out of shape.

Later in life, I had some stomach issues, and through a series of test, I found out I have a gluten allergy (wasn't the cause of the stomach issue). So I stopped eating gluten and started thinking clearer than I ever have. So, then I figured it was the gluten all along.

Now I'm having it again. I don't eat any gluten, but I have not been working out lately.

That's a long story to say, I have a hard time putting my finger on what causes it for me.

Would love any info you guys have about it.

When I have spells where I don't really feel with it, the very first question I ask and it is always the answer revolves around my sleep so I'm surprised there's zero mention of it in your post.

Recently, I noticed feeling less with it and motivated for instance. Nothing really changed with me then noticed some bad neck pain. Replaced my pillow and the sleep came back into line and my neck started feeling better,

Anyhow, the recommendation isn't to go buy a new pillow… but I'd put more odds than not on if you are foggy, something is wrong with your sleep and you need to get it resolved.
Potcake
AG
The times where i'm sluggish and kind of have swimmy head, and they aren't attributed to alcohol, are typically pollen-related. Which may also lead to less than stellar sleep and thus compounding the problem.
Eliminatus
AG
No physical trauma? I've had double digit concussions and am all scattered brains at times, especially when tired or inebriated of course, but can definitely feel fogged during normal times.

No cure for me unfortunately.
TRM
AG
How do you sleep? Maybe while being overweight you developed sleep apnea.
javajaws
AG
Yeah, check for sleep apnea as well as low T
aggiemike02
AG
my seasonal allergies put me over the top at times and absolutely foggy mind is a side effect. i'm also quite allergic to dust mites so season is year round, compounded by pollens during their season. its great.
shiftyandquick
Could be consideration for mild depressive episodes.
cruzdoggie
AG
Small chance probably but hyperparathyroidism could be worth looking into. I was 29 and had severe brain fog and seems similar to what you are describing. I got a few blood tests all showing high calcium and low vitamin d which are the obvious indicators of parathyroid issues. It's usually in older ladies so nobody believed I could have it but on my third endocrinologist (in Houston) they finally did enough scans to find a huge parathyroid gland that shouldn't have been that way. Got it removed with a quick surgery and have had no problems the last 7 years. I was miserable for about 6 months trying to figure out what it was.
lotsofhp
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Could be consideration for mild depressive episodes.

I have been giving this some thought as I've been dwelling on some work stuff way more than usual lately.
lotsofhp
AG
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing.
cruzdoggie
AG
No problem. Feel free to reach out if you have specific questions. Was a stressful time figuring it all out.
Green2Maroon
AG
I don't want to use the term "foggy mind" but I've been a bit off kilter and pretty hyper lately. Normally a pretty laid back guy but lately I've kind of been in an apeshyt mood. I'm not really sure why.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I've been experiencing it lately along with extreme tiredness/no energy. I think it might be my meds. I'm taking Metoprolol Succinate for high BP and I think it's causing my issues. Gonna talk to my doc tomorrow.
OasisMan
AG
Basic labs - including but not limited to cbc, cmp, b12, tsh, vit-D, testosterone, other hormones, …
Home sleep study
https://www.mdcalc.com/phq-9-patient-health-questionnaire-9

"Healthy" portion controlled diet
Not overweight
Stay active, exercise
Sleep hygiene - "normal" bed time, ~7-8hrs sleep
lotsofhp
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

I've been experiencing it lately along with extreme tiredness/no energy. I think it might be my meds. I'm taking Metoprolol Succinate for high BP and I think it's causing my issues. Gonna talk to my doc tomorrow.

Yes, I'm really tired in the evening too. No energy to play with my son when I get home. Just absolutely wiped after not even working that hard
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I went and saw an endocrinologist last week. She is going to run a host of tests on me. Checking my thyroid (again), my kidney function, my adrenal glands and full blood panel. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of my issues. I stopped the metoprolol today to see if that helps the tiredness/no energy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.