Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ozempic | Weight Loss

22,177 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BassCowboy33
PuryearAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same request for me... I am working with my ins provider to figure out what is covered, so I can start making changes. Currently at a 44% BMI, and know I am a fat A that needs to get and be more responsible.
billyjack2009
I haven't been able to get Ozempic this year. Have put on 20 lbs of the 50-55 I lost since Dec 2020. Crazy thing is, I'm exercising more than I ever have. I'd love to say it's muscle but that's only part of it.

I wish I'd done things differently. My doctor was right. I should have gotten the exercise routine down first and built up my muscle mass before dieting. As soon as I couldn't get Ozempic, the weight started coming on. Then we get a Peloton and I was doing better. Then I broke my GD foot and I sat on my arse and ate my feelings all summer.

Now I bike 3-4 times a week (Discover Your Power Zones program - currently in week 4) and do strength 3-4 days/week. I eat lots more fish, generally fast 14-16 hours a day.

I'm a woman (my handle implies I'm a guy) and I turn 50 in December. So there's all that comes with that.

Anyhoo, I'm switching off my husband's health plan to my employer's in January because Ozempic is covered on my employer's formulary. I've always struggled with what feels like hypoglycemia and the Ozempic makes that so much better. I just feel better on it. I feel no shame in saying that!
Nom de Plume
AG
BMI 33 checking in.

Any worries about the (potentially unknown at this point) long term negative effects?

I'm glad those on this thread feel it's worth it. I'm a little concerned by the rampant use and it touted as a miracle drug.
billyjack2009
I think KidDoc basically said it was a miracle drug. Ok, not miracle, but the results are amazing and and the drug seems to be targeting the right things.

I wonder about the long-term effects of the glutides, but I KNOW the long-term effects of being overweight are bad so I'm willing to roll the dice.
Jbob04
AG
I've seen reports and videos stating it's causes lean muscle mass loss and possible a decrease in bone density as well. This drug seems too good to be true honestly. There are healthier ways to lose weight, you don't need drugs to do it.
fc2112
Jbob04 said:

There are healthier ways to lose weight, you don't need drugs to do it.
Yes. Take it from a guy who's lost about 100 lbs at the age of 55 by simply changing my relationship to food. I am now 61 and in the best shape of my life.

The key is simply to get healthy and let the weight take care of itself. We've all heard and seen the advice here:

• Eat more protein and fewer carbs. Humans ate that way for the first 999,000 years of our existence - our bodies are optimized to eat that way.
  • Humans ate simple foods - meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc. Do that.
  • Fast every now and then - humans used to have to fast between mastodon feasts
  • Cut out processed sugar - white sugar is the devil and foreign to our system
  • Drink as much water as you can stand
  • Get moving. While building muscle mass is the best way to keep fat off, the best exercise program is the one you enjoy enough to keep going with

Yes it will take some time and yes you will experience discomfort. But it costs $0 and is the only proven way to lose and keep weight off.
dahouse
AG
I'm on a generic through Ways2Well. I had read about the muscle loss so I make sure to get in the gym 3-4 days per week.

I'm down about 20 lbs and have about 15 more to go. After years of chasing bad cholesterol and triglyceride numbers, my last bloodwork shows everything normal.

I'm also on TRT, so that may be helping as well.

I'm a fan.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Quinn
AG
FitzChivalry said:

Same here.

Started in October of 2021 with a weight of 240. Right around 205-207 now. I have taken some small breaks from Ozempic here and there.

Has really helped me tighten my diabetes control as well. Last A1C was the lowest I have had since before puberty. Also helped me identify undiagnosed retinopathy to the point where surgery saved vision in my right eye.

Truly magnificent medication.
Are you Type 1? I am and my doctor has said that I could take this. I am 25ish pounds above where I want to be, so I have held off as I would like to try and lose it myself first. Any issues with low blood sugars at all? Sounds like it has been pretty helpful for you overall.
KidDoc
AG
Quinn said:

FitzChivalry said:

Same here.

Started in October of 2021 with a weight of 240. Right around 205-207 now. I have taken some small breaks from Ozempic here and there.

Has really helped me tighten my diabetes control as well. Last A1C was the lowest I have had since before puberty. Also helped me identify undiagnosed retinopathy to the point where surgery saved vision in my right eye.

Are you Type 1? I am and my doctor has said that I could take this. I am 25ish pounds above where I want to be, so I have held off as I would like to try and lose it myself first. Any issues with low blood sugars at all? Sounds like it has been pretty helpful for you overall.
For a type 1 I would insist they be on CGM (edit for spelling) as the risk of hypoglycemia would be very real with how little you eat. You would need to drop your basal/long term insulin rapidly as well.

I've had a slow drift over 15 months up to 215-220 from 200-205 but I am generally disciplined with food and exercise just get bumps when I travel and have fun. I'm nearing my threshold to start another round of treatment but not there yet.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FitzChivalry
AG
Quinn said:

FitzChivalry said:

Same here.

I am a type 1 diabetic.

Overall I have not had much of an issue with hypoglycemia while using a 1mg dose weekly. Have always been very aware of lows before a CGM or glucometer will detect.

Definitely off label for T1 therapy but it has contributed to maintaining sub 6.5 A1C's for the past 2 years.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I am barely Type 2 diabetic with an A1C of a steady 6.5

I'm also definitely overweight and my PCP has me on Ozempic. Was started on the .25 and now on my 2nd dose of .5 and not seeing any weight loss. Should I discuss moving to the 1.00 dosage?
KidDoc
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

I am barely Type 2 diabetic with an A1C of a steady 6.5

I'm also definitely overweight and my PCP has me on Ozempic. Was started on the .25 and now on my 2nd dose of .5 and not seeing any weight loss. Should I discuss moving to the 1.00 dosage?
After a month on the 0.5 yes I would.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
https://tuckercarlson.com/the-case-against-ozempic/

Some pretty amazing and scary claims in this video.

Quote:

The Case Against Ozempic

TIMESTAMP HEADLINE
00:03:10
Govt Money to Soda Companies

00:05:00
Taking Advantage of Americans

00:06:29
Stomach Paralysis

00:14:34
Ozempic for Life

00:22:48
SSRIs for Teens

00:27:34
The Root of Almost Everything: Diabetes

00:33:15
How Pharma Subverts the News Business

ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm no big Tucker fan, and I think the GLP-1 agonists like ozempic are fantastic medicines. All that said, it's still a expensive chemical solution to an expensive chemical problem. The base problem is that American food is unhealthy. It is not inherently unhealthy, but it is processed to be more unhealthy. That processing is subsidized, so that the processed unhealthy food is actually cheaper than the healthy food prior to processing. The biggest culpit is high fructose corn syrup, but it is far from the only one. Our country actively pays our food system to make our food less healthy. This is the reason we have more obesity and more diabetes than any other country.

Now if you have a country of overweight diabetics, you have a few options. You can actually stop subsidizing unhealthy foods or you can give people a drug that reverses the issue. Only one of those options makes people a lot of money, so we're opting for "ozempic for all". Don't get me wrong, these meds are awesome. But they are an expensive solution with real potential side effects (like thyroid cancer and pancreatitis)
KidDoc
AG
HBO did a documentary years ago called Weight of the Nation that goes into the whole funding and food issue. It is a back breaking problem and our government has no motivation to fix it. They love giving handouts to farmers, subsidizing benefits for minimum wage/fast food workers, and getting big funds from Pharma on the other end.

At a minimum not allowing food stamps to buy junk food would be a nice start.
BassCowboy33
As an outsider who is not on Ozempic, I'm curious what peeps think of the news cycle on the drug lately, especially the class-action suit about severe stomach/gastrointestinal issues, concerns that it raises suicidal thoughts, and the shortage due to overwhelming abuse from the fitness community?

I interviewed some medical people a while back for a different story, and they told me that it's already the most abused prescription drug on the market, yet it's prescribed to pretty much anyone who wants it.
Howard Roark
AG
A few weeks ago I met up with a former colleague who I believe might be abusing Mounjaro (legally). I've known him for 5+ years and he's always been in great shape - someone who lifts and runs consistently. I immediately noticed something about his face had changed but didn't think about it too much until halfway through dinner when he told me he'd been on Mounjaro for the last 4 months. I said something like "surely not for weight loss" but he said he wanted to get rid of his "baby fat" and his doctor had been pushing it. When his A1C went up slightly (he said he "thinks it's still in the normal range") he decided to give it a shot.

I was honestly pretty shocked - this guy is 36 and definitely less than 15% body fat. For someone I consider pretty intelligent I was blown away by how casually he took it. The next day I looked back at some of his Facebook photos and he looked so much healthier a year ago.
BassCowboy33
Interesting article on some of the health problems people have on Ozempic. Seems to work really well for most, but a decent minority have some serious side effects.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2024/02/ozempic-not-working-weight-loss/677411/?taid=65d594ea47c3790001f7efd2&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=true-anthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
KidDoc
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Interesting article on some of the health problems people have on Ozempic. Seems to work really well for most, but a decent minority have some serious side effects.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2024/02/ozempic-not-working-weight-loss/677411/?taid=65d594ea47c3790001f7efd2&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=true-anthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
Locked behind a pay wall. I strongly suspect most of these are due to inappropriate dosing and absent medical management.
BassCowboy33
KidDoc said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Locked behind a pay wall. I strongly suspect most of these are due to inappropriate dosing and absent medical management.

Article says a couple of things:

1) Roughly 17% of Ozempic users see no results. Scientists aren't sure why, but they think it's a genetic deal where the body just doesn't respond to the drug at all. The hope is that other weight loss drugs in the works, that work in different ways, can cover these people.

2) Another ~15% of users experience severe gastrointestinal issues and vomiting. Sometimes the pain passes after a few days. Other times it doesn't, and those people have to get off the drug for their safety. This is where the class action lawsuit comes from.

3) There's also an "inverse steroid" worry, where people on the drug drop significant body fat and muscle mass. When they drop off the drug, their body returns to its previous state. While that isn't unusual, there's worry it could create a situation where people use the drug long-term, which worries scientists about chronic effects (which may or may not be bad). I suspect this is what a previous poster was getting at, and I wonder if we'll start seeing an "Ozempic Skinny/Skeletor" look in the future.

It's more an informational piece that extolls how the drug can help people but goes into why it's definitely not for everyone.
KidDoc
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

KidDoc said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Article says a couple of things:

1) Roughly 17% of Ozempic users see no results. Scientists aren't sure why, but they think it's a genetic deal where the body just doesn't respond to the drug at all. The hope is that other weight loss drugs in the works, that work in different ways, can cover these people.

2) Another ~15% of users experience severe gastrointestinal issues and vomiting. Sometimes the pain passes after a few days. Other times it doesn't, and those people have to get off the drug for their safety. This is where the class action lawsuit comes from.

3) There's also an "inverse steroid" worry, where people on the drug drop significant body fat and muscle mass. When they drop off the drug, their body returns to its previous state. While that isn't unusual, there's worry it could create a situation where people use the drug long-term, which worries scientists about chronic effects (which may or may not be bad). I suspect this is what a previous poster was getting at, and I wonder if we'll start seeing an "Ozempic Skinny/Skeletor" look in the future.

It's more an informational piece that extolls how the drug can help people but goes into why it's definitely not for everyone.

From my personal experience with Wegovy and just general medical knowledge I strongly suspect the 17% who don't drop weight are drinking a significant amount of calories. GLP-1's are remarkably effective at slowing gastric emptying resulting in early satiety and decreased appetite. However, drinking a bunch of sugar will continue to boost your daily caloric intake and GLP-1 will not help with liquid intake. This can be any liquid sugar whether it is booze or soft drinks or juice.

The muscle loss is a valid concern and likely reality as you are severely caloric restricted. To counter this the diet needs to be very high in protein. If you are eating a bunch of empty carbs and not exercising you will get the skeletor look for sure. In addition vitamin defiencies and constipation are very real concerns.

Again these are very powerful tools in the obesity realm but they are for sure risky if not managed properly.
kermas
My Mom takes Ozempic. It really helped her lose weight and manage her health condition.
But having looked through this discussion, I understood that she is just lucky not to face any issues. I read about this medication on the Canadian pharmacy site when it was prescribed and didn't find any complaints, though. Most people wrote that they found it helpful.
True Anomaly
AG
kermas said:

My Mom takes Ozempic. It really helped her lose weight and manage her health condition.
But having looked through this discussion, I understood that she is just lucky not to face any issues. I read about this medication when it was prescribed and didn't find any complaints, though. Most people wrote that they found it helpful.
Because most actually do find it helpful without significant side effects. Which is important to remember when other online sources focus only on the negatives
BassCowboy33
kermas said:

But having looked through this discussion, I understood that she is just lucky not to face any issues. I read about this medication when it was prescribed and didn't find any complaints, though. Most people wrote that they found it helpful.

Seems like it helps most people and the abuse issue is more of a problem than the side effects. Read an article yesterday that said diabetics are struggling to get it, because so many people in the fitness community are on it, which is crazy but probably shouldn't be surprising.

I do think some of the questions being asked are legit. The WSJ published an article today about part of our discussion, the long-term effects of the drug. This isn't something designed to be taken for prolonged periods of time, and there's worry people are just gonna sit on it forever.

Edit: forgot the link, lol.
https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness/stop-taking-ozempic-wegovy-weight-loss-c0e11316
Quinn
AG
What about it is designed such that it can't be taken for a long time?
BassCowboy33
Quinn said:

What about it is designed such that it can't be taken for a long time?
It seems, from recent op-eds, that the medical community is asking the opposite question. What about it is designed such that it can be taken for a long time?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.