Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Husband and Wife Weight Loss/Lifestyle Changes

4,021 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by coastalAg
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First of all, I've been on TexAgs since almost the beginning, but I'm new to this board.

For several reasons, the wife and I have decided it's time to make some lifestyle changes. We're not unhealthy by current American standards, but suffice to say that we aren't exactly healthy either. I'm 41, she's 38, with three kids (10, 7, and 2). Like many Americans, we drink to much alcohol. Did I mention three kids? We also maintain a very busy schedule with work, kids, volunteer activities, and just general life. Working out has never been something we could fully commit to because we often just can't find the time. We also eat a bunch of crap because we've tricked ourselves into believing it takes more time to cook healthy meals. We're closer to 50 than 20 and, let's face it, we can't go backwards. Time to grow up!

One of the biggest driving factors is she has a recent history of inflammation from an unknown, perhaps auto-immune, condition. She has had flareups once a year, during the summer, each of the last three years. This summer was so bad she couldn't walk on her right foot and had to use a knee scooter to get around. We've read several articles about how being fat causes all sorts of health issues - chemical and hormonal imbalances, inflammation, circulatory issues, etc.

We're not looking to get ripped, though I don't think either of us would shy away from the idea of "looking good naked". The goal is just to get healthy and fit.

We've started walking on the treadmill for about 30 minutes a day. The treadmill has a programmed routine which varies the walking speeds every couple of minutes between 3-4 mph. She hates to jog or run, but I've started jogging when the program hits it's highest speeds. I'm horrible at breathing when I exercise, so I use the jogging time to focus on steady breathing.

In addition to the treadmill, I found a few "daily exercise routines" online that mix planks, pushups, crunches, burpees, etc. I'm sure there is a benefit to doing ANY activity, but I find myself wondering if the routines I'm finding online are good or not. Do y'all have any recommendations?

We're also trying to eat better and drink less alcohol (or none at all). Most importantly, we're cutting down on snacking during the day and eating smaller portions. For the last couple of weeks, we've done two-egg omelets for breakfast (egg, spinach, onions, bacon, and cheese), salad with grilled chicken for lunch, and a small serving of meat, potatoes, and a veggie for supper. We aren't counting calories. Just smaller portions and trying to stay away from processed foods.

And finally, we're drinking A LOT of water throughout the day. Our goal is to drink a 20 oz tumbler every hour or so.

What are we missing? I don't know anything about supplements (protein, etc). Should we incorporate something like that into our diets?

Thanks in advance and look forward to learning more on our journey.
htxag09
AG
Sounds like you're on a good start. The wife and I did the same about 6 years ago but didn't have kids so a lot easier.

I think counting calories may be a good step. Log your foods in MyFitnessPal or something similar and see your totals and macros. Yes, just removing processed foods will be a big step, maybe the biggest. But truly knowing what you're eating will help. Doesn't have to be a lifelong thing, either, if you don't want it to be. Doing it for a month or so will give you a good idea of portion control, knowing what you're eating, etc.

Edit to add: also, snacking in itself isn't a bad thing. Just keep healthy snacks around: nuts, fruit, hummus, yogurt, etc.

Congrats and good luck!
AggieOO
count your calories. you are likely eating more than you think. people vastly underestimate their caloric intake. Also, don't trust the calories burned numbers on your treadmill. Machines way overestimate that.
texasaggie2015
AG
Honestly, if it's been working for you, keep it up. Sometimes it takes people a long time to find something that works for them. If you're happy with the results you're getting and find it easy to stick to it, I wouldn't change a thing.
aggiespartan
AG
If your wife can get into any sort of strength training, I think that would be great. I'm always a big advocate for women getting strong, and it's pretty important to maintain strength as we get older. Plus, it's something where you can see some great newbie progress.
Todd 02
AG
Thank y'all! Will look into the app for counting calories. I lost about 40 pounds back in 2012 after my oldest was born. Much easier back then; wish I hadn't gained half of it back! I remember reading an article that said all servings should be about the size of a deck of cards, so we're trying to maintain that.

As far as strength training, we don't have much room in our house on the ground floor for a weight bench or home gym. What do y'all think about a bowflex setup upstairs? Academy's website says their bowflex 1000 weighs ~130 pounds. Would that be right? I know for a fact that my floor will support that much - I'm an engineer and I designed and (over)built it!
aggiespartan
AG
I would recommend looking at strength training programs and seeing what you might want to do, then either getting equipment you can make work, or just join a gym.
Todd 02
AG
aggiespartan said:

I would recommend looking at strength training programs and seeing what you might want to do, then either getting equipment you can make work, or just join a gym.
Thanks. The only experience I have with strength training is bench presses and squats in junior high and one PE class at A&M. Will have to familiarize myself with some options. It's all a bit overwhelming at first.

We live out in the country about 20 minutes from the closest gym. I don't think a gym membership is a worthwhile investment.
ptothemo
AG
One other idea to consider is kettlebells - you can get a lot done without a whole lot of space with those. You wouldn't necessarily be doing the traditional lifts that everyone thinks of, but there are tons of different options to work towards move heavy things around general fitness goals.
ATM9000
AG
ptothemo said:

One other idea to consider is kettlebells - you can get a lot done without a whole lot of space with those. You wouldn't necessarily be doing the traditional lifts that everyone thinks of, but there are tons of different options to work towards move heavy things around general fitness goals.
Couple comments.

First is I second kettlebells. I have that, a set of adjustable dumbbells, yoga mat and a pull-up bar. Takes up no space, can do a whole lot with that and some push-ups, never get bored and end up with some great workouts. That along with a bike and running shoes and I'm able to sneak in very good workouts in my own busy schedule everyday pretty much… even if it is only 20 minutes. You save so much time if you don't have to tote yourself to a gym to workout.

Second is it is a great sign that you acknowledge not cooking at home is a choice rather than a fake crutch for lack of time. Don't forget that. I'll also say this and this is one I didn't really figure out until now and I'm about your age: dieting is really dumb if you aren't learning how to maintain your new weight in the long run. Acknowledging that time isn't the reason you don't cook at home much is a great first step… but you need to figure out why you do (and it is highly likely the very easy answer of you like high calorie foods a lot and who does n't?). I said this in another thread on this board but I've not met a lot of thin people who eat breakfast pork daily to start their day and that includes me for a while when I did it. I'm not necessarily saying bacon is bad for you or never eat bacon. I just ate a bacon, bell pepper, onion and cheese omelette this morning! But gain an understanding for what foods trigger which cravings. It is easy to have good eating days and bad ones. But you have to find the balance where when life gets tough, you don't just tailspin. When you teach your body that you need fatty meats every morning, guess what your weakness is gonna be when work gets really tough and you have to miss workouts or your kids get the dreaded thing where they get stomach flu back to back to back and you accumulate 3 or 4 nights or terrible sleep? You should indulge and have some bad meals sometimes because life is short, but the key is to make it where you don't feel like you need them all the time if that makes sense.

And to gauge what a bad meal is, remember a Chick fila sandwich, fries and a single Chick-fil-A sauce is like 1k calories before a drink. Many people think of that as a not great but also not terrible lunch. In reality, that's a terrible lunch.
TXTransplant
Some advice for your wife from another woman. I just turned 43, and the changes in my body the last 3-ish years have been very surprising.

1) Encourage her to start getting her hormones and vitamin levels checked on an annual basis. Particularly estrogen and thyroid. As these start to decline with age, you can still be within normal levels, but because the "normal" range is so broad, her personal number may have dropped by a large percent. When a hormone level drops by 30 or 50% of what it was, you notice it, even if you're still above the minimum. Have her start tracking these levels year over year. Estrogen in particular doesn't decline gradually, it drops off a a cliff. So, it's good to know what your levels are before that happens.

2) Encourage her to read the book Estrogen Matters. Find an OB/GYN who is familiar with the book and/or the research it discusses. She may even want to start looking for a GYN who specializes in women 40+ (assuming y'all don't want more kids).

3) Eat more protein. I changed my diet this year, and I eat 160-180 g of protein a day. And I don't do protein shakes. You can get it in with "normal food". I stick to very low fat protein - turkey, chicken, non-fat Greek yogurt, non-fat lactose free milk (the filtration process to remove the lactose concentrates the protein, so lactose free milk has more protein than milk with lactose), low-fat cheese (feta, Parmesan, and "light" cheeses), low-fat cottage cheese, etc.

I do supplement with some egg white protein powder (I put it in my oatmeal, omelets, and homemade acai bowls). But it has no flavor, and I don't even know it's there.

The changes in my body, both how it looks and how I feel, have been dramatic since I changed my diet in January. Good luck to you two, and props for recognizing now is the time to start making changes!
MikesFamousJava
AG
My advice has nothing to do with your routine. In about 9 days, as you're getting ready for bed, casually mention how you've noticed that she seems more tone (whether you've noticed or not). Repeat this weekly. Also, try to notice. Specific praise is even better. I learned this lesson the hard way.
agcivengineer
AG
Its about 3 key items for me:
1. Kitchen
2. Consistent exercise that is a habit
3. Stretch / roll muscles to avoid injury

1. Everyone has covered the food really well in this thread, so i wont add much. However, if your consistent in the other 2, there may come a time where what you eat isnt as important. But right now, its the most important.

2. Find an exercise routine that you will be consistent at, and will continue for a long time. Gains are made due to repeated exercise over an extended time, not surges in effort. As you are consistent, you will get better and better increasing your effort and abilities. What was hard for me 2 years ago is easy now. Find a sport you like and then train to get better at it. It will likely include both strength and cardio. I picked up triathlon 6 years ago and training for it (whether im signed up for a race or not) keeps me in great shape. My wife loves her gym class workouts and the social aspect where she met good friends.

3. Finally, make sure and stretch / use foam roller to every day. Otherwise you will get injured and that will hinder your progress. In fact, its very likely you get injured anyway and will find that stretching / rolling will help resolve it. I know because i was there when i started.

Ive now progressed from a little bit of exercise here and there to where my weekly routine is fairly intense. I pretty much eat what i want, when i want and maintain weight.
ATM9000
AG
agcivengineer said:

1. Kitchen

1. Everyone has covered the food really well in this thread, so i wont add much. However, if your consistent in the other 2, there may come a time where what you eat isnt as important. But right now, its the most important.

Sorry… but no. What you eat is always going to be the most important thing in the equation and it only becomes more important the older you get.

If 1 isn't there, the number 2 gets extremely difficult to maintain.
fc2112
Lots of good advice here. I started what you're starting about five years ago.

I personally tried to focus on making healthy choices instead of losing weight. Make enough healthy choices over a period of time and the weight takes care of itself.

You cannot out run your fork once over 40, so don't even try. Worked in our 20's - doesn't later on. As for me, I started off fixing my eating by:

1. No fried foods at all.
2. No "all you can eat" restaurants.
3. No beer during the week.
4. Drink a gallon of water per day.

I introduced those one per week - let the habits burn in for a few months, then started introducing other healthy eating choices.

As for me, I found Camp Gladiator for being active. I was lucky in that my trainer is an RN and certified nutritionist, so she helped me really clean up my eating. I'm now a whole foods plant based eater most of the time.

Yahoo health did a little write up a while back on my story. I still bounce between 205-210 but my body composition is very different thanks to lifting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dad-lost-80-pounds-want-live-long-enough-know-grandchildren-190147385.html
Ragoo
AG
Did your other account
Get banned?
agcivengineer
AG
ATM9000 said:

agcivengineer said:

1. Kitchen

Sorry… but no. What you eat is always going to be the most important thing in the equation and it only becomes more important the older you get.

If 1 isn't there, the number 2 gets extremely difficult to maintain.

When you burn as many calories as i do...yes i eat what i want, when i want and i am quite certain my body fat % is much, much lower than most. I need carbs and calories plus protein to fuel what i do.

The point is, once you get the kitchen right, exercise right, for long enough then you dont have to only eat healthy food and not enjoy the kitchen. When starting from zero, kitchen is more important.
htxag09
AG
I mean seeing as I just trained for an Ironman I fell in the same boat. But that is the far, far minority of people. For 99%+ of people, what you eat will always be more important.
Tailgate88
AG
Congrats on the decision to focus on your health. I humbly recommend you look into Intermittent Fasting for weight loss and overall health.

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2943791
Mr President Elect
AG
As others have mentioned, your diet is where it starts. Eliminate the sludge in your diet via processed foods and you should start to get more energy to give you that extra push to work out. Keep an eye on calories, but if you feel miserable doing so, then what you are doing probably won't be sustainable.

I have really enjoyed doing carnivore (I know crazy diet) but it has allowed me to cut out all junk food without missing it and kind of just suited the types of food I enjoy. Keto is something I might switch to when I get tired of carnivore.

I don't think there is anything wrong with vegetables, but I think there is something to not mixing too many carbs with fats. So if it's between vegetables with lean meats or getting to enjoy all the fatty meat I want, well the latter works a lot better for my tastes.
Vernada
AG
good for yall - I'm a big fan of figuring out what exercises works for you at home so you're not wasting part of your exercise driving.

I'm a fan of

Rucking - basically walking with a weight pack
Walking - simple, easy
Sandbags - super versatile, you can get the regular style and kettle, check bruteforcetraining.com
MARSOC Routine - good bodyweight routine that you can do pretty much anywhere

wcb
AG
I'm pretty sure P90x / Beachbody has an app now with a monthly subscription. Likely cheaper than a gym. And they most likely have a slew of body weight exercise videos in there. Might be worth a look.

My n=1, I owned a bowflex for a few years. Least used piece of equipment I've ever owned. I'd opt for a set of dumbbells and a bench instead.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I agree on a set of dumbbells and an app. There's little need for the average joe spending money on lots of equipment.

I'm a big fan of Apple Fitness+ if you're an Apple Watch owner. I personally like the yoga, strength and core classes. They're all basic, easy to follow workouts that teach you how to do moves correctly and are pretty motivating. Was definitely a helpful way for me to jumpstart working out again.
Todd 02
AG
Thank y'all for the comments and recommendations.

We're two weeks in and I definitely feel much better than I have in a while.

I suspect cutting out alcohol has a WHOLE LOT to do with that. We've each only had four drinks in the last two weeks. And I don't even miss it.

Last night I was able to jog for 20 mins straight on the treadmill at 4.0 mph. Concentrated on my breathing and was amazed how great I felt afterwards. Trying to walk/jog at least 30 mins per day on the treadmill. My goal by New Year's (if not sooner) is to be able to jog around the section south of me (4 miles) without stopping.

Finally, kudos to the folks at Apple that created the fitness rings. I bought my wife and I Apple watches and it's incredible how motivating it is to close those rings out every day.
Mr President Elect
AG
Todd 02 said:

I suspect cutting out alcohol has a WHOLE LOT to do with that. We've each only had four drinks in the last two weeks. And I don't even miss it.

Last night I was able to jog for 20 mins straight on the treadmill at 4.0 mph. Concentrated on my breathing and was amazed how great I felt afterwards. Trying to walk/jog at least 30 mins per day on the treadmill. My goal by New Year's (if not sooner) is to be able to jog around the section south of me (4 miles) without stopping.

Finally, kudos to the folks at Apple that created the fitness rings. I bought my wife and I Apple watches and it's incredible how motivating it is to close those rings out every day.
Count me in as someone who advocates resistance training over jogging. Don't get me wrong, it is better than not doing any excercise and improving your cardio health is never a bad thing. It is just that your body will try to get more efficient at running, and shedding muscle mass and slowing your metabolism is a couple of ways it will do that.

I am not a big fan of the bowflex at home either, they usually just collect dust. I know it's not cheap, but finding a resistance based group class gym (and not one that is just cardio with very light weight) is a decent way to get some exposure and motivation. Spending the extra money can force you into some commitment as well.

Also, get your wife involved with resistance training as well (heavy weight, low reps). I know a lot of women are afraid of getting too big but that is not going to happen. Heck there are a lot of guys out there that work really hard to bulk up and really struggle at it, it is not something that just "accidentally" happens.
aggiespartan
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Todd 02 said:

Count me in as someone who advocates resistance training over jogging. Don't get me wrong, it is better than not doing any excercise and improving your cardio health is never a bad thing. It is just that your body will try to get more efficient at running, and shedding muscle mass and slowing your metabolism is a couple of ways it will do that.

I am not a big fan of the bowflex at home either, they usually just collect dust. I know it's not cheap, but finding a resistance based group class gym (and not one that is just cardio with very light weight) is a decent way to get some exposure and motivation. Spending the extra money can force you into some commitment as well.

Also, get your wife involved with resistance training as well (heavy weight, low reps). I know a lot of women are afraid of getting too big but that is not going to happen. Heck there are a lot of guys out there that work really hard to bulk up and really struggle at it, it is not something that just "accidentally" happens.
As a woman who has tried to get big, it ain't going to happen unless you are doing very specific things, including following a very strict diet. It doesn't happen on accident or quickly.
TXTransplant
Ditto. I started working out with a personal trainer a few months back. I'm working hard by my standards, and last body scan, I still hadn't gained any muscle.

My muscles do look more tight and well-defined, particularly my arms and thighs, but that's just as much a function of my diet as the workouts.

I started out walking and then running back about 10 years ago. I was never a good runner, but I got to the point where I could go about 7 miles, if I really pushed myself. As I got older, though, the heat of the summer just got to be too much (I do not run on the dread mill), and I was having some hip pain. Also, running did nothing for my overall strength, particularly upper body. I was "skinny-fat".

I still do cardio, but I don't run any more (transitioned away from it about 3 years ago).

I never really enjoyed it, and It's not necessary. And I'm in better shape at 43 than I ever was between 33-40 when I was running.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm doing both lifting and running right now. Next week, I get back into half marathon training. The last one I ran was about 3 years ago, and it's a totally different experience for me this time. I ran about 5 half marathons in about a year and a half back then and never really got it. This time around, I understand that it's more of a mental game for me. I still hate running, but I'm enjoying the process. I lift on my off days because I just enjoy being strong. I'm going to start working on my pullups again, because I really want those back.

All that to say, find something you like to do for whatever reasons, make some goals, and go out and do it.
TXTransplant
Props to you for so many marathons! I have zero desire to do one - not even a 1/2. A friend kept trying to get me to do one - even if we just walked it. I told her it was a waste of my money!

I did a 5k. Once. And that was enough!

Totally agree the key is to find what you like/will be consistent with. I do Pure Barre (that's what took the place of running) and BodyFlow. Just added the personal training/weights. I find I'm most successful when I'm accountable to an appointment, too. Once I schedule a Pure Barre class, I almost never cancel, and obviously I can't flake out on my trainer.

Goals have become a huge thing for me the last few years, too! I revelry hit 1000 Pure Barre classes. And I'm doing the weight lifting after having great success with changes to my diet. I've also done other things like big hikes, rock climbing, kayaking in Alaska, etc. during vacations. I like to challenge myself, and I think that becomes more important as we get older.
aggiespartan
AG
TXTransplant said:

Props to you for so many marathons! I have zero desire to do one - not even a 1/2. A friend kept trying to get me to do one - even if we just walked it. I told her it was a waste of my money!

I did a 5k. Once. And that was enough!

Totally agree the key is to find what you like/will be consistent with. I do Pure Barre (that's what took the place of running) and BodyFlow. Just added the personal training/weights. I find I'm most successful when I'm accountable to an appointment, too. Once I schedule a Pure Barre class, I almost never cancel, and obviously I can't flake out on my trainer.

Goals have become a huge thing for me the last few years, too! I revelry hit 1000 Pure Barre classes. And I'm doing the weight lifting after having great success with changes to my diet. I've also done other things like big hikes, rock climbing, kayaking in Alaska, etc. during vacations. I like to challenge myself, and I think that becomes more important as we get older.
I'm doing halfs! I'm not sure if my body could handle a full. I can't do classes. I hate them. I will kill myself trying to get to a goal, and nobody else needs to see that.
LOYAL AG
AG
Another exercise idea is a set of resistance bands. Amazon has several sets. From there you can follow the countless YouTube channels for workouts that either cover the whole body or target specific parts of it. Initial cost is less than $100 and it'll take you a long way if you stick to it.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
1988PA-Aggie
A few thoughts to add...from a mid 50's couple...

Yes to resistance training, keep the high impact (running) to a minimum. Your back and knees will not hold up forever unless you are blessed with incredible genetics.

Do not get training advice from someone MUCH younger than you. My daughter posts fitness training videos online, she is a certified trainer, but she has no idea what a 55 year old person's limitations are compared to her 24 year old body. The fastest way to quitting an exercise routine is when you are sore or worse, injured.

My wife had amazing results with the program "Body for Life". The nutshell version is six days a week you eat well, several smaller portions per day, a good balance of carbs, fats, proteins. Then you pick one day to 'binge' a bit, don't go nuts and intake 4000 calories, but treat yourself to a few drinks, or some sweets. You may need a small scale to weigh your food to really understand how much you are eating.

Education. You need to learn about food. The crap we call food these days is laughable. 80-85% of your weight loss and health goals are done through your food intake. Learn to read labels...things like salad dressing can have 170 calories per serving, find the one that is 50 calories. There are good fats out there...but in limited portions. One person I know is frustrated by not losing weight, but she intakes waaaay too much 'good' fats..."But they're good fats...?!" Limits.

Discipline. This is your body. This is your life. You need to change your lifestyle to lead a healthier life. Fad diets do not work. You CAN cut soft drinks out completely. When you get done with a crappy workout, you know what? You still did it. Altering your attitude towards working out, even if it is just a 30 minute walk will do wonders. If you HATE working out, your attitude will prevent you from success, make it a part of your day like brushing your teeth.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Tailgate88
AG
Solid advice! And one of the best "First posts" ever.
Todd 02
AG
I appreciate all the insight on eating healthy. I agree that it's paramount to being physically fit and in good health.

Our first child was born in 2021. I was on BP and cholesterol meds and weighed 178 pounds the day before he arrived. Something about having a child changed my outlook on health. At that time, I was eating fast food (always Whatasized) and drinking a six pack of Dr. Pepper almost daily. I promptly gave those up and started drinking water and within six months I'd lost around forty pounds. I was able to drop the meds and keep that weight off for about three or four years. During that time we had another child and eventually our alcohol intake went WAY up. As that happened, the pounds and hypertension returned.

I'm "skinny fat" now. Two weeks ago when we started this, I was 158 pounds and my BMI was in the "normal" range. My BP and cholesterol were elevated, but not high. I've made it down to 152 and my BP in the mornings is hovering around 115/75 after my morning shower. It happened really quickly.

One of the motivators for this lifestyle change came from my CFO at work. He recently discovered his 17 year old daughter had started vaping and drinking a lot. He confronted her about it and her response to his question of "Why?" was "I see you do it, so why does it matter?" He quit cold turkey in order to set a better example for his kids. That really got me to thinking about what kind of example I'm setting for my children as well.

The focus in our house has shifted to eating healthy and exercising. The wife and I are averaging 30 minutes a day walking briskly on the treadmill. On the advice from this thread, we bought some dumbbells and are doing exercises with those. I know it isn't well thought of, but we also ordered a Bowflex home gym. We did a few of the prescribed exercises on it last night and so far it seems to be more than enough resistance. We're going to give it a real shot in addition to other free weight and body weight training.

Sorry this is so long, but again I wanted to say thanks for the input. We appreciate it and are excited to keep learning and improving.
aggiespartan
AG
Todd 02 said:

The focus in our house has shifted to eating healthy and exercising. The wife and I are averaging 30 minutes a day walking briskly on the treadmill. On the advice from this thread, we bought some dumbbells and are doing exercises with those. I know it isn't well thought of, but we also ordered a Bowflex home gym. We did a few of the prescribed exercises on it last night and so far it seems to be more than enough resistance. We're going to give it a real shot in addition to other free weight and body weight training.

Sorry this is so long, but again I wanted to say thanks for the input. We appreciate it and are excited to keep learning and improving.
If you guys like the Bowflex, then that's great. The best workouts are the ones that you will keep doing. I wouldn't be surprised if you decide to upgrade somehow in the future, though, whether it be to more dumbbells or kettlebells, or whatever. As your goals change, your workouts may as well. If you like to run/walk, sign up for a local 5k. The community at the events are always good motivation for me. Many of them will allow strollers and children.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.