Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cramping in legs

1,346 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Frisco86
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm in decent shape and ride a bike or run a combined 5-6 times a week. Have done long runs on the trail of over 13-miles the previous 4 weeks. I have gotten bad cramps in my legs a couple time a year when I have gone a really long time in the heat and gotten dehydrated. The last time that happened was about 6 weeks ago. It was real, real bad. But I drank alot of fluids, cooled down, and was playing tennis by later that afternoon.

I was on vacation last week and had a 15 hour road trip (broken up over 2 days) to get to my destination. Once there I started getting cramps in my hip flexors and quads after walking a couple hundred yards. Pain so bad I had to lay in the sidewalk till I could stretch out. This continued off and on the entire 9 days of vacation. Sometimes I could walk a little and be ok, but sometimes the cramping would set on very quickly (One day I had to crawl most of 100-yards back to where we were staying).

I got back yesterday and after feeling better, tried to hop on the bike. That lasted about 3 min before cramping in my quads set in. Stretched alot last night. I went for a very light 2.5 mile run this morning on fairly level ground. Although my legs felt rough, they didnt cramp up.

Got home this evening, stretched and rolled for a few minutes and hopped on the bike. Lasted about 5 min before cramping in my glutes set in and got pretty painful.

I've been drinking plenty of water (in my opinion). I think about 80 oz today.

This is not fun and I've never had anything like this happen before. I have several races planned for this fall and really want to get back to training soon.

Thoughts?
Sea Speed
AG
When I get bad cramps I eat a bunch of bananas and drink a ton of water. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but it has done the trick for me.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Supplement with electrolyte salt. I like Base Salt and Saltstik chewables
dtkprowler
AG
Try pickle juice? Like said above, you need to supplement something. Salt, Potassium, electrolytes, something.
reproag
AG
I get cramps in my calves and found that potassium supplement helps. And I just use what HEB has.
Sweep4-2
Pickle juice and stretching works for me.
oldarmy76
I've drunken lots of fluids and salt supliments and done lots of stretching. I've gotten better through the week and think I may be back to normal. Looking forward to getting back at it.

Thanks everyone
htxag09
AG
Just don't think that because you're getting better, you can cut back on the water/electrolytes. Sure, you were at a deficit, but what you drank to get better is probably pretty close to what you should be consuming normally.
Frisco86
AG
Pickle juice shots. I used to cramp when cycling 3+ hours. No more
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.