Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Sober October

3,411 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXTransplant
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While this is a stretch given the state of the football team right now, I think I'm going to give this a go the rest of the month. I always enjoy Dryuary and thought it would be good to do a reset before the holiday season starts. Anyone else drying out this month?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
TXTransplant
I was already in. Decided I'm giving up alcohol a couple of weeks ago.

Plan is for this to be for the long haul. My body just cannot tolerate alcohol anymore, even in reasonable doses. If my body is screaming at me that loudly, I figured I'd better listen.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I feel you. If I have one drink at night these days it disrupts my sleep. Too much going on these days to miss sleep over an old habit. It's remarkable how much more productive I am when I am off the sauce. I wish I could remind myself more convincingly when Friday afternoon rolls around.
K Bo
AG
Also in. Partly for similar reasons listed above but also to better focus on training for Houston Marathon in Jan.
TXTransplant
One or two glasses of wine disrupts my sleep. Any more than that and I'm likely to be on my knees praying to the porcelain god for the next 24-48 hours. I'm too old for that.
K Bo
AG
Checking in. Still going strong here. Haven't really craved alcohol, yet, which is surprising. I was quite anxious during the Alabama game but chewing on a popsicle stick helped, haha. I've been sleeping great and waking up feeling rested. Even just a single beer or drink can disrupt my sleep and I don't miss that one bit! Waking up early on Sat and Sun, crushing a run, then being productive has been awesome.
TXTransplant
No problems here, and I feel fantastic. But I'm also doing a 6 week nutrition program, and alcohol doesn't fit with that. So, I'm not at all tempted. The test will be when the six weeks is over.
K Bo
AG
I'm also doing a nutrition program where alcohol does not fit so that's also a big factor.
Ag 11
AG
I'm on day 11 of another no booze challenge. I've done a couple of 30 day ones & the highest I've gone is 50.
aggiejim70
AG
If I don't drink and don't die before the end of the month it will be 31 consecutive Sober Octobers for me.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tree Hugger
AG
What is the reason for the sleep disruption? I don't consume much at all anymore, but when I do, I generally wake up around 3AM and am restless for the remainder of the night.

Logic would say a depressant would put you out for the night, but obviously that isn't the case.
ptothemo
AG
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/nutrition/alcohol-and-sleep

A lot of science that does a good job of explaining it in that link.
Gabster43213
According to my doctor, alcohol may help to induce sleep but a person's quality of sleep changes during the second half of the sleep period. Ultimately, it increases the number of times you awaken in the later half of the night keeping a person from getting the sleep your body needs.
TXTransplant
The dehydration gets me, too. I'll wake up in the middle of the night from from thirst if I have more than maybe 1-2 glasses of wine.
Geriatric Punk
AG
ptothemo said:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/nutrition/alcohol-and-sleep

A lot of science that does a good job of explaining it in that link.
MaxPower
I got the Oura ring and it's pretty incredible how much my sleep rating drops if I have even one drink within a couple hours of going to sleep. I'm normally mid 90s but if I drink it's low to mid 70's. It's mostly due to higher heart rate and lower heart rate variability.
Sea Speed
AG
TXTransplant said:

Plan is for this to be for the long haul. My body just cannot tolerate alcohol anymore, even in reasonable doses. If my body is screaming at me that loudly, I figured I'd better listen.

Coming up on 3 years for me early 22. Go get em.
Jackal99
AG
Sea Speed said:

TXTransplant said:

Coming up on 3 years for me early 22. Go get em.
I'll hit two years on NYE.
Sea Speed
AG
What a day to quit
Jackal99
AG
Okay, I guess NYD was the day I quit. I was going to go for the month of January anyway, then a week or so later wound up having to have surgery. When they took my gallbladder out, on the advice of the surgeon, I decided to lay off for a while, and just never went back to it.
Sea Speed
AG
Good for you. I made s goal and hit it and set another goal which I haven't hit yet, and may never hit. Either way, once I hit it who knows if I pop another cork or not. Life is pretty great these days.
K Bo
AG
Sober October going so well I might roll it in to Sovember
jagvocate
AG
Got started late but I'm up for another round

of sobriety in November!

CoolaidWade
AG
For those who wear Garmin and utilize the body battery function:

If I have more then two drinks before bed my body battery per garmin doesn't budge. If it's 25 the night before it's around 25-30 when I wake up.

If I have no drinks before bed and it's 25 then it'll be 100 when I wake up or around 75 if I have one drink.

This is every single time.

Very interesting what the watch perceives as rest from heart rate and movement combined with alcohol.
Sea Speed
AG
that is interesting. i have wanted the whoop strap to get more heart info and knowledge about what makes me sleep better, but this sounds like it does the same thing. does it require a subscription? does it come on their basic watches?

CoolaidWade
AG
USea Speed said:

that is interesting. i have wanted the whoop strap to get more heart info and knowledge about what makes me sleep better, but this sounds like it does the same thing. does it require a subscription? does it come on their basic watches?

I believe body battery is on most of their watches and is fairly accurate IMO. I have a vivoactive 4 and have worn it every day/night for about two years and have logged about a hundred workouts/runs/bike rides since then as well as two years of sleep patterns and other health issues.

EDIT: And I applaud everyone who has quit drinking. I consider myself to at one time be a high functioning alcoholic. While I haven't quit altogether for the last ten years I have limited myself to two drinks Friday/Saturday night. Maybe a few more during college football or travel days. I guess I love good beer / wine too much and need to know I have all the control?

Sea Speed
AG
what does it use to come up with that number? I looked in to whoop strap and they have proprietary algorithm and what not but you have to have cell service to get it to work and have to pay a subscription so i am out on that. I am very interested in what my recovery is like, which i assume is what body battery is.
aggiejim70
AG
What's a high functioning alcoholic?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CoolaidWade
AG
Sea Speed said:

what does it use to come up with that number? I looked in to whoop strap and they have proprietary algorithm and what not but you have to have cell service to get it to work and have to pay a subscription so i am out on that. I am very interested in what my recovery is like, which i assume is what body battery is.

Everything you want to know about Garmin body battery

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=VOFJAsiXut9K19k1qEn5W5
Sea Speed
AG
thanks!
TXTransplant
Thought I'd check in. Made it to last week. Went on vacation and had some wine/champagne while I was traveling. My hard stop is three glasses of anything, and even that's too many. Two is my max. And I will say, I'm not enjoying it quite the same.

Had a little sparkling on Thanksgiving, too, but I was busy cooking while the rest of my family drank all the alcohol. I don't think I even had two glasses, and the red wine was completely gone by the time we sat down to eat. I'm counting that as a small victory because family tends to drive me to drink.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.