Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cycling camera

1,132 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by chico
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go pro the best option out there for cycling cameras? Prefer a handlebar mount. After my ride Saturday, think it's time I invest in one. I've also seen some pretty cool stuff I wish I had captured, a few months ago a red tail hawk snagged a mouse about 15' in front of me.

Edit to add: would like a camera to double for vacations. We often go to resorts and snorkel, go on hiking trips, etc. and usually just borrow a friends' go pro for these trips.
AZAG08
AG
htxag09 said:

Go pro the best option out there for cycling cameras? Prefer a handlebar mount. After my ride Saturday, think it's time I invest in one. I've also seen some pretty cool stuff I wish I had captured, a few months ago a red tail hawk snagged a mouse about 15' in front of me.

Edit to add: would like a camera to double for vacations. We often go to resorts and snorkel, go on hiking trips, etc. and usually just borrow a friends' go pro for these trips.
Sounds like you are pretty familiar with GoPro already -- they make handle bar mounts for GoPro
htxag09
AG
Yeah. Mainly trying to see if there is a decent option that's significantly cheaper.
AZAG08
AG
ah ok...makes sense.

The only other thing I will add is while I've liked my GoPro for hikes and dives the lack of zoom does feel like its missing sometimes. Especially for things you mentioned like wildlife
Unemployed
AG
htxag09 said:

Yeah. Mainly trying to see if there is a decent option that's significantly cheaper.

DJI Osmo Action.
htxag09
AG
Purchased the GoPro hero 9. After just playing with it for awhile I quickly realized this battery will not last for a 4, 5+ hour ride. Probably should've checked that before buying but what the heck. Any options for aftermarket longer lasting batteries?

I could carry the extra battery or a power bank, but would rather limit what I'm hauling around on the bike. Both because of places to put crap and I get pretty sweaty on a 4+ hour ride. Would rather not be caring around spare batteries
AZAG08
AG
I dont know about any longer life batteries, but could you mount a small brick charger somewhere and plug the gopro directly into that?

I did this when using my gopro to do time lapse pictures all day of a construction project.

Not sure what size you would need or if its feasible on a bike though
Guitarsoup
AG
RealTalk said:

htxag09 said:

DJI Osmo Action.
This is what I bought this year. Have several GoPros, but the DJI is a better value.

https://amzn.to/3BAjyC8
FIDO95
AG
I use a Garmin Virb and have been really happy with it. It mounts on the handle bar using the same mount as my computer. I like the fact that it is easy to transfer all the ride data (from my Garmin bike computer) into your video. Here is a video of the conquer the coast ride I did with the wife on our 15 year anniversary; some of the shots I did with a small handheld camera I would use on our Spartan races.

Great ride btw. This years ride is coming up in a couple of months. Hoping to do it again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
htxag09
AG
Just figured I'd update, in case anyone cares. I'm pretty disappointed in the GoPro. I would return it, and still may, but know I'll use it for other things, mainly when we're on vacation.

For being touted as the go to sports camera, it is really lacking. Battery time is the biggest negative. I've debated buying an external battery pack but not sure if it would make a difference as overheating becomes an issue. When I change the battery about an hour and a half into the ride, the go pro is almost too hot to even touch.

The above garmin looks perfect, but it's discontinued.
chico
AG
I use Cycliq fly6, one mounted on back and one mounted on front. They're very small, last for hours, have a red flashing light when in use. They store continuously running 5 min video files with date/time stamps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.