Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Is there peer reviewed research definitively linking cholesterol to heart disease?

1,886 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXTransplant
2girlsdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The protein powder thread had me thinking about this. From what I've read and heard from Rhonda Patrick, Peter Attia, and other researches, I'm gathering that cholesterol and heart disease aren't 100% linked? They talk about the different types of LDL where some aren't bad but the normal panel doesn't distinguish between them. There was the anecdote that people were taking cholesterol lowering meds but still having heart attacks which stumped researchers as to why. What is the current science saying?
MouthBQ98
AG
As I understand it, There's definitely some overall correlation but not an absolute direct causal link because individuals are so variable and there are many potential causes of heart attacks and possible triggers of atherosclerosis that could cause a heart attack or stroke.
2girlsdad
So when it comes to troponin levels, is cholesterol related to increasing that protein?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
There is a fairly incontrovertible link in that people with familial hypercholesterolemia, a single gene mutation affecting cholesterol metabolism, have a markedly increased risk of coronary artery disease. Homozygous individuals (who are very rare) will typically suffer heart attacks in childhood if not diagnosed.

What is not as clear is whether there is a benefit of reducing cholesterol levels regardless of how that reduction is achieved. The evidence that statins, for example, lower the risk of recurrent heart attacks and strokes, for example, is beyond dispute. It is also known that these medicines lower cholesterol levels.

What has not been incontrovertibly proven, as far as I know, is that it is the lowering of cholesterol itself that is responsible for the protective effect of statins (as opposed to an effect on plaque stabilization, for example).

The evidence that other medications that lower cholesterol levels (Zetia, fibrates, niacin, etc.) also reduce the risk of vascular events is much weaker.

Now, my opinion is that it is very unlikely that cholesterol levels don't matter at all, particularly in extreme cases (for example, total cholesterol levels of 400+). Whether they matter much in more typical physiologic ranges is more of an open question.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
lazuras_dc
AG
You mentioned Attia so I'll throw this up here. He also has the straight dope on cholesterol series which is pretty dense.

https://peterattiamd.com/heart-disease-begin-tell-us-prevention/

https://peterattiamd.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i/
bam02
AG
I feel like cholesterol (at least certain lipoproteins) are a big risk factor, but I think there needs to be some systemic inflammation going on to let it do it's damage. Smoking, hypertension, rheumatic conditions, etc.
The Grinder (99)
AG
All this is interesting to discuss when it doesn't matter directly to you. I was in that boat for years. Then came the day about 5 years ago that my pcp told it was time.

I'm a doc (internist and psychiatrist) so I can follow this stuff pretty well. But when it came time for ME to take it, I was looking for reasons not to. You can find a lot of stuff out there to convince you not to. I got pretty deep on that world.

One of my best friends is an interventional cardiologist and I started talking to him about it. He simply said, "all I can tell you is this. We are seeing younger and younger people come in with STEMI's and not one of them is on a statin."

I've been taking it nightly for years.
TXTransplant
I'm reading a book about the importance of estrogen for women, one of the reasons being it prevents heart disease.

I'm in the section about statins and it says the following:

Statins are less effective in woman than men.
They have their greatest benefit in preventing second heart attacks.
Women without cardiovascular disease showed that lowering cholesterol levels did not lower mortality rates or lower the chances of having a non-fatal heart attack or other coronary disease problems.
Women who already had cardiovascular disease showed that statins did reduce the risk of non-fatal and fatal heart attacks.
There is no relationship between TOTAL cholesterol and death from heart disease, especially for women.

I won't go into the relationship between estrogen and heart disease, but I will say it's all very fascinating.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.