Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Shin splints, bad ones

1,387 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FTACo88-FDT24dad
dahouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get shin splints all the time. Usually it's just a bother, little ice, maybe hot tub, rest or change activity and it goes away.

This time it's different.

I did 5+ miles walking and jogging (70/30) on Wednesday. Felt a little shin pain that evening but not too bad. Thursday morning it was tight and really sore. So, I did 8 miles on my bike to give the area a break.

Holy cow, today it's awful. I had to drive to a site meeting with my steel toe boots on, it hurt to change pedals.

I got home and changed into Friday afternoon mode clothes. I noticed I actually have pretty good swelling about four fingers above my ankle, right where it really hurts. Also swelling up at the top of the muscle, below the knee.

I was really getting into a groove with my workouts, 3 weeks straight if every weekday, now this. Anyone ever had bad shin splints? Any tips other than ice and rest?
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
aggiederelict
Can you upload a video of you running? We might lean a lot from that.
dahouse
AG
That would be a parody of the pursuit of fitness. I really appreciate the effort.

I had my running/gait looked at by some folks a couple years ago. Took the recs to a good shoe peddler. All good there.

This hurts. And I want to be less fat. Dammit
Cody
94chem
It's likely some combination of too fast and too much.

I can recommend ashwagandha for recovery, which may also help with weight loss.

But you have GOT to give it time to heal, and then build more slowly. The faster you run, the less distance it takes to get hurt. For example, we have a girl who runs great 800's, but she may move to the 3200 because she won't have to do those 200 intervals any more.

Your shoe may be fine for your gait, but not for your weight. More cushioning may be needed. Some combination of the surface, the shoe, and weight of the runner can be the problem.

TLDR: too much/too fast for the surface/shoe/weight.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
dahouse
AG
Went to the doc yesterday just to get checked out. Official diagnosis is traumatic myositis ossification. Xray has a bunch of little things in my lower leg.

Compression wrap for 3 days, can't get it wet. No workouts for 7 days. Back in a couple weeks for a follow up. I have never heard of this, learn something new every day I guess.
Cody
wcb
AG

Quote:

I had my running/gait looked at by some folks a couple years ago.

Please tell me that was not the last time you bought shoes.
aggiederelict
That would explain the amount of swelling in the lower ankle. I rarely see swelling with shin splints in the lower leg.
dahouse
AG
Ha, I buy new shoes every 300 miles or so, which is about every 6 months for me. Right now I'm in the Brook Glycerin 18, but I'm almost due for a new pair.
Cody
dahouse
AG
Any insight on this? I've never heard of it. Hurts like hell. I've been told to just hang out and it will get better. I'd appreciate any insight.
Cody
MouthBQ98
AG
I used to get them when I was getting back into shape. After a few years of consistent conditioning, I can't remember the last time I had that sensation. Your bones and connective tissues with strengthen with increased use and load, just progress slowly at first to start the process if you are getting small injuries or aches beyond normal soreness.
lazuras_dc
AG
Not to hi-jack but I just got a random bout of patellar tendonitis yesterday. I felt a little twinge there Monday, did a mile run tuesday, then could hardly walk yesterday. Today its like 50% better. So Bizarre. Had it happen another time before a colorado trip before I was supposed to go hiking and that time there was zero events leading up to and I just wokeup with pain in the area.
MouthBQ98
AG
I get Achilles tendinitis or soreness under my patellas periodically. I take it a bit easier with aggravating activities but work through them with a longer slower warmup.
dahouse
AG
Got to take my compression wrap off today and take a shower (awesome).

Still swelling on the outside part of my leg. Still really tight. Painful when moving certain directions. I have to rest until next Monday, then I'm supposed to walk or do elliptical for 30 mins a day to test it out before my follow up on 10/25.

Not being able to work out is depressing after 2 months of 5 days/wk.
Cody
aggiederelict
Might take a while to clear up. Don't push through it. It will piss it off on my experience.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
There are several good videos out there on youtube about stretches/warmups you can do before and after running that will help with shin splints.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.