Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

CPAP

3,620 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by southernboy1
Johnny Danger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in March and have been using a CPAP over the last several months. Prior to this I would get horrendous hangovers and even felt tired the next day after 3 pints. Now, I generally feel rested throughout the day and hangovers have significantly decreased. Anyone have the same experience and if so, does the forced air and oxygen saturation help you "detox" efficiently while sleeping?
UnderoosAg
AG
CPAP going on three years. I think it's just sleeping better in general. If I fall asleep without putting the mask on after drinking, I feel like dog **** the next day. Kinda like people who snore extra rowdy after drinking. It's amazing what your body can and will do when you let it get real sleep.
TRM
AG
Johnny Danger said:

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in March and have been using a CPAP over the last several months. Prior to this I would get horrendous hangovers and even felt tired the next day after 3 pints. Now, I generally feel rested throughout the day and hangovers have significantly decreased. Anyone have the same experience and if so, does the forced air and oxygen saturation help you "detox" efficiently while sleeping?
Your "hangovers" were in all likelihood headaches from lack of oxygen - I'll assume there were some nights that were hangover worthy . I would wake up with horrible headaches before I was diagnosed and they went away when I got on a CPAP.
LOYAL AG
AG
Have you read my tonsillectomy thread? Nobody has responded so I don't really know whose looked at it. I was pretty adamant about not being on a CPAP so I started with an ENT knowing that this surgery would eliminate my snoring. It's made a huge difference for me.

Something to consider.
Johnny Danger
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Have you read my tonsillectomy thread? Nobody has responded so I don't really know whose looked at it. I was pretty adamant about not being on a CPAP so I started with an ENT knowing that this surgery would eliminate my snoring. It's made a huge difference for me.

Something to consider.

Thanks but been without tonsils since 1st grade
pasquale
AG
I'm having a hard time finding the right mask. I apparently toss and side sleeper and mask knocks off in middle of night so basically the same as waking myself up prior to the CPAP
TRM
AG
My first month or so I would end up tossing the mask off in the middle of my sleep, so I had to use an strap from the chin over the head to keep things in place. After another couple months, I didn't need it.
pasquale
AG
TRM said:

My first month or so I would end up tossing the mask off in the middle of my sleep, so I had to use an strap from the chin over the head to keep things in place. After another couple months, I didn't need it.

What model machine and mask are you using ?
LOYAL AG
AG
Johnny Danger said:

LOYAL AG said:

Something to consider.

Thanks but been without tonsils since 1st grade
OK. Just wanted to make sure it had been considered. They did tell me it's not unheard of for someone that got them pulled as a young child to have them grow back enough to be a problem again later in life but it wasn't common.

Anyway just a thought. To me anything was better than that damn machine my dad sleeps with. Two months later I've been thrilled with the results. Good luck!
TRM
AG
pasquale said:

TRM said:

What model machine and mask are you using ?
Well, I was using the Philips Respironics Dreamstation, but that was recalled. I switched back to my old machine of a Philips Remstar C-Flex. Pretty sure this is the mask I use
https://www.cpapdirect.com/masks/fisher-and-paykel-eson-2-nasal-cpap-mask-without-headgear
UnderoosAg
AG
If you're not a month breather, nasal pillows are probably the most comfortable. I have the Airfit P10
MarathonAg12
Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea guy here (AHI 34)

I have my good weeks and I have my bad weeks with my mask. Sometimes I just want to rip that thing off my face and just sleep without it. I have some insomnia and currently trying different prescriptions.

Last couple nights were great and I feel great!
Philip J Fry
AG
I've been trying for months. Apparently, around the 2 hour bark every night, I violently rip it off. Not sure how to remedy what I don't remember doing.
dlp3719
AG
Philip J Fry said:

I've been trying for months. Apparently, around the 2 hour bark every night, I violently rip it off. Not sure how to remedy what I don't remember doing.

I had this problems for months too. Phillips Dreamwear nasal finally is what worked for me.
KyleJ2012
AG
Side sleeping mouth breather here. With the standard full face mask I was having the same problem. Frustration and ripping the mask off in the middle of the night. Also was giving me bad irritation at the top of my nose.

I started using the mask linked below, plus sensitive skin tape (also linked below) over my mouth to keep me from mouth breathing. The mask covers your mouth, but I noticed that I was still breathing out of my mouth and having issues when I didn't use tape. (Dry mouth, headaches, teeth grinding). The tape obviously takes some getting used to, but it has worked wonders for me. Also, once you find the mask sizing that works best for you, it's cheapest to order the piece parts on Amazon. Link below has multiple cushion sizes to try out.

Mask:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/philips-respironics-dreamwear-full-face-cpap-mask-fit-pack

Sensitive Skin Tape: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HA8SOSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T7CZ5D9KE3HJZS22SM0Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also use this pillow, which helps with side sleeping and prevents the mask from getting jostled around by the pillow. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/contour-max-2-cpap-pillow-with-pillow-cover

This is what has worked for me. If your mouth breathing isn't terrible, then nasal pillows + sensitive tape would be a good option. I can't advocate for the tape enough. If I go on a one night business trip and don't want to pack my machine, I just use the tape by itself and it's a noticeable improvement. Probably should consult your doctor before doing the tape though, as my apnea is on the mild side. I'm guessing some could have issues if they aren't able to get adequate air through their nose.

My only complaint about my current set up is that sometimes I get leaks with the part of the mask that bumps up under my nose. If someone made an identical mask, but with nasal pillows instead of the opening this one has, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
D_Wag97
AG
Just started using a CPAP about a week ago. I've only been able to make it through the night with it a couple of times, and I really don't know about doing this for the rest of my life.

I'm using the Resmed AirSense 10 Respond and the AirFit N30i nasal mask.

I'm curious about the surgery - is it the tonsils or something else that is causing the obstruction/snoring? The CPAP was prescribed by a pulmonologist, and my home sleep study apparently said I was having 12 "events" per hour. My CPAP has brought it down to about 2, but I just don't think I want to have to deal with the thing for years and years (hopefully) to come. Should I be going to an ENT doctor instead?

Kool
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Just started using a CPAP about a week ago. I've only been able to make it through the night with it a couple of times, and I really don't know about doing this for the rest of my life.

I'm curious about the surgery - is it the tonsils or something else that is causing the obstruction/snoring? The CPAP was prescribed by a pulmonologist, and my home sleep study apparently said I was having 12 "events" per hour. My CPAP has brought it down to about 2, but I just don't think I want to have to deal with the thing for years and years (hopefully) to come. Should I be going to an ENT doctor instead?

Yes, see an ENT and have your airway assessed, from the tip of your nose all the way down to your larynx.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LOYAL AG
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Obstructive Sleep Apnea appears to be what I had. My ENT explained it as the jaw muscles relaxing when you fall asleep and everything collapsing back into the throat. The scale for tonsil size is 1-4 and he rated mine as a 3+ and said he expected me to sleep significantly better afterwards which has been correct. I don't snore at all anymore. I would visit an ENT, worst that happens is they say it's not the problem.

My dad had the same surgery about five years ago and still uses a CPAP. What they determined with him was that he had Obstructive Apnea but also had neurological apnea so that his brain was forgetting to breath during the night. There's no indication that's my problem.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
toolshed
AG
Just to piggy back on the op, where do y'all buy supplies? I go through American Homepatient, but I'm sure there's a better option out there. Just upgraded to an Airfit F20 mask from my old one. I saw on the digital sheet I signed that they charged $5-600 just for the stupid mask! Oh course the receipt I got only showed my payment.

I realize insurance paid for my supplies, but that's insane! I've quickly looked online at sites, I guess I need to dig a little deeper into them. Or ask my insurance if there's a better option.
TRM
AG
My old insurance required me to get my supplies from a specific supplier. My new employer's insurance doesn't require that, but if you use insurance that usually inflates the prices by a factor of 3.
chaca5151
D_Wag97 said:

I have that same setup and can honestly tell you it has made a world of difference in my life; as with anything, it takes some getting used to. It took probably a month for me to get used to the mask, sometimes it still gets in the way, but I've learned to get comfortable with it.

Now I had severe SA 33 events per hour; the app on my phone says I'm at an average of two events per hour now. If I don't have it with me or forget to bring it on trips, I am miserable; that was before I lost 60lbs, so not sure how bad it will be now.

When I first got mine, I would press the start button, and it would automatically ramp up to 20, which is what the doctor set at it; it was tough for me to get to sleep because it was so much air. I found out that I could set the air to ramp up after a certain time from pressing start. I have mine set to start at level 6 air, and 20 minutes after pressing start, it ramps it up to 20. Once I press start and I'm usually out within 10min.

Get on youtube and look for the advanced settings; you can do much more with the machine than what the doc gives you.

I will probably look into surgery once I lose another 60lbs or get down to 180lbs; I love how it opens up the air passages in my nose so I can breathe easier.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
Na Zdraví 87
AG
pasquale said:

I'm having a hard time finding the right mask. I apparently toss and side sleeper and mask knocks off in middle of night so basically the same as waking myself up prior to the CPAP

This!

Also, what about tori? I have bad tori in my mouth and my tongue has no place to rest down in my bottom jaw. Dental surgeon suggests removing them should help my breathing.
Tony Tedeschi
Took me a couple of months to get used to sleeping with a CPAP. The first few weeks were a real struggle. Now, I can't imagine sleeping without it. I use a full face mask.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

The CPAP was prescribed by a pulmonologist, and my home sleep study apparently said I was having 12 "events" per hour. My CPAP has brought it down to about 2

My sleep has been getting worse and worse over the years. I finally went to a sleep doctor and did the in home sleep assessment. I average 38 apnea events per hour and my lowest O2 level was 80%. I've started the motions to get a CPAP.
tailgating hall of fame
23 events an hour / lowest 02 level was the low 60's. C-PAP has made me feel much more rested.
PlanoAg98
AG
For those of you that got a CPAP, was the sleep study and CPAP machine covered by your insurance? Mine was denied. The sleep study costs $795 and the CPAP machines start at $975.
Kool
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

For those of you that got a CPAP, was the sleep study and CPAP machine covered by your insurance? Mine was denied. The sleep study costs $795 and the CPAP machines start at $975.

Why was it denied? Have you gone into your plan documents to see what their requirements are for covering CPAP? If AHI is over 5/hour, usually just needs a diagnosis of daytime impairment of some cardiovascular comorbidity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gabster43213
Did your PCP write a prescription for a new machine? Im surprised that insurance did not cover it unless you had not reached your deductible.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Did your PCP write a prescription for a new machine? Im surprised that insurance did not cover it unless you had not reached your deductible.
My PCP didn't refer me. I found this company on my own. I have met my deductible which is why I was pushing for the machine before EOY.
TRM
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

My PCP didn't refer me. I found this company on my own. I have met my deductible which is why I was pushing for the machine before EOY.
Yeah, that's probably why they denied you. Some insurance companies only deal with certain providers too.
Gabster43213
Plano,

It is important that you receive the machine prior to the end of the year. Some insurance companies will require proof that you are actually using the machine before paying for it.

Also, there is a major problem with machines made by Phillips. Therefore, you may want to look at the other major producer of machines.
southernboy1
AG
My insurance required me to use it at least 4 maybe 5 nights a week with 4 hours of use each night. There was also a 30 day time on that. If I met the requirement they paid if not you are responsible for the cost. I met my requirements. It's not comfortable at first but you will become more adapted to it. I still have problems at times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.