Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

300 On Squat For First Time Ever!

1,199 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sea Speed
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has been a while in the making but has been one of the first major goals i set for myself. Wasn't a part of my workout for the day but I threw in a 300x1 at the end of my working sets because i was feeling great and I crushed it. On week four of Candito 6 week plan and I'm loving it so far. Tomorrow is another squat day and per the plan I should be hitting 310 i believe. Looking forward to it.
Sea Speed
AG
Ftr im closer to 40 than 30
wcb
10andBOUNCE
AG
Nice. I'm in the same vicinity as you with my squat. Had a similar workout last week with deadlifts and shocked myself with a new a new PR.
mrmill3218
AG
Congrats on the 300. Been a goal of mine for several years now, although I've been really hampered by a knee injury that is finally getting better after several years.

I got super close to 300 about five years ago and really took it for granted because I'm about 60 pounds off of it right now. Doing 5/3/1 and hoping to get there in the next year.

What has been the biggest help for you?
Sea Speed
AG
I had been doing 5x5 forever and kind of making my own plan with it which helped with linear growth some (linear cant last forever) but I think just wasn't enough volume. I switched to the candito program on 5 July and week 1 and 2 left me shaking from the squat workouts which had never happened before.

I think switching my routine, getting out of my comfort zone and increasing the volume really helped. My schedule is also kind of all over the place and I had a few weeks of consistency that certainly helped.

So far I can't recommend candito enough. It was recommended to me by a competitive powerlifter who knows his stuff.

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-programs/

Sea Speed
AG
Thats awesome. I'm on the cusp of 400 and that's my next term goal for that particular lift.
Max Power
AG
Congrats, nice to see effort paying off. Alas my knees won't let me squat heavy anymore so I have to stick with moderate weight and just go for reps, which makes for hellacious cardio. I was able to get 400 back in my 20's, still over 300 in my 30s, now I'm 41 and my joints just don't feel as good as they used to so I don't try to do legs on a heavy basis.
mrmill3218
AG
Which Candito program did you do?
Sea Speed
AG
6 week program. Heading in to week 5 but won't be able to do heavy squats this week for other reasons.
MouthBQ98
AG
Nice. My own PR is 265. I can still hit it but my 165 lb frame can't take much more at this age, so 300 is more than I'll ever do.

Deadlift is my enemy. I hit a wall around 300 and breaking through is difficult. That, and bench press.
Sea Speed
AG
I've got shoulder issues so sometimes I have to take real steps back on bench. I dont mind too much because I dont want to hurt myself. 1RM probably around 245 right now. I think 1 more round of the candito 6 week program could see me hitting 1000 combined.

At some point I will need to find a maintenance program because I can't keep trying to max as I get older.
mrmill3218
AG
Candito looks really good. I think my problem is that I wouldn't get my cardio in.

Currently I do 5/3/1 and then a Crossfit wod and that gives me my strength and cardo/fitness.
Sea Speed
AG
You would have to figure out your priorities. You want to get stronger maybe stop that for 6 weeks and bulk a bit. I didn't mention it, but recovery is a massive part of what you need in order to get stronger and build more muscle. If you're doing powerlifts and then doing crossfire, you may just be overtraining and need to dial it back a bit.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Take this for what it's worth, but I've never been stronger since going by Starting strength. Within 5 months I got up to 365 for a 1x5. Started at 225 for 3x5 for reference. Goal is 405 for 1x5. But keep getting interrupted by family stuff.

Keep going. With correct form and eating tons of protein, you'll be at 400 in no time.
2girlsdad
Congrats! Those round numbers are rewarding!
Sea Speed
AG
CRUSHED THREE FIFTEEN TODAY. AAAAAAGGGHHH.

305x2 was last working set and I won't be able to squat next week so I told myself to go for it.

I almost can not believe I've pushed myself this hard for so long to hit that. Hit so many walls and resets. Such a gratifying feeling. Well worth the sore legs for so long. Rage face of power.
AgEng06
AG
Post a video of your squats so we can tell you that you're doing it wrong...

Just kidding... Congrats on the progress! That candito looks like a cool program.

I finally hit 305 a month or so ago after a lot trying and it was a great feeling. I'm not quite to my "goal" of 225/315/405, but I also don't specially train for it (maxes are 225/305/385). I'm also 160 lbs, so I'm happy with where I am either way.
Sea Speed
AG
No way would I ever let my form get critiqued by TA. On that note, you are supposed to stop just before parallel, right?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.