Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Post covid cardio/endurance

1,043 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TRM
aglaohfour
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a mild case of covid in January. Never got a cough, no respiratory symptoms. Really just lost taste and smell, had a headache, and was super fatigued for about a week.

Since I recovered, my endurance has not been the same. Not even close. It's very measurable because I work out on a peloton with a heart rate monitor. My output has been consistent (far below what it was before) with no improvement, yet my perceived rate of exertion is much higher. Recently when my heart rate increases in max efforts, I've started to feel like my throat is closing and the only way to get relief is to stop working until I can slow my heart rate. Also experiencing a slight tightness in my chest, not pain exactly, just feel like I can't take a full deep breath when my heart is racing.

Is this worth a visit to the doctor, or should I just stick with my routine and it will eventually sort itself out? I honestly feel kind of silly being worried about it, but it's been almost four months and not getting any better. Plus I just turned 40 so I guess I'm feeling a little paranoid.
bigtruckguy3500
Probably worth a look over by a doc. Maybe a chest x-ray, and maybe pulmonary function testing if they think it worth while based on their exam. Ultimately there may not be any treatment, but it could also be something reversible precipitated by the COVID.
Dad
AG
I would definitely get it checked out.
tamuags08
AG
sounds similar to what I went through/am going though.

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/3271012/replies/61443650

I had a full cardio work up (completely normal) and saw a pulmonologist which gave me an albuterol inhaler thats helped a little.

However I'm still not where I once was. Hoping over time I get over it.
Gyles Marrett
I've had endurance issues with it as well. Have had covid twice. Before the first time worked out 6 days a week. Never felt tired. Neither case of covid I had was bad. Minor cold like. Since though I have to take about every 3rd day off because I'm completely exhausted. After a good day/night of rest I am back at it again but I never needed that much rest prior. Strength is fine. In workout endurance is fine. But I wake up on that day 3 feeling like I need a day of sleep.
Sher Thing
AG
I went through the same thing. I also had a very elevated heart rate afterwards when working out. It took me about 4-5 months after having it to feel myself again endurance wise.
BQ04
AG
Same. It took me 4 months to get back to a reasonably close fitness level. I still don't feel like I have the lung capacity I once had. Backed by quantitative evidence.

Pre-Covid, this is something that I would have consulted with a doctor. Now, I am not confident that they know how to treat it.

Let us know what you find out. I'm interested.
TRM
AG
I had covid in January. I wouldn't classify it as mild, but not severe. Cough, phlegm, and 3 nights where my O2 got to 90%, but no loss taste or smell, but better by the end of the week. I still took an extra week off as a precaution, but I was back to myself after those 2 weeks. I kept up the vitamin, zinc, quercetin, and elderberry regiment for a month though. Maybe that might help?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.