Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

My god, what have I done?

4,199 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kool
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Bucket list item for me. Anybody done it?
Claude!
So do you have to make the dummy and put it in your bed at the start of the race, or can it be a pre-work sort of thing?
ptothemo
AG
Swarely said:

Bucket list item for me.

Might wanna take care of the other items on your bucket list before that one. Just to be safe.
mrsbeer05
AG
Get a good wetsuit
htxag09
AG
Swarely said:

Me when I saw the run elevation....

Kool
AG
What is the elevation gain on the bike ride? Better get some hill work in ahead of that one.
Truth be told, the swim sounds nasty.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
Have friends who have done it.

Congrats, it's supposedly a great race.
Swarely
Sea level to 350'. Luckily I live in austin, so I'm going to find the tallest hill and do repeats.
Swarely
Thanks!
Kool
AG
Swarely said:

Sea level to 350'. Luckily I live in austin, so I'm going to find the tallest hill and do repeats.

You can come out to North Georgia to get in some practice. A couple of my Strava feeds from rides there:

A few years back a woman used the first hill on the first one to break the Women's Everesting Record. Hills suck. Good for you for doing this
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
Swarely said:

Far west and Ladera norte. 400 ft in a half mile.
AggieOO
Or you could go to Jester.
johnson2012
AG
South end of Mesa works also.

Plus there's an 8x or 12x hill repeat segment on strava if you're into that sort of thing
Ragoo
AG
We need to reboot the Strava thread. I need to add more followers.
Ragoo
AG
Drive to NB and do rosemary.
lb3
AG
What's the elevation change for the swim?
dlp3719
AG
I watched the race once when in SF. The swim started on a platform barge/pontoon and people just jumped in. You are near the island but I guess too many rocks around to be too close. The comical part was how far off course many swimmers landed on the beach. The current that day was pretty good so people hit the beach mostly quarter mile down shore.

It's very cold. Invest in a good full body wetsuit.
P.U.T.U
AG
Don't forget about the sharks in the water there, good luck
LOYAL AG
AG
How are you going to do that wearing a mask? That's going to SUCK!

JK. Hopefully.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
NoahAg
Not to be a downer but what are the chances the event actually happens?
TwoMarksHand
AG
lb3 said:

What's the elevation change for the swim?
beat me to it.
Jim01
AG
Tangentially related...

I saw on Twitter than Sam Ehlinger's (Texas QB) little brother was found dead this morning (linebacker at Texas). The article mentioned that Sam's dad died in 2013 during the swim of the Escape From Alcatraz triathlon. I had no clue. Crazy. That poor family.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not trying to bring bad mojo but found this...

Quote:

This is the second death of an immediate family the Ehlingers have experienced in the last decade. Jake and Sam's father, Ross, unexpectedly passed away in 2013 during the "Escape from Alcatraz" triathlon in San Francisco.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2021/05/06/report-texas-linebacker-jake-ehlinger-younger-brother-of-sam-ehlinger-found-dead-near-ut-campus/

Edit just saw someone posted this a couple minutes ago
htxag09
AG
I feel like they talked about that during every Texas football game
AggieOO
for a second, i thought i clicked on the football board b/c i just read the ehlinger news over there. Had no idea he died during escape from alcatraz.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Sorry I don't watch Texas football
JDL 96
Congrats on getting in! It will be awesome! It's definitely on my to do list. Haven't done it. And sadly it appears I missed the emails to sign up ...
94chem
Swimming - T&P for anyone who enjoys that mess. Add cold water in there to boot. Hehe, I thought the point was to improve life expectancy, not decrease it .
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Swarely
My god that sucked. Top 3 of the worst races I have ever done. The water was warmer than usual, but the chop was out of control. Heavy fog made sighting terrible. The pro that won has one 4 or 5 other times and he said that was the worst he's ever seen it. His swim was 10 minutes slower than usual.

The bike sucked.

The run sucked.

All they had to eat after my slow butt finished were vegetarian options.
htxag09
AG
Congrats!
Swarely
Thanks!
Kool
AG
Congrats to you! Great accomplishment. As was said by, I believe, the prophet and poet Butthead, if nothing ever sucked, how would you ever know when something kicked ass?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.