Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

IMTX

1,179 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Phat32
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The race finally happened. I started training 26ish months ago for the race in April 2020, then delayed to October 2020, then cancelled and back to April 2021, and once again delayed to October 2021. I feel like I basically did 4 Ironman events, but got one medal. My original goal was 12 hours. It was a reach, but I thought achievable. With the delays and crazy training cycles, having our first son in December 2020, and life, I revised my goal to 14 hours.

Not going to leave a really long race report, but feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Swim: wetsuit optional, didn't wear one. I thought it was fine, people complain about the water quality, it's Houston, Texas, we don't have pretty bodies of water. Tri suit opening around the neck may have been a little large as seaweed came all out of my suit when I took it off to take a shower after the race..... 1:29:22

Bike: I really, really enjoyed the bike. Yes it was hot and windy. But it was nice to just get in aero and ride. I'm used to riding in the city and stopping for traffic, for lights, people, etc. I basically just counted down the miles to get to the turn around and have that tailwind. Then just cruised with that tailwind at my back. 6:09:33

Run: definitely blew up on the run. Legs were hurting, I was hot as hell, throwing ice in my hat every aid station wasn't really helping, and my stomach was getting pretty upset by the lack of solid food. So I started trying what the aid stations had to offer. Chips seemed to work well so I grabbed a cup every aid station and that was able to get me back to running, albeit at a slow pace. Then the chicken broth came out and it was delicious. The crowd support was awesome, completely forgot about the pain and just enjoyed the moment multiple times. 5:58:08

Finish time of 13:52:40 so just under my goal! I for sure thought I'd be a one and done. But I'm already seeing how sub 12 could be achievable. But, it will have to wait as it's not really fair to put all that weight back on my wife so I can train, especially when she's just been through it for two years, and the first 10 months of our son's life.....
Swarely
Congrats!
Ragoo
AG
Congrats. Doing Waco 70.3 on the 24th in much of the same scenario. I am almost burned out and only doing half. I am sure my wife would have left me doubling my training time.
agcivengineer
AG
Congrats! Those long distance races are brutal and its crazy how much nutrition affects you, but is so difficult to dial in without doing a bunch of races. I saw your strava and was really happy for you. Ive been debating if i should do a full or half in the spring.
bushytailed
AG
Congrats on FINALLY being able to compete! It was a long time coming for sure.
wcb
AG
Congrats man! Solid day.

RustyBoltz
AG
htxag09
AG
Yeah…my wife's been a champ. I adjusted my training schedule to try and make it work. Ditched weekday morning workouts so I can spend some time with the little guy and get him ready, worked out during lunch, moved my evening workouts to after he went to bed. But that still meant she was basically eating dinner alone every night, would leave me a plate in the microwave or wait for me to eat at 9 pm. Wednesday was my long day, I'd take a vacation day but still end up running until 8 or 9 so she was pretty much on her own. She was completely on her own saturdays with my 100+ mile rides
htxag09
AG
Also…..pretty sure a turtle bit my finger on the swim….
Swarely
Better than biting something else
Jim01
AG
Congrats!

I feel your pain. I did the same ramping up multiple times as you but finally said screw it and did my own Covidman in April. I still have an entry in April 2022 but no plans to use it. I've done three fulls and three halfs and that's about all I and my family can handle.

Glad you got your medal. I was looking forward to that belt buckle medal but it wasn't meant to be
farmersfight
AG
I didn't get a chance to look at the run map, was it 4 loops from the 70.3 course from 2019? I did the first year 70.3 so that's my only reference...if it was that run course, bless you.

And congrats! Finding the time to train with little ones is a challenge itself. And on top of that, training for NO race has got to be pretty disheartening.
htxag09
AG
farmersfight said:

I didn't get a chance to look at the run map, was it 4 loops from the 70.3 course from 2019? I did the first year 70.3 so that's my only reference...if it was that run course, bless you.

And congrats! Finding the time to train with little ones is a challenge itself. And on top of that, training for NO race has got to be pretty disheartening.

I don't think we're talking about the same race? IMTX is the race in the woodlands. Never been a 70.3, I don't think. Definitely was a full in 2019. The run course is 3 loops.
farmersfight
AG
ohhhh, I though they had moved IMTX to Waco...I guess that was for last year? They were going to do both races the same weekend. I haven't paid any attention to IM in a while since they cancelled IMAZ in 2020.

The woodlands run course was great
Crazy Ag 97
AG
farmersfight said:

Farmers - IM Waco is this coming Saturday. The 70.3 will be Sunday.

The 70.3 is still the 6.5 mile 2 loop course you saw previously. The full is that same loop plus an additional 2ish mile portion they added to the loop which makes each loop 8.5 miles instead of the 6.5 that is the 70.3 course. We do the loop 3 times, which also means Cameron park 3 times.
wcb
AG

Quote:

We do the loop 3 times, which also means Cameron park 3 times.

Please don't remind me...
Phat32
AG
Congrats!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.