Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Basal Cell Carcinoma

1,701 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by strbrst777
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a small spot on my ear that tested positive for BCC. I met with a Mohs surgeon and have the next appointment scheduled. My question for the experts is how fast do I need to get this done?

I have a few trips this summer and will be in front of clients a LOT. I would rather wait until October or November so I won't see as many people with a band-aid on my ear - especially if they have to take out more than expected right now.

TIA
MouthBQ98
AG
My understanding is it is slow and not particularly dangerous but as with any cancer, sooner is better.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I've had multiple Mohs procedures (6+ I think, I've lost count) including my earlobe done over the last two years. Until my most recent one, I've never had bandages on more than two weeks. I'm dealing with one now on the front of my leg that is taking a little longer to heal b/c the incision tore open about a week after suture removal and got infected.
aggiebrad94
AG
The doc said because of where mine was (Fossa triangularis), I will need a skin graft. That skin graft will need to be completely out of the sun and cared for over the next year.

I'm going to Cancun in July and really would like to not worry about a skin graft and all that. I don't mind worrying about it in September, etc when I won't be outdoors near as much.
Kool
AG
Basal cells almost never metastasize early, waiting a few months isn't normally a big deal. Plus, you should be able to see the cancer and monitor for sudden growth. But confirm with the dermatologist.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

The doc said because of where mine was (Fossa triangularis), I will need a skin graft. That skin graft will need to be completely out of the sun and cared for over the next year.

I'm going to Cancun in July and really would like to not worry about a skin graft and all that. I don't mind worrying about it in September, etc when I won't be outdoors near as much.
Ouch. That's an obscure spot. Sounds like waiting would be best if your doctor is agreeable to it.
aggiebrad94
AG
Thank you all for your response. The Derm got back to me and said waiting until the Fall was okay - as long as I monitored closely.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Father in law is a dermatologist. I had a spot on the tip of my nose. He gave me a rig with interferon (sp?) and my roommate gave me injections every 2 days for 2 weeks. Took care of it without Moh's. Just a possible option if you don't want to hack off your ear.
bloom
Ask your derm about Aldara (sp?). It is a cream that can be used on basal cell, maybe it can be used on yours.
LeisureSuitLarry
I've had quite a history with basil and squamous skin cancers.
I found this article and got my family doctor to administer the standard course of treament with gardasil (a series of 3 shots) and its been 3 years and have not have a reoccurence.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180703131241.htm
https://www.livescience.com/57805-hpv-vaccine-skin-cancer.html
strbrst777
One basal cell on front of shoulder and two squamous cells on leg. When spots like little abrasions (my description) show up and do not heal, I go to my dermatologist. If biopsy is positive, he does surgery. From my perspective, there is not much to the procedure or following. I show up at doc's office. He does a local, removes tissue, makes some stitches, and I walk out about 20 minutes after he starts procedure. No real pain or downtime. I do not mess around with this stuff!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.