Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Apple Watch vs. Garmin

1,206 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Crazy Ag 97
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I realize that there are numerous options with Garmin, but what is your preference for a watch with multi sport features?
The Pilot
AG
Garmin
Kool
AG
I use an iPhone, but I love my Garmin Fenix 5 watch. I am not exactly a luddite. But if I really wanted to use my watch for texts, phone, etc., I suppose I would prefer Apple Watches. Plus, I like the look of a normal circular faced watch when I am using it for what it is - a watch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Is the Garmin sleek enough to be worn with a long sleeve dress shirt? Or will the sleeve not fit over the face?
Pepper Brooks
AG
My instinct fits under a dress shirt just fine.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I currently use the Garmin 105. I think that is what it is called. It's the basement level watch that was offered by Garmin years ago, but it is no longer supported by GC. Prior to that I had the 975, but it was way too big to wear with business attire.
Kool
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Is the Garmin sleek enough to be worn with a long sleeve dress shirt? Or will the sleeve not fit over the face?
Some but not all. I wear dress shirts in the office, and some of them will fit the watch under the shirt cuff and some won't. Regardless, it doesn't bother me in the least if it fits outside of the cuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
htxag09
AG
Been several threads on this, to sum up:

If you want a smart watch that can do activities, Apple Watch.

If you want an activity/sport watch first, garmin.

Apple blows garmin away in smart watch features and garmin will never catch up. Simply a function of Apple not allowing them to use their ecosystem for things like iMessage. Garmin blows Apple away in every other aspect: battery, metrics, reliability, etc.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
my wife has to charge her apple watch every night...

i charge my garmin 5 fenix once every 7-10 days...

track sleep data, etc...

she is jealous
BQ04
AG
Apple watch has proven unreliable for distance running mainly due to battery life and will literally freeze in sub 36* weather.

However, integration with Apple ecosystem is fantastic AND it fits under a shirt sleeve.

When milage starts to ramp back up this fall I intend to purchase a cheaper version of Garmin just for runs.
Big Cat `93
AG
All of the above apply to Polar v. Apple, as well. I have the Vantage M2. It's also slightly lighter than an Apple Watch.
94chem
I have a Garmin 645. The chrome bezel, round face, and normal watch size make it look really nice for business casual. Battery life is great. I made an analog face. Apple Watch is just a wrist phone. You'll get tired of it if you want to use it for working out. Plus, it's ugly. Might as well wear a phylactery.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
'03ag
Buford T. Justice said:

I'll always have sleeves rolled up, butt I just checked my Fenix 5, and it is kind of a tight squeeze. The 5S should be a little slimmer.

The 6S even thinner I bet.
BQ04
AG
BQ04 said:

Apple watch has proven unreliable for distance running mainly due to battery life and will literally freeze in sub 36* weather.

However, integration with Apple ecosystem is fantastic AND it fits under a shirt sleeve.

When milage starts to ramp back up this fall I intend to purchase a cheaper version of Garmin just for runs.
ETA

The cellular option on the Apple Watch is pretty convenient. I'll often leave the phone behind and just take a pair of air pods if the call is going to last longer than 20sec.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Garmin 945 and I've never had an issue with dress shirts. The 945 is much slimmer and lighter than the Fenix, but both look good enough to wear 90% of the time.

As mentioned previously, if you want a smart watch that can be occasionally be used for a light workout, Apple. If you serious about multi sport in any capacity, get a Garmin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.