Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

PRK

1,045 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LeanderAg
LeanderAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife just had PRK done on Friday. Had a follow up on Saturday and our optometrist said she was on track with healing. Since then her vision has gotten worse. Today it's like she never got it done. We are worried and will schedule an appointment tomorrow. Anyone have this experience and can calm us down????
TexasAg21
Optometrist here (who has worked in surgical centers and now works in refractive surgery at a major university).

With PRK, vision usually gets worse before it gets better. This is completely normal and no reason to panic! This happens because the cornea begins to regenerate the epithelial tissue and it grows back patchy and uneven until it smooths over. So the vision was alright initially because the contact lens over her cornea was covering a bare (but smooth) cornea missing the epithelium. Now that tissue is beginning to heal and regenerate, leading to worse vision. Once the epithelial tissue has had time to completely regenerate, the vision will improve. It will get better, I promise! PRK is a process. It takes time for the vision to come in (much different than LASIK). Usually vision is the worst 3-4 days after surgery.

If you schedule an appointment tomorrow, that is fine, but the doc will likely just tell you it needs time. That is why the next follow-up is usually 5-7 days after the surgery date. By then the epithelial tissue has had time to (mostly) grow back and that contact lens is ready to be removed.
LeanderAg
AG
Oh wow! Thank you for responding! If the healing process of the new cells is causing this, that makes sense. She seems to think that removing the contact bandage will help her see better (don't worry, she won't do this). But, that won't help will it? She just has to heal.
TexasAg21
You're welcome! I have had this conversation many times.

No, the contact lens removal will not help. It will actually slow down healing. The contact is acting as a bandaid right now. It is allowing the epithelial tissue to heal without being exposed to air and constant rubbing from a blinking eyelid. If you remove the contact it is like having an exposed open wound.

I don't want to speak for your eye care practitioners, but I usually recommend liberally instilling preservative free artificial tears (like every couple of hours) and 500mg of vitamin C twice per day to promote corneal healing. (Obviously this is in addition to the antibiotic and steroid eyedrops).
Seven Costanza
AG
For what it's worth, my vision after PRK is noticeably worse than my vision was with contacts (my vision without contacts was terrible). I expected it to improve over the first few weeks, but it never did. I still would probably do it over again.
LeanderAg
AG
Ok. I will let her know and encourage her that it will get better. It's just hard for her because she can't see. Yes, she has those same instructions and she has been doing a good job with it. Thank you so much for your help!
TexasAg21
No problem! Just hang in there
LeanderAg
AG
Thank you for sharing your experience. My wife and I both have terrible vision as well. I guess sometimes there is a risk that you won't get 20/20. I'm glad you still found it beneficial. Without my glasses I'm blind so I'd be happy with any vision improvement.
mh86Ag
AG
I had PRK back in December 2020. I had the procedure done on a Thursday and had my bandage contact lenses taken out that following Tuesday. It was an extremely intense and painful recovery process (couldn't open eyes a lot over the weekend; a lot of sleep; constant eye watering; very sensitive to light and painful). A few days after my bandage lenses were taken out i felt a lot better. I remember my vision being pretty terrible with the bandage lens on, but I knew it was on there for healing purposes. I would 1000% do it again, but just wish I had a better understanding of how brutal the recovery week was.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
I got PRK in 2004. Tested at 20/20 last month. Like the doc said on this thread, her vision will be blurry for a bit until the healing is complete. I had the exact same questions back then and it was explained the same to me back then. I've been 20/20 for 18 years now. Do what her doc says to do throughout the process and she'll be fine.
LeanderAg
AG
Just wanted to provide a quick update... My wife is doing great! It took awhile but she sees much better now. It's strange that some days are better than others. Not really sure why, but we know she continues to heal. I really appreciate Ag21 and others on this thread. Thank you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.