Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running Socks

3,288 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by zachsccr
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what are you guys using these days? Bonus points for those people who are doing marathon and longer runs, as I do a lot of distance. I'm not worried about blisters, just looking for socks that hold up. I love balega and feetures, but i got tired of them wearing holes in them after a 2-3 long runs or a single ultra race. I have a couple pairs of injinjis that seem to be holding up, but I don't like wearing those very often b/c they are a pain to put on. I got to where I've been buying C9 socks from target b/c they are cheap, but these damn things don't last worth a ****, and I'm tired of essentially having disposable socks.

i've heard good things about darn tough, but have never tried them.
RockOn
I'm pretty much all drymax these days
wcb
AG
Experia. Not cheap but man I love em.
MikesFamousJava
AG
I've not tried their running socks yet, but I love my other Darn Tough socks, and will buy their running socks when I need more. Lifetime guaranteed.
hbc07
AG
I haven't bought any new ones lately, but I was running mostly in nike socks before.
ptothemo
AG
Bombas performance running socks for me. My biggest problem with socks is when they lose their tightness and shape over time (that may sound funny but I don't know how else to say it) and the Bombas don't do that for me. I have about 15 pairs that have been all I've worn for the past 18 to 24 months.
Vernada
AG
Balega and Darn Tough mainly. I also have quite a few Drymax but don't care for them as much.
Vernada
AG
wcb said:

Experia. Not cheap but man I love em.

I like the look of those. Just ordered two pair to try.
zachsccr
AG
Darn tough are my go to. They tend to last a year or two for me before they get holes BUT they honor their lifetime warranty on them. If I get a hole, I mail them back and they give me a voucher for new ones.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
I'm either sockless or use the hidden dry balega socks and never had an issue with quick wear out. Current long runs are in the 15-19 mile range amd weekly mileage is around 40 miles with my Ironman build with no issues.
Sweep4-2
Swiftwick. Expensive but work well.
coop-aero-06
AG
Swiftwick. Over the years I only bought them a few times per year before a big race because they are expensive. But not I've accumulated enough that they are my daily training socks.
mrsbeer05
AG
This.

I have worn Bombas exclusively for a couple of years and they get me through half marathons no problem.
johnson2012
AG
X3 for Swiftwick. My go to for probably 10 years for biking and running (and just generally wearing). Snug fit that doesn't stretch out quickly, plus colors and designs if you like taller socks.

If you do a little googling or join their mailing list they can be had for 20-25% off or a buy 3 get 1 deal several times throughout the year.
ATM9000
AG
I got some compression socks for running. They stay tight and are sweat wicking. They are a little thin and do rip easy if you aren't careful putting them on. That said, I really like them for running. I never wear them for anything else.
RustyBoltz
AG
Swiftwick
I've amassed a useable collection that covers both running and cycling. Most of my taller socks for cycling are original Performance series but I started buying more of the Aspire line because I like the compression. They've held up to years of marathon and IM training with minimal signs of wear. I have one pair of the maxus that are pretty comfy, like a cross between a swiftwick and balegra, but the jury's still out on how they'll last long term.
94chem
Darn tough. I also use Smart Wool from REI.

I also have Busy Socks Merino wool from Amazon.

Darn Tough is a good summer sock. Smart Wool is medium and my favorite. Busy socks are a little thicker.

For a cheaper option that has held up remarkably well, Cool Plus from Amazon.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
OlRock
AG
FootJoy ProDry
Seven Costanza
AG
I've been using Balega for years. I think you were the one that recommended them years ago.
Sponge
AG
Injinijnijni

https://www.wser.org/category/surveys/
strbrst777
I've run about 45,000 miles. Only recently I started spraying canola or olive oil on my toes and on the toes of my socks. Less friction, especially on my big toes. Weird, perhaps, but it crossed my mind, I tried it and I like it.
wangus12
AG
Swiftwick and Stance socks
CDub06
AG
ptothemo said:

Bombas performance running socks for me. My biggest problem with socks is when they lose their tightness and shape over time (that may sound funny but I don't know how else to say it) and the Bombas don't do that for me. I have about 15 pairs that have been all I've worn for the past 18 to 24 months.

Agree 100%. The bombas running socks have become my go to everyday sock as well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Balaga. Even as calloused as my feet are, they hold up pretty well. I'm moving away from Feetures even though I have a ton of those. You can try those too.
Dolemite
AG
The 2xu vectors are nice if you are looking for a mild compression sock in a crew length or shorter.
AggieOO
91AggieLawyer said:

Balaga. Even as calloused as my feet are, they hold up pretty well. I'm moving away from Feetures even though I have a ton of those. You can try those too.

You know how I know you didn't read my post?
htxag09
AG
+? for swiftwick. I've yet to have to throw away a pair. Actually technically threw away my first pair at IMTX last weekend because they were in my special needs run bag and I didn't need them.

Agree with your comment on the injinjinis (sp?). I switched to those as I was getting blisters between my toes. But when I started doing triathlons I knew there was no way in hell I'd be taking the time to put those on so went back to swiftwick.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I just ran Chicago in Swiftwick. I alternate Balega, Swiftwick, feetures and injinji.

My Experia and Thorlos kept getting holes so I quit buying
K Bo
AG
Been running mostly in Drymax but just ordered some Bombas to try.
91AggieLawyer
AG
AggieOO said:

91AggieLawyer said:

You know how I know you didn't read my post?

I've got a bad habit of not reading all of it, but I think that issue has to do with specific feet. I've never worn out any Feeture or Belaga sock. And I have rough feet to the extent that I wear out my bed sheets. To each his own.

I can only go by my experience. These are all I've worn in the last decade and a half.
An Ag in CO
AG
I run a lot of miles and have found that trail running socks hold up much better for me than road running socks. I also appreciate the little bit of extra cushioning they provide. I'll grab the nearest pair of socks for a shorter run, but when I'm running long - trail or pavement - I'll always grab the trail running socks. They've also become my favorite race socks.
htxag09
AG
strbrst777 said:

I've run about 45,000 miles. Only recently I started spraying canola or olive oil on my toes and on the toes of my socks. Less friction, especially on my big toes. Weird, perhaps, but it crossed my mind, I tried it and I like it.

NoahAg
Laugh but I found some cheap Copperfit socks that have held up well under "normal" training runs. Also use Skechers socks. I'm cheap so I usually save my good socks (Balega, Swiftwick) for my long runs and races.
K Bo
AG
Received my Bombas over the weekend and have two runs in the books in them. Time will tell but I think they might be my new favorite running sock.
AggieEP
Haven't seen rockay socks mentioned yet, but I have a few pairs of these that I've used for 10 plus mile runs and haven't developed any holes in them with about 6 months of time on them now.

Also kind of an off the wall suggestion, but Nike's performance basketball socks are basically invincible. I've had some pairs for like 10 years now and have never developed a hole under extremely hard use including some pretty long runs. (Nothing over 13.1 though)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.