Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***2022 Trail and Ultra Running Thread***

30,064 Views | 418 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by coop-aero-06
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Might as well get this one kicked off too. As in previous years, we can use this thread to talk about our personal trail/ultra running as well as what's going on in the trail running world. The start of this one for me will look similar to the "goals" thread, but we'll see where it goes from there.

As I'm sure everyone is aware at this point, I finally got into Western States, so that's my personal focus through end of June. I'll have a few races and key runs on that journey. Here's what I'm looking at for 2022 so far:

1/29 - Goodwater 16 miler. Just using this as a training run. Its close to the house and we haven't seen most of the Spectrum folks in a long time due to covid and having another kid this year.
3/19 - 50K run with my brother in law. He just started running in 2021 with a goal to run 1 mile a day. He caught the bug, ran at least a mile for 365 days straight, and logged 1000+ miles. We ran our own half marathon in July, and he has aspirations for ultra running. I put together a training plan for him and we are just going to do our own thing. He's also got in the BFC lottery and registered for the Broken Arrow Sky Race 26K.
5/21 - Jemez 50 Miler. I'll use this as a gauge for Western and see what my pacing might look like.
6/25 - Western States 100

I'm also contemplating a couple other things and look forward to exploring more trails out in El Paso since I'm out there a couple times a month for work.
aggiespartan
AG
Pretty sure I'm going to do the Frisco trail race in February to kick off my trail racing. I'm looking for a 25k in March/April, or possibly August or September. My ultimate goal is to do a 50k in 2023 and enter the Dipsea lottery for 2023 (I know it's a long shot).
TXamc06
AG
Leadville 100 - 8/20/22. Already ready to be done.
RockOn
I'm in for Athens Big Fork next weekend then Running Up For Air 12hr on Grandeur Peak in February.

After that I'm only going to bikepack in the Utah desert the rest of the year.
fc2112
I have never run an ultra, but would like to run a couple this year.
AggieOO
I had to drop out of Athens. I'm still in Wisconsin and would basically be getting back and the have to turn around and drive 8 hours to the race.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Signed up for the Leadville Lottery. Fingers crossed.
AggieOO
JeremiahJohnson said:

Signed up for the Leadville Lottery. Fingers crossed.

Good luck. Always wanted to do that one.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Thanks. If I don't get it I will probably volunteer to cut in line for the lottery next year.
TXamc06
AG
Have you explored any of the "pay to play" options thru Boundless? Feels a bit like cheating but at least gives you certainty so you can start planning accordingly.
Sponge
AG
Buffalo Run 50 in march for final prep for the Salt Flats 100 in April.
aggiespartan
AG
How much stuff would you carry with you for a 30k? I know it's not a super long race, but just looking for some opinions.
AggieOO
In Texas? Probably just a handheld water bottle, possibly with some tailwind in it, depending on weather.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
TXamc06 said:

Have you explored any of the "pay to play" options thru Boundless? Feels a bit like cheating but at least gives you certainty so you can start planning accordingly.
Not familiar with that. Do you have a link?

I already paid $2500 for Ultraman that got postponed until 2023. Not sure I would pay, but who knows.
TXamc06
AG
Sure thing. Happy to intro you to Ryan Kroll who I'm working with. I paced a buddy last year who was coached by him - loved the program. Gist is - sign up for 8 months of coaching and get guaranteed entry.

https://boundless10200.com/get-started
AggieOO
Bandera is this weekend. Will be interesting to see if Ryan Miller can repeat and get another Golden Ticket to WS100.

here are the top men/women (stolen from irf)

Women
  • Ashley Arnold 6th 2021 Leadville T100 Mile
  • Sarah Biehl 2nd 2021 JFK 50 Mile
  • Addie Bracy 1st 2021 Run Rabbit Run 100 Mile
  • Riley Brady 1st 2021 Virgil Crest 100 Mile
  • Marianne Hogan (Canada) 2nd 2021 Ultra-Trail Cape Town 100k
  • Michelle Magagna 11th 2021 Western States 100
  • Taylor Nowlin 2nd 2021 Speedgoat 50k
  • Ellie Pell 1st 2021 Virgil Crest 100k
  • Sarah Pizzo 4th 2018 Run Rabbit Run 100 Mile
  • Denali Strabel 2nd 2020 Kesugi Ridge Traverse
  • Callie Uhan 3rd 2021 Never Summer 100k
  • Devon Yanko 3rd 2021 JFK 50 Mile
  • Leah Yingling 1st 2021 Bootlegger 50k
  • Arden Young (Canada) 1st 2021 Quad Dipsea
Men
  • Chris DeNucci 1st 2019 American River 50 Mile
  • Benjamin Drexler 1st 2021 Minnesota Voyageur
  • Rod Farvard 1st 2021 Quad Dipsea
  • Tyler Fox 1st 2021 Bighorn 100 Mile
  • David Hedges 1st 2021 Ultra-Trail Harricana 125k
  • Austin Horn 3rd 2021 Quad Dipsea
  • Joe McConaughy 4th 2021 Javelina Jundred
  • Adam Merry 1st 2019 Pikes Peak Ultra 50k
  • Miguel Medina 4th 2021 Bandera 100k
  • Ryan Miller 1st 2021 Bandera 100k
  • Jeremy Pope 1st 2021 Bigfoot 50k
  • Jonathan Rea 1st 2021 Dead Horse 50 Mile
  • Byron Yoder 1st 2021 Bear Chase 100k
RockOn
Leah is a good friend of mine.
MarathonAg12
AggieOO,

Congratulations on getting into WS100. The pinnacle of trail races.

I'm getting back on the trail this year after a year of dealing with personal matters.

Got to get my Vitamin D up!
AggieOO
https://www.irunfar.com/aleksandr-sorokin-100-mile-12-hour-world-records-2022-spartanion-israel

in case you guys didn't see this year. 6:32/mile for 100 miles. in-sane.
AggieOO
MarathonAg12 said:

AggieOO,

Congratulations on getting into WS100. The pinnacle of trail races.

I'm getting back on the trail this year after a year of dealing with personal matters.

Got to get my Vitamin D up!
thanks. its been a long time coming!
AggieOO
AggieOO said:

Bandera is this weekend. Will be interesting to see if Ryan Miller can repeat and get another Golden Ticket to WS100.

here are the top men/women (stolen from irf)

Women
  • Ashley Arnold 6th 2021 Leadville T100 Mile
  • Sarah Biehl 2nd 2021 JFK 50 Mile
  • Addie Bracy 1st 2021 Run Rabbit Run 100 Mile
  • Riley Brady 1st 2021 Virgil Crest 100 Mile
  • Marianne Hogan (Canada) 2nd 2021 Ultra-Trail Cape Town 100k
  • Michelle Magagna 11th 2021 Western States 100
  • Taylor Nowlin 2nd 2021 Speedgoat 50k
  • Ellie Pell 1st 2021 Virgil Crest 100k
  • Sarah Pizzo 4th 2018 Run Rabbit Run 100 Mile
  • Denali Strabel 2nd 2020 Kesugi Ridge Traverse
  • Callie Uhan 3rd 2021 Never Summer 100k
  • Devon Yanko 3rd 2021 JFK 50 Mile
  • Leah Yingling 1st 2021 Bootlegger 50k
  • Arden Young (Canada) 1st 2021 Quad Dipsea
Men
  • Chris DeNucci 1st 2019 American River 50 Mile
  • Benjamin Drexler 1st 2021 Minnesota Voyageur
  • Rod Farvard 1st 2021 Quad Dipsea
  • Tyler Fox 1st 2021 Bighorn 100 Mile
  • David Hedges 1st 2021 Ultra-Trail Harricana 125k
  • Austin Horn 3rd 2021 Quad Dipsea
  • Joe McConaughy 4th 2021 Javelina Jundred
  • Adam Merry 1st 2019 Pikes Peak Ultra 50k
  • Miguel Medina 4th 2021 Bandera 100k
  • Ryan Miller 1st 2021 Bandera 100k
  • Jeremy Pope 1st 2021 Bigfoot 50k
  • Jonathan Rea 1st 2021 Dead Horse 50 Mile
  • Byron Yoder 1st 2021 Bear Chase 100k

No repeat for Miller. Rea, Fox went 1,2. Looks like Miller dropped. Another ag, Clay Emgee is still on the course, he was top 15 after the first loop. Didn't realize he was doing ultras now. Is he done with triathlon?

ptothemo
AG
I know that Clay ran (and won) the Rocky Raccoon 50-miler last year, and I think that he has run in ultras other than that and this weekend. No idea on his status with triathlons other than I would be really surprised if he is done with them.
RockOn
Tyler TX has some great trails and he's been running on them more over the past few years. (I used to live there).

He won Rocky Racoon 50 in early 2021.

Tri's are probably still his primary sport, but maybe just mixing it up a bit.
RockOn
I ran ABF today and it was frigid and rainy. Pretty miserable, but still a beautiful course.
oldarmy76
I think Just trying something different especially to see how he would stack up against the best trail runners after a pretty easy win and fast time in the rocky 50. Quads seamed to get pretty trashed goi g down those first three descents in the dark. Last 31 mile loop was a gutsy struggle fest to finish. Especially knowing he was way out of contention, but he finished. That's a tough race for almost no experience on rocks and just picking up your first pair of trail shoes.
The course took out a lot of people. Had to give Sarah Biehl a ride to find her crew after she dropped out around mile 49 or so. I think only one of the first three guys at the first aid station actually finished.
AggieOO
oldarmy76 said:

I think Just trying something different especially to see how he would stack up against the best trail runners after a pretty easy win and fast time in the rocky 50. Quads seamed to get pretty trashed goi g down those first three descents in the dark. Last 31 mile loop was a gutsy struggle fest to finish. Especially knowing he was way out of contention, but he finished. That's a tough race for almost no experience on rocks and just picking up your first pair of trail shoes.
The course took out a lot of people. Had to give Sarah Biehl a ride to find her crew after she dropped out around mile 49 or so. I think only one of the first three guys at the first aid station actually finished.
Its a tough race for people with experience. I've done the 100K four times, and i feel like it gets harder every time

appreciate the insight.
RockOn
This is somewhat related to trail running, but I just signed up for my big fitness goal of 2022.

The Utah Mixed Epic. 700ish mile bikepacking "race" that starts and finishes in Moab.

https://bikepacking.com/event/utah-mixed-epic-2021/ (route is changing this year)
JeremiahJohnson
AG
That sounds like a blast. Can't wait to hear about it.
K Bo
AG
Anyone ever run the rut in Big Sky? A buddy mentioned this in the past and it looks really cool. Registration opens in 30min and I'm considering doing the 28K and the wife doing the 11K.

https://runtherut.com/
AggieOO
K Bo said:

Anyone ever run the rut in Big Sky? A buddy mentioned this in the past and it looks really cool. Registration opens in 30min and I'm considering doing the 28K and the wife doing the 11K.

https://runtherut.com/
friend of mine has done it. pretty iconic race. looks awesome and hard AF.
K Bo
AG
signed up for the 28k.
AggieOO
K Bo said:

signed up for the 28k.
badass. definitely want a full report post-race!
K Bo
AG
For sure. This will be unlike anything I have ever done and I am excitedly terrified. I need to get through the Houston Marathon this weekend, Hell's Hills in April, then I'll figure out how to train for this, in Houston.
aggiespartan
AG
K Bo said:

For sure. This will be unlike anything I have ever done and I am excitedly terrified. I need to get through the Houston Marathon this weekend, Hell's Hills in April, then I'll figure out how to train for this, in Houston.
I was looking at Hell's Hills but I'm not sure if it will fit into my schedule yet. I would probably be in for the 25k.
coop-aero-06
AG
K Bo said:

signed up for the 28k.
Nice! The course looks similar to the Broken Arrow Skyrace course, which I have done. I would recommend getting out on as much steep and technical terrain as you can to prepare.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.