Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Waking up rested

1,769 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgsMyDude
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else struggle with this? Even on nights when I get good sleep I'm not one to bounce out at 6 AM to go crush a ride like I was 5 years ago.

Any suggestions for a morning jump start?
PlanoAg98
AG
Age?

I just turned 45 a few months ago. The quality of sleep has degraded over the past 5 years. Also, the soreness of the knees after boot camp has grown exponentially over that period.

I think these are just sign of getting older.
wcb
AG
Almost 47. Agreed, last 5 years have gone straight downhill.
mrsbeer05
AG
38 and have the same issue. Even without an alarm, I always wish for a little longer to sleep and rest. No alcohol and early to bed helps, but even when my watch says 100% I never truly feel it.
jejdag
59 and I don't remember ever waking up feeling rested. I guess there was probably a time that I did, but apparently was too long ago.
CDub06
AG
If anyone has the secret for this, please let me know. I don't know how I functioned after those college all-nighters. I'm dragging nowadays even after a good night of sleep.
Jack Klompus
AG
Have a sleep study done for sleep apnea?
MouthBQ98
AG
Some of it is consistency and some of it is comfort and some of it is a willful decision to get up and go with the knowledge that once you get moving, you'll feel better.

There are days I'll get up and be dragging, and have to basically stop and tell myself to not be a big puss and get moving. It's psychological.
jtraggie99
AG
Same problem for me, and everyone else I know in their 40's. I will say this, I use to have a lot of trouble falling asleep. A little pot before bed helps tremendously. I still may not be able to sleep late in the mornings (still wake up early most days, 6 - 7-ish, unless I'm up really late), but I do seem to sleep more soundly and don't wake up quite as tired.
Vernada
AG
For me it varies.

Any drinking and my sleep sucks. Typically I'll wake up around 4am and struggle to go back to sleep.

When I am eating relatively healthy and getting regular exercise (not even necessarily intense) AND keeping a consistent schedule, I can get some really good sleep and wake up feeling pretty good.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
46 here. I don't know about jumping out of bed feeling pumped for the day or about feeling 100% rested, but I pretty much wake up everyday between 5-5:15 without an alarm. For me it's just a mindset, I know that if I choose to sleep another hour which means doing that days workouts at lunch and/or after work, there's a much much higher chance something comes up and it gets skipped, and skipping a training session bothers me more than not sleeping another hour. I have noticed though, the more I workout, the easier it is to wake up. At this point it's just a habit.

The only day I seem to really "spring" out of bed are Saturdays. Generally, I'm up at 4:30, take the dog to the park for from 4:45-5:15 to play ball, and in the car heading to my ride by 5:30. I love my Saturday long rides and try to be at the parking lot by 6:00 when the gates open and be wheels down by 6:15 (6:30 at the absolute latest). It's just too damn hot to give up even a minute of the early morning temperatures.
P.U.T.U
AG
WCB, you are old.

Age, alcohol, caffeine, diet, hormones, all play a roll in sleep. Plus it is easier having a goal to push for and can take a while to come back.
wcb
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

The only day I seem to really "spring" out of bed are Saturdays. Generally, I'm up at 4:30, take the dog to the park for from 4:45-5:15 to play ball, and in the car heading to my ride by 5:30.
Username checks out
aggiespartan
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

46 here. I don't know about jumping out of bed feeling pumped for the day or about feeling 100% rested, but I pretty much wake up everyday between 5-5:15 without an alarm. For me it's just a mindset, I know that if I choose to sleep another hour which means doing that days workouts at lunch and/or after work, there's a much much higher chance something comes up and it gets skipped, and skipping a training session bothers me more than not sleeping another hour. I have noticed though, the more I workout, the easier it is to wake up. At this point it's just a habit.

The only day I seem to really "spring" out of bed are Saturdays. Generally, I'm up at 4:30, take the dog to the park for from 4:45-5:15 to play ball, and in the car heading to my ride by 5:30. I love my Saturday long rides and try to be at the parking lot by 6:00 when the gates open and be wheels down by 6:15 (6:30 at the absolute latest). It's just too damn hot to give up even a minute of the early morning temperatures.
I wake up pretty early consistently without an alarm too. I kind of just always have. And as soon as I get up, I get dressed, then I'm ready to do things. Most of the time, I can even tell myself the night before "I want to wake up by _____" and I'll wake up right before that time. I think it's mostly routine for me and the fact that I'm more of a morning person than a late night person.
Ragoo
AG
Take a shower in the morning. Make a cup of coffee if you need it. Get a better mattress or a softer pillow.

My problem with sleep is never quality or quantity it is desire. Sleep is necessary but being awake is more fun.
Iowaggie
AG
aggiespartan said:

Crazy Ag 97 said:

I wake up pretty early consistently without an alarm too. I kind of just always have. And as soon as I get up, I get dressed, then I'm ready to do things. Most of the time, I can even tell myself the night before "I want to wake up by _____" and I'll wake up right before that time. I think it's mostly routine for me and the fact that I'm more of a morning person than a late night person.
AgsMyDude
AG
Same here. 32.

I couldn't tell you the last time my alarm clock actually woke me up and typically pretty tired most of the day.

Been experimenting with different CBD products but haven't found one that works well, seems to stimulate me more than anything if taken before bed.

Melatonin makes me crazy sluggish unless I drink a pot of coffee which just keeps me up later, feedback loop
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.