Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cycling Power

1,141 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ragoo
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is a good power output for a 160lb dude? I've been diligently training since December 2019. My FTP has gone up over 100w from the first ride. I did have a couple month set back in November when texas 70.3 was cancelled in the middle of the night.

Tips for getting stronger in short order?
P.U.T.U
AG
Depends, for a triathlete doing a half I would say 200-220 at that weight would get you towards the front. But I would rather hold back a little for the run more than worrying about hitting a maybe too high power

Get stronger by doing intervals and riding with people faster than you
SteveA
AG
310?
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Watts/kg at 3 is middle of the pack, 3.5 is front of the middle, 4+ is front end of the pack. For IMAZ in 2016 I was 3.23 w/kg and finished the bike leg in 5:27 at about 64% of my ftp (lower than my race plan of 70% but listened to my legs that day). Certainly not disappointed with my bike and had a great run OTB, but I was solidly in the middle of the pack. That was good for the 74th best bike split in my age group. That should give some reference.
Ragoo
AG
I am at 195w or about 2.6w/kg
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Just keep working at it. And like someone mentioned before, race within yourself. My buddy did that same Ironman with an ftp around 275 and did a 5:10 bike, crushed me...but he was at close to 80% and over cooked it. I passed him at mile 8 of the run and never saw him again.
P.U.T.U
AG
Riding smarter and staying in aero makes a huge difference as well. In my longer races I would a lot lower power output than my friends yet still beat their times. I think my output at IMTX was like 165 and I think my bike time was just over five hours.
SteveA
AG
Get strong in short order? Do intervals on a trainer with something like Trainer Road. Don't just go ride your bike.
Ragoo
AG
SteveA said:

Get strong in short order? Do intervals on a trainer with something like Trainer Road. Don't just go ride your bike.
I am training thru TriDot, have been since the beginning. Did 30-30s this morning. 215w - 160w for 30 seconds each. Hour ride. I guess I am thinking off the bike work to build strength. I assume not squats but maybe lifts to strengthen quads?
wcb
AG
Use the FT column, which is effectively FTP/kg. Should let you know real quick where you stack up.

The first time I found my spot on this chart I cried. 4 W/kg is an excellent goal to shoot for.

SteveA
AG
I would look at longer sub threshold intervals. 2 or 3 X 20 minutes at sweet spot. That will build a strong base for higher end stuff, and should be pretty applicable to the type of riding you will do in a Tri. Sweet spot is between 88 and 95% or your ftp. So if your ftp is 200, you want to shoot for somewhere around 180wats for 15 to 20 minutes per interval. These suck, but are worth it.
OaklandAg06
AG
nothing really to add to this since I try and avoid bikes at all costs, other than this old video of a cyclist vs. a toaster. It makes you appreciate your morning toast a bit more.

Ragoo
AG
SteveA said:

I would look at longer sub threshold intervals. 2 or 3 X 20 minutes at sweet spot. That will build a strong base for higher end stuff, and should be pretty applicable to the type of riding you will do in a Tri. Sweet spot is between 88 and 95% or your ftp. So if your ftp is 200, you want to shoot for somewhere around 180wats for 15 to 20 minutes per interval. These suck, but are worth it.
that is where TriDot has me. I ride 100% on an indoor trainer and download the file to Zwift and execute the program through that interface.

I have for sure gotten stronger but is it even feasible to take bigger incremental increases? I test FTP once a month. Usually jumping 5-10 watts or so and expect those to tighten with an increasing FTP.
Ragoo
AG
Thanks for sharing. Wild.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Just keep doing what you're doing and you will get there. I do almost exclusively TrainerRoad for everything by my Saturday ride, and have always been very happy with the results. I sub out the Saturday session for real rides, I feel like if I spend 100% of my time on the trainer, I lose a lot of bike handling skills that can only be had by actually riding, especially on my tri bike. That and riding outdoors with my friends is fun, which is kind of the whole point.
Ragoo
AG
I hear you. I only have a road bike. So I want to build as much as a I can the derate my power target to like 70% because I will lose some efficiency not being on a tri bike.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
WCB - that chart always makes me sad... I just try to console my ego by telling myself that that chart is more relevant to pure cycling, and not as much for tri guys. Every Cat 3 rider I know has tended to do VERY well in tri bike splits. Most of the time, anyone good enough to be a Cat 1 or 2 rider is exclusively cycling...but not always.
wcb
AG
Yup. When I was cracking into high CAT4 / low CAT3 I was definitely happy with my tri bike splits. Trying to get back there now. I don't remember it being this hard last time around.
txags92
AG
Believe me, when you get to the other side of 50, that chart starts making you pretty sad too.

If you want some variety from pure sweet spot riding, you can do some over/under intervals. Do 3x9s, with each 9 min block being 1 min at ~105% and 2 min at ~90-95% repeated 3 times, with 3 mins rest between each 9 min set. With a warmup and cool down, it makes a nice 1 hour workout.
Ragoo
AG
FTP up to 207w
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.