Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hotworx, anyone tried it out?

3,690 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JT05
Adverse Event
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My mom went to one and has been going nearly 3-5 days a week and shed a ton of weight and just really pumped about her progress. Was thinking about buying a franchise myself.

Anyone have any feedback, love/hate/etc? There aren't any near me so I haven't gotten the chance to see one yet.

It's basically infrared saunas that you can squeeze up to 3 people into with video workouts, yoga, cycling, rowing machines.

EBITDA looks good but still evaluating if it'll work out in my area.

Thanks!
ptothemo
AG
In Houston, we call that Outside. I am not sure about the EBITDA of Outside, though, so Hotworx may have an advantage there.
jtraggie99
AG
So you're paying to do yoga through a video in a hot room (for example)?
Adverse Event
I'm not going to post all the marketing information I've gathered on it, this isn't the forum and i'm not trying to sell anyone anything, but to make it as drab of a concept as possible, yes hot room exercise with video trainers.

I find it appealing as theres only one gym with a sauna where I live and its usually a crowded sauna. This concept maxes out at 3 people in a sauna and is open 24/7. Most members will look at the app and try to snag a time with an empty sauna, according to my mom and the franchisees i've chatted with.

quick look shows around 24 locations in houston open or opening, 37 in dfw, 21 b/w austin and san antonio.

anyways, if anyone gets a chance to check one out and provide feedback, id appreciate it. I'm probably pulling the trigger end of May, unless i hear something heinous about it.
Madmarttigan
AG
Would only worry about the fad nature of workouts and that someone might have a heat stroke in your sauna doing exercise.
Vepp
Having people walk from their car, through the texas heat & humidity, in order to pay to work out in the heat & humidity.

'merica
Adverse Event
Appreciate the inexperienced comments.

I'm only looking for opinions from those with experience in the business itself. Anyone knocking it is more than welcome to see where the closest location is to then and do a free session, see if it is truly a trash "merka" experience versus something useful.

Apologies for linking to their website but type in the zip code and give 'er a whirl and report back.

https://www.hotworx.net/locations

If youre certain that it's no better than paying for Texas heat/humidity indoors, test the theory, lemme know. My understanding is anyone can test it out for free.

Don't be scared to try new things.

If it becomes the worst 30 minute workout of your life, just gimme the feedback.

But if you are scared, and don't have any useful experience to share about the franchise, and won't go and try one out, then just let the thread drop. Keep quiet.

Would really love any data feedback from anyone already tracking biometrics via whoop/fitbit/etc.

I'll head to the big city a few hours away to test it out myself before I put forth any capital into it. Hoped someone here might be able to provide any useful input to work with/against outside of "but its hot outside, why?"
Adverse Event
Haven't read anything on strokes @hotworx, but that's what insurance is for.

One of the podcasts that I had listened to prior to hearing about the franchise concept:

ptothemo
AG
Wow, you just escalated that right up to patronizing and condescending. Bold move, let's see how it works out.
CC09LawAg
ptothemo said:

Wow, you just escalated that right up to patronizing and condescending. Bold move, let's see how it works out.

Yes, your comment was certainly none of those things…
jtraggie99
AG
I'm not knocking it, I just don't know anything about it. What temps are the rooms typically? I looked at their website and couldn't find it. I am a big believe in heated workouts, I've been doing Bikram hot yoga for over 4 years, and the rooms are generally a bit over 100 degrees at about 50% humidity. I know some think the heat is overkill, but I've personally found it immensely beneficial. At the same time, I just prefer instructor-lead group classes when it comes to that, as it pushes me more and you get ongoing feedback on things you don't notice.
Adverse Event
I agree, I think that it has limitations in that regard. Perhaps they will add an option to have a live session with that type of form coaching.

Found the answer on temperatures:
https://www.hotworx.net/blog/perfect-workout-temperature
125 degrees
Quote:

When we tested the very first HOTWORX infrared workout sauna, we started with a 120 F temperature dry heat setting. Soon after testing with 30 minute isometric workouts, we discovered that the perfect temperature for an infrared sauna workout was 125. We had no motive other than finding the right temperature for a great workout. It did not matter to us what the temperature was in the natural environment or the climate of any region in the world. The only purpose for our experimentation was to find the perfect temperature for yoga, pilates and other hybrid isometric workouts.

We discovered that sweating begins very soon at 125. We also found that, at that temperature, the experience was just right for a 30 minute isometric workout and for a 15 minute HIIT routine. The 125 is hot enough to be super challenging but not too hot for the 30 minutes of isometrics or for the 15 minutes of HIIT. If we were to compare the HOTWORX infrared sauna workout environment to a natural setting, the closest example might be a workout performed outside in the middle of a hot July day in the dry heat of Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Having established 125 F as the most effective workout temperature, let's leave it there. Seriously, just set the workout temperature for 125 and go on to focus on your workout. Do not get caught up in the trap of thinking that you will get an even better workout if the temperature is higher than 125.

Here's more specifics on infrared in general:
https://www.hotworx.net/post-categories/infrared

This is a franchise and I'm sure most of this is just marketing to fluff themselves. But I'm just immensely impressed with my mothers' overnight change and consistency after decades of sedentary behavior.

Secondly, my wife gets seasonal affective disorder and I've read great things on infrared/IRsaunas for SAD.
Cooter00
We had a concept like this at one of our retail centers in VA. Didn't make it 18 months. Opening early covid probably didn't help
slatermikan
Study the member/money arcs of various unique fitness franchises (Curves, 9-round etc0. Across the board, margins in the fitness business are slim, with closures in the first year being nearly identical with first year eateries. I've never known any owners in this particular franchise, but have been lucky enough to carve out a long career in the field and would be happy to answer any questions.
javajaws
AG
Adverse Event said:

Appreciate the inexperienced comments.

I'm only looking for opinions from those with experience in the business itself. Anyone knocking it is more than welcome to see where the closest location is to then and do a free session, see if it is truly a trash "merka" experience versus something useful.

Apologies for linking to their website but type in the zip code and give 'er a whirl and report back.

https://www.hotworx.net/locations

If youre certain that it's no better than paying for Texas heat/humidity indoors, test the theory, lemme know. My understanding is anyone can test it out for free.

Don't be scared to try new things.

If it becomes the worst 30 minute workout of your life, just gimme the feedback.

But if you are scared, and don't have any useful experience to share about the franchise, and won't go and try one out, then just let the thread drop. Keep quiet.

Would really love any data feedback from anyone already tracking biometrics via whoop/fitbit/etc.

I'll head to the big city a few hours away to test it out myself before I put forth any capital into it. Hoped someone here might be able to provide any useful input to work with/against outside of "but its hot outside, why?"
If you look at the replies on this thread as potential future customers clearly you can see what the average "potential customer" thinks about this. This should be your most important takeaway here. But by all means carry on with your attitude though...I'm sure that will bring you plenty of customers in the future.
Adverse Event
Asked for experienced goers reviews, got "but it's hot in Texas this makes no sense."

Thanks for your guidance.

Appreciate all the people actually providing valuable input. I'll look into those concepts and raise some questions next week with the franchisor.
Capitol Ag
AG
Thoughts from a trainer:

There can be both benefits and drawbacks to training like this. It might be fine for those who are new to fitness and like a group atmosphere. It won't take them to a more advanced level as these types of group training sessions are very limited in terms of reaching overload and monitoring actual progression. Which is totally fine for many. Better than nothing, will get one moderately more fit and is something different than the typical Orange Theory or F45. But once some members want more, and some will, this concept isn't going to get them there. Sure, you will offer more "advanced" and "harder" classes" but harder isn't really always better. Ex: A stay at home mom gets into better shape through Hotworx and now wants to make more aesthetic changes. While there is a "booty" class available, a good trainer or strength coach knows that she will have to start doing the compound movements like squats, deadlifts, etc if she really wants to grow her glutes. And I doubt there is room to put a squat rack and heavier free weights in a sauna. Those light weight "bootybuilder" classes actually only get a client so far. They need to do heavy squats (heavy relative to them obviously) and dead lifts to get glutes. This obviously won't apply to most but it will to some. I get that you are more concerned with the concepts ability to make you money. I am just pointing out how I would view it as a trainer.

Issues: Heat. Is it really a benefit? Can the exact same results come from a more traditional training format? A lot of fatigue can result that is unnecessary and actually could limit results due to that excessive fatigue being built up. Studies are still limited but contrary to what Rhona Patrick has stated (I have followed her and like her), adding heat isn't the best for everyone. Most studies point to the build up of that fatigue as a limiting factor. Granted, this is a lot more of an issue for those with potentially more specific and advanced goals and may very well not effect the participant that this type of place is trying to attract as a customer. Again, the target is the general fitness demographic. Most of these people will be novices and any level of training will result in a raised fitness level.

Biggest issue: As was mentioned, is that a fad? Unfortunately, it may become one over time when the next "new thing" comes around. Having been a trainer at an Anytime Fitness, franchising can have drawbacks. There was a lot of rules that could keep costs high, like which providers of equipment you had to use, music provider, SW systems etc. It's hard to make money at these types of things. With this concept though, seems that equipment costs would be low. In that sense it could be good. But will the parent stay up with the times as things change?

Personally, I believe in putting weights in people's hands to get them not only in shape, but strong and/or beautiful. My interests lie in body building and powerlifting. So I am biased. So know that. But again, I worry too much that this pins you in a corner with an investment that is too limited conceptually without room to grow and change with the times.

Whatever you decide, I truly wish you good luck!
MaxPower
My advice is to look at this as less of a specific product and rather a matter of whether you think a fitness service business is a good investment. Whether this is a fad may not be a huge deal as you could potentially just move on to the next fad. You'd probably need to look at the ROI on the licensing and equipment to see how long it takes to pay off and whether that's a realistic timeframe for it to be "the thing" before you potentially have to move on to something else.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I LOVE it. I actively attend Hotworx sessions weekly. As an owner I believe you have the ability to determine the number of people in a box -- please don't do 3. Run all your numbers at 2... with 3, movements become somewhat limited and people won't attend the class. With the hiit rooms, it's impossible to move around with 3 actually in there with the equipment.

Re: Strength training - there's a gym inside also -- you book the space just like any other spot. Includes squat rack, dumbells, kettlebells, ropes, bench, etc.

Things I really enjoy about it over other types of classes:
  • limited people interaction
  • can do it with the lights off (heh) -- less feeling of being judged
  • predictability - I choose a class and book the time -- it's there and starts on time, every visit. It also ends at the same time, every visit
  • 24-hour access, free weight area that books out, full shower facility

Feel free to message me to ask questions if you want.
NoahAg
OP, it sounds like you're already sold so I say go for it. It seems people can be talked into paying for anything, so I'm sure there's a market for it.

Aside from the "I'll just exercise outside" aspect, it does seem a bit "faddish." Get people hot and sweaty, basically losing water weight and think they're getting in great shape.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in the health benefits of saunas/sweating. But it seems the big fish (no pun intended) are the overweight people thinking they're "burning a bunch of fat," when in reality it's water weight that they'll gain back in the next day or two after the sauna.
Let's go, Brandon!
JT05
AG
Been going with my wife for a few weeks now. Really, really enjoying it. Coming from traditional weights/cardio, it has been a great change. I will definitely continue to use in conjunction with outdoor exercise and some free weights. Highly recommend.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
ptothemo said:

No. The OP asked a legit question and in typical form, the first few responses are idiotic.
AgShaun00
AG
As a male, I like the quicker workout and the sweat. I do mostly the spin, row, and elliptical. Good stuff. I will work my way to pilates and core workout.

JT05
AG
AgShaun00 said:

As a male, I like the quicker workout and the sweat. I do mostly the spin, row, and elliptical. Good stuff. I will work my way to pilates and core workout.

The rowing workout is great
JT05
AG
The past few days I've worked in an ISO, bands, and core class, in addition to my usual spin, row, elliptical. I was actually shocked at how much these sucked (a good kind of suck). They pushed me physically beyond my expectations. I think these classes have more to offer than I originally thought.
AgShaun00
AG
JT05 said:

The past few days I've worked in an ISO, bands, and core class, in addition to my usual spin, row, elliptical. I was actually shocked at how much these sucked (a good kind of suck). They pushed me physically beyond my expectations. I think these classes have more to offer than I originally thought.
which weight bands did you bring? I done the core once and it was hard. I need to work to get to the other side of the sauna
Adverse Event
Hey I'd like to chat with you about your hotworx, whats best method to reach ya?
JT05
AG
AgShaun00 said:

JT05 said:

which weight bands did you bring? I done the core once and it was hard. I need to work to get to the other side of the sauna

I bought a variety pack deal on Amazon a few years back. I took the 30 lbs one to the bands class. I wanted it to be a challenge and thought it was enough for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.