Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Progressive Overload for strength onkly

1,216 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jellycheese
2girlsdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After listening to the Huberman/Galpin podcast, I began performing the same lifts 3-4/week for every workout:

• deadlifts/bench
  • squats/back (either PD or rows)
  • OHP/calves

For the main lifts, dL/bench/squats/OHP, I stay in the 80-90% range and 3-5 reps. It's been a 5 weeks, and I love it. I'm surprised not only how I have no soreness, but my joints, especially knees, feel great.

Here is my question. I do go all over the place based on how I am feeling that day in terms of percent of 1 rep max. Should I adjust and one week do 82%, then go up a few percent each week for perhaps 4-5 weeks and then go back to 82% but at a higher weight? I feel it's the only thing I need to nail down. What about a pyramid week for each lift and hitting 90-95% for the top of the pyramid/1 rep?
Ragoo
AG
Just do stronglifts 5x5
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Your post is confusing to me. You're wanting to progressive overload but you're talking about increasing weight and decreasing reps and then going back to the lower weight with more reps? Did I misunderstand somewhere, because that doesn't sound conducive to a progressive overload focused plan?
2girlsdad
I meant after 5 weeks go back to 82% but at a higher weight than 82% was the cycle prior.

I've done 5x5, but this program and hitting all those lifts 4 days a week has gotten me stronger than ever beflore.
Noble07
AG
Thanks for sharing this. I've only made it about an hour into it.

How many working sets are you getting in a week? Is your goal hypertrophy or strength gains?
Noble07
AG
https://podcastnotes.org/huberman-lab/episode-65-dr-andy-galpin-how-to-build-strength-muscle-size-endurance-huberman-lab/

There's a summary of that I found online.

So...he's my main question. If you're going for size, you go to failure with preferably 10 working sets of 6-30 reps each per week. If you're going for strength you want volume that is intense but not at failure.

That sounds great but how do decide what to lift for strength? Over that 5 weeks I assume you increased your weight but how do you draw that line knowing that you're going to be doing those lifts again the next day?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I haven't listened to the podcast but I can't imagine them saying to do the same lifts on back to back days.
Noble07
AG
That is exactly what he said.

Quote:

If training for strength, speed, or power: you need greater stimulus and shouldn't really be sore frequency can be as high as you want, you could even train the same muscle groups daily

Speed, power, strength training tips: pick 3-5 exercises, 3-5 reps, 3-5 sets, take 3-5 minutes rest between, train 3-5 days per week
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I like & trust Huberman, but that goes against just about all other information out there as well conventional thought. How can you get stronger without allowing your muscles time to respond to the stress they've been through?
Noble07
AG
Yeah, I'm no expert but I found that to be strange as well. Hoping OP can weigh in. I had to stop listening to the podcast after an hour so there might be more nuance or detail to it.
jellycheese
AG
Your training frequency should depend on how quickly you're able to recover. Why not start a linear progression like Starting Strength or Stronglifts and see how far you get training 3 days a week.

You didn't put any numbers so it's hard to gauge where you may be at.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.