Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

IM Waco

2,364 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Crazy Ag 97
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else in? Assuming I cross the finish line I will have completed a sprint, OLY, 70.3 and 140.6 all in the town I was born in.
Ragoo
AG
In for the half on Sunday
Crazy Ag 97
AG
In for the full. Based on my training, I'm either going to have a big PR or blowup huge.
FIDO*98*
AG
You should get out more

I kid, I kid. That's awesome. Congrats!
wcb
AG
The running joke is I was born there and the closest I've come to dying has been there...
Nixter
AG
wcb said:

Anyone else in? Assuming I cross the finish line I will have completed a sprint, OLY, 70.3 and 140.6 all in the town I was born in.
Sorry to pirate the thread, but what was the story with IM Texas? I'm very out of the loop but a number of folks I know that were on the outside looking in managed to punch their tickets for Kona. Looked like a really small field and the times weren't amazing, either.
wcb
AG
I had no faith in Harris county allowing a race this year so I moved to Waco. I'm guessing lots of folks did the same. Seems IM awarded quite a few extra Kona slots to IMTX. If you were on the bubble it was the perfect storm.
htxag09
AG
Nixter said:

wcb said:

Sorry to pirate the thread, but what was the story with IM Texas? I'm very out of the loop but a number of folks I know that were on the outside looking in managed to punch their tickets for Kona. Looked like a really small field and the times weren't amazing, either.
As said above, the field was small. So top times were a little slower, plus a lot of finishers in the 5thish slots didn't show up to the award ceremony so they went down the lists for slots. And are you sure they got spots for Kona? They gave out a couple slots for Kona per age group and then a few more slots for the World Championships in St. George. My understanding was that the Kona slots were pretty normal, St. George got down there.
Nixter
AG
htxag09 said:

Nixter said:

wcb said:

As said above, the field was small. So top times were a little slower, plus a lot of finishers in the 5thish slots didn't show up to the award ceremony so they went down the lists for slots. And are you sure they got spots for Kona? They gave out a couple slots for Kona per age group and then a few more slots for the World Championships in St. George. My understanding was that the Kona slots were pretty normal, St. George got down there.
Both I was tracking finished well in their age groups, the times just seemed 30-45 min slow for what would have normally won the age group.
htxag09
AG
Nixter said:

htxag09 said:

Nixter said:

wcb said:

Both I was tracking finished well in their age groups, the times just seemed 30-45 min slow for what would have normally won the age group.
Gotcha. It was also hot as hell out there, so I imagine most people were slower than their normal. I imagine an early October race in Texas probably helped the decision of a lot of athletes to go somewhere else, as well. I think there were only 850 participants.
Swarely
Good luck homie. What finish time are you aiming for?
Ragoo
AG
Swarely said:

Good luck homie. What finish time are you aiming for?
thanks!!

5:30 but I don't know if that is ambitious or if I should push it harder.
wcb
AG
5:30 is a solid time on that course. Good luck man.
Ragoo
AG
wcb said:

now you have me less confident.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Ragoo said:

wcb said:

Weather is going to be a big factor. Windy and hot. I was originally shooting for a 10:30, but I've shifted my goal to 11:00.
wcb
AG
Ragoo said:

wcb said:

Didn't mean it in a negative way at all. If you're ready to run hills off the bike you'll crush it. You got this.
Ragoo
AG
I live in Houston. Oops.
Phat32
AG
Good luck! I want no part of Cameron Park for a full.
wcb
AG
Practice swim today. Water was absolutely perfect.
Ragoo
AG
wcb said:

how cold? Will it be wetsuit legal?
htxag09
AG
good luck!
wcb
AG
Ragoo said:

wcb said:

72 today. Should be wetsuit legal. I'll be in one regardless.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
wcb said:

Ragoo said:

wcb said:

72 today. Should be wetsuit legal. I'll be in one regardless.

I'm worried about being hot, considering only wearing my swim skin.
Phat32
AG
Rip your lungs out! Game time.
Swarely
Good luck you ruffians! Take a lime to and savor that run up to the finish line.
Ragoo
AG
Good luck tomorrow. I am headed that way in the morning.
htxag09
AG
Anyone keeping up with our h&f athletes?

Heard rumors that someone dumped nails around mile 40 of the bike course.
Ragoo
AG
htxag09 said:

hope that is just a rumor
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Ragoo said:

htxag09 said:

hope that is just a rumor

Not a rumor. Fortunately I was already past there for the when it happened.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Much harder race than I was expecting and that bike with the wind was no joke. Full race report tomorrow.

Short version:
Had the swim I expected at 1:07,
bike was much harder then expected with the rough roads, heavy wind, and heat in the 2nd lap. Dialed back my plan and finished in 5:20 (21avg).
Run was legit. Those hills are no joke. Was cramping almost immediately to start the run and suffered through a 5:15 slog.
Final time: 11:56. Missed my target by over an hour, but even so, decent race. Not my fastest but not my slowest.
htxag09
AG
What?!?! I assumed it was done the night before? So someone went out there during the race and threw nails on the road?!?!
Crazy Ag 97
AG
htxag09 said:

What?!?! I assumed it was done the night before? So someone went out there during the race and threw nails on the road?!?!

If it was the night before than I got super lucky. Either way it's just complete dick move.
JDL 96
Crazy Ag 97 said:

Much harder race than I was expecting and that bike with the wind was no joke. Full race report tomorrow.

Short version:
Had the swim I expected at 1:07,
bike was much harder then expected with the rough roads, heavy wind, and heat in the 2nd lap. Dialed back my plan and finished in 5:20 (21avg).
Run was legit. Those hills are no joke. Was cramping almost immediately to start the run and suffered through a 5:15 slog.
Final time: 11:56. Missed my target by over an hour, but even so, decent race. Not my fastest but not my slowest.
That%92s legit! Very solid and congrats.%A0
wcb
AG
Crazy At much respect. That was a tough day on a tough course. My swim went as expected. I was hoping to avenge 19 or so on the bike. For the first time ever my bike computer didn't pick up my power meter. Wound up riding off feel and occasionally glancing at power on my watch. Turns out my effort wanted nothing to do with the wind. Was averaging 16 at the end of the first loop. Figured the day was officially blown so just took it easy from there.

Figured I'd be 13:30 or so on the day, wound up 14:45. Snagged a medal and called it a day.

And to the 23 folks that did the full yesterday and the half today, kudos to you. Can't even comprehend it. Walked for a minute with a girl that did IMTX two weeks ago. People are amazing.
Phat32
AG
Congrats to the finishers.

Guy I know did IM Tulsa, then TX then Waco. Dumb ass.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.