Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Daughter slammed thumb in truck door

1,383 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by NWE
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy - daughter is almost 5 years old and slammed her thumb in the truck door today. After a few tears and blood, I got it bandaged up and she was able to go about her day with no pain.

My wife removed the bandages tonight to clean/put new ones on it, and the gash might be pretty deep. It's not currently bleeding. Thumbnail is cracked.

My question: If she isn't in any pain, is it necessary to take her to an urgent care tomorrow?

I can provide pics if requested but don't want to gross up the thread. If we can keep the wound clean and dry, can we manage it at home?
rebel99
AG
I would. When my daughter was 2, she had a drawer shut on her thumb. Her thumbnail was cracked and she wasn't in pain. After a few days, she was in pain, and it got infected. She had to have surgery. Now she's 7 and still refers to that thumb as her boo-boo finger. I don't think urgent care is a huge expense to have it checked out.
bones75
AG
If her nail is cracked or if it has slipped out from its base, she likely has a fracture, and by definition a compound (also known as "open" fracture). Good idea to get it checked.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
It'll probably be fine if it is show ing signs of healing already.

I had the end of my finger torn nearly off at about 4 in a door. As in tip of bone sticking out. They stitched it back on with a few stitches and it fully healed but for a bit of scar.
bigtruckguy3500
bones75 said:

If her nail is cracked or if it has slipped out from its base, she likely has a fracture, and by definition a compound (also known as "open" fracture). Good idea to get it checked.
If bones is an orthopod, I'd listen to him.

Chances are it'll be ok. Hard to say without actually seeing it. Sometimes docs will actually stich the nail onto the finger to act as a splint in the case of an open fracture. Someone should also make sure she has all her tendon function intact.
bcasey03
AG
Nevermind this is old
NWE
AG
Thanks everyone. Got it checked out. Tiny fracture but it's healing. Appreciate the help!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.