Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Plant based protein powders

2,333 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gus
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs for plant based protein powders (NOT pea protein) that are tolerable? My cholesterol numbers have gone up again and my doctor wants me to switch from whey to a protein powder that's plant based. HDL is fine; the other numbers aren't.

My current powder is Chike protein coffee and I love it. I'm willing to switch if the plant based option tastes good.
aggielax48
AG
Why would this be a beneficial change?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Agree with the response above.

I'm not a doctor, and I'm sorry this post isn't what you were asking for, but why would whey protein affect LDL or other markers much, if at all?

I'd ask for their rational first since this is pretty inconvenient. Most plant protein powders I've seen are pea, expensive, and low protein density per serving.

If you get a good answer please post it as I am curious why a doctor would suggest this.
bushytailed
AG
Doc claims that she has a couple other patients that made the switch to plant based protein powders, along with some other dietary changes, and were able to lower their levels. Honestly I'm not sure how much the switch from whey came into play. I know I need to change some other things (I snack on a lot of cheese cubes), but I'm willing to try a plant based protein powder if someone recommended it.

Thanks for questioning my question. I'm questioning her rec too.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't know what you're using now, but you could switch to hydrolyzed.

Check the comparison between Gold and Platinum for ON.
txcincinnatus
AG
Genuinely curious about this. High cholesterol runs in the family, so if there is a benefit, I'd be willing to make the switch. Looks like most vegan protein powder have little to no cholesterol reported on nutrition labels. Standard whey protein looks to have 35 - 45 grams of cholesterol per serving (~15% DV)? Whey protein isolate cuts that down to ~15 grams per serving. I guess that's where the benefit comes from?
Vernada
AG
This is a new product and I haven't tried it yet, but might work for you. Generally I've been real happy with Huel products.

https://huel.com/products/huel-complete-protein
bigtruckguy3500
bushytailed said:

Doc claims that she has a couple other patients that made the switch to plant based protein powders, along with some other dietary changes, and were able to lower their levels. Honestly I'm not sure how much the switch from whey came into play. I know I need to change some other things (I snack on a lot of cheese cubes), but I'm willing to try a plant based protein powder if someone recommended it.

Thanks for questioning my question. I'm questioning her rec too.
When manipulating multiple variables at once, it's hard to pin down exactly what made the biggest difference. I'd say there are probably a lot more areas to target in most peoples' diets before they need to worry about a serving of whey protein a day. That being said, whey isolate does have lower cholesterol and fat than concentrate (though it's debatable that dietary cholesterol has an effect on blood levels).

I'd worry about cleaning up the rest of your diet first. I've been pleasantly surprised by pea protein, though I still primarily stick with whey. I used to do soy protein for a while - taste was usually fine, texture wasn't great though. But that's another vegetarian option.

I will say that I did a vegan experiment early in the year where I went 3 months without any animal products. I also lucked into some free Evolve Pea Protein shakes, so I didn't even need to use whey. My cholesterol went down about 21%. LDL went down 26%, HDL went down 17%, or something like that. Overall ratio of LDL to HDL improved. So maybe there's something to it. But I was also sure to avoid processed crap - remember, Oreos are vegan.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I've started using meal and protein powders by Sprout Living and the Mocha flavored one I've had has been excellent. It's not cheap but from everything I've read one of the cleanest protein powders out there.

I also use the Garden of Life protein and Orgain shakes. All plant based.
94chem
Hemp. Add a banana. 8 ounces of milk or almond/coconut fake milk. Tbsp of erythritol/monk fruit blend. Tbsp cocoa powder. Ice cubes. Whatever else you like. Blend.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Eliminatus
AG
Vernada said:

This is a new product and I haven't tried it yet, but might work for you. Generally I've been real happy with Huel products.

I'll have to check that out myself. I've been a Soylent customer literally from it's Kickstarter but they have simply been meh as of late and not innovative either really.

I did try the first iteration of huel years ago and was meh about it but I love the offerings from them now. This protein is what I needed to jump ship completely I think.
Vernada
AG
Eliminatus said:

Vernada said:

I'll have to check that out myself. I've been a Soylent customer literally from it's Kickstarter but they have simply been meh as of late and not innovative either really.

I did try the first iteration of huel years ago and was meh about it but I love the offerings from them now. This protein is what I needed to jump ship completely I think.
Agreed - I tried some of the early (v1) 'regular' Huel and didn't care for it. Glad I gave Black a try. Really glad I tried Hot & Savory - that's my lunch at least 15 days/month if not more. I even tried regular Huel again recently (V3 banana & PB flavors) and found that I really like it now too.

I like my ON Whey - and it's a lot cheaper - but I might give this protein a try at some point.
94chem
Vernada said:

Eliminatus said:

Vernada said:

Agreed - I tried some of the early (v1) 'regular' Huel and didn't care for it. Glad I gave Black a try. Really glad I tried Hot & Savory - that's my lunch at least 15 days/month if not more. I even tried regular Huel again recently (V3 banana & PB flavors) and found that I really like it now too.

I like my ON Whey - and it's a lot cheaper - but I might give this protein a try at some point.

That Huel looks pretty good. Too bad they had to load it up with organichlorifes (sucralose). I guess erythritol with monkfruit might hurt their profit margins. Could do without the extra insulin spike.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Vernada
AG
there is a unsweetened/unflavored option
94chem
Vernada said:

Thanks. Do you know which one?
94chem,
dtkprowler
AG
We use Garden of Life. At first wasn't a fan because it isn't very flavorful. But since I've cut out some other sweets, I've really started to enjoy these shakes. We shake with Almond Milk.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Meal-Replacement-Gluten-Free/dp/B0031JK95S/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=garden+of+life+lightly+sweetened&qid=1626283298&s=hpc&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNkVJSEY3VDVFQU9TJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE1Njc4MU1BSzlRVERGTUY4VSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTA0NTg0MVpCVzVBUlM0REVPMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Vernada
AG
94chem said:

Vernada said:

Thanks. Do you know which one?

Pretty sure it's an option on all their powder products: regular, black, and protein powder.
RustyBoltz
AG
I think the reasoning is BS and I'd take nutritional advice from a GP with a grain of salt. My PCP tried to tell me running too much was bad for my knees. I told him I don't value his opinion.

That aside, I have always used Gold Std (ON) whey and casein but my wife (vegetarian) was hooked on Shakeology so I sought out a cheaper alternative and finally found KOS to be a suitable substitute that she has accepted. It blends well, has a decent flavor and does not have significant carbs and sugar. My only gripe is that it is slightly sweetened with Monk Fruit Extract but the level is low enough that I couldn't discern it and it didn't cause me GI issues like artificial sweeteners normally do.

diehard81
AG
FWIW, I use Orgain protein powder. I blend it with almond milk and frozen blueberries and a banana. Nice smoothies...
Gus
AG
Same here (using Orgain) and my cholesterol went way down (50 points in 6 months - granted I wasn't using any other protein prior and ate better and exercised)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.