Sponsored by

1RM/PR Then VS Now

2,476 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by harge57
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to my 531 app my 1rm are:
Dl 372 --> 380 as of today.
Squat 357
Bench 270
OHP 160

Got back into regular lifting 18 months ago when I bought a power rack for the house.

When I was in high school I was a 1200 lbs power lifter but was also 30lbs heavier. Currently 190 lbs.

Been fighting a glute medius strain for a year and it seems to be behind me so hopefully will jump my Squat and DL this year.

Post removed:
by user
Walton2016
AG
Current 1RM:
Squat: 469
Bench: 344
Deadlift: 541
Overhead Press: 196
aggiespartan
AG
third coast.. said:

I really dont knownwhy my squat takes me so long to go heavy. I seriously struggle almost every 5 lb increment. It is very frustrating. When ibwas lifting regularly my bench and squat were basically dead even and my DL was a mile higher. Ugh.
I'm just a scrawny girl, so I won't say all my numbers, but my squat is my worst lift. I think it has to do with my bad ankle mobility.
10andBOUNCE
AG
These are calculated but I feel they are pretty close; hoping to test sometime in the next couple of months.

September 2020:
DL 405
Squat 245
Bench 240
OH 170

January 2021:
DL 425
Squat 275
Bench 245
OH 180
OaklandAg06
AG
Last time I maxed out was in Feb of 2019, then a month later I started training BJJ and haven't really touched a bar since.

Bench: 340
Squat: 425
Deadlift: 465
Overhead press: 215

With 4-6 weeks of training I am pretty confident I could hit those numbers again.

Back in 2015 I got my clean and jerk to 131kg and my snatch to 100kg, then had ankle surgery and never got back into Olympic lifting.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
2005 (Senior HS):

Bench - 345
Squat - 405
DL - no idea
OHP - no idea

2015:

Bench - 405-415
Squat - 455
DL - no idea
OHP - no idea

2017:

Bench - 430-440
Squat - 515-525
DL - no idea
OHP - no idea

Mid 2019:

Bench - 465
Squat - 555
DL - no idea
OHP - no idea

March 2020 (insert Distal Clavicle Osteolysis):

Bench - 420-30
Squat - 565
DL - no idea
OHP - no idea

Now (mostly recovered from shoulder injury):

Bench - not sure but the heaviest I have recently worked up to was 3 sets of 3 with 405... so maybe 430-435? Primarily focusing on more reps and lower weight (5x5) to keep the shoulder in check.
Squat - haven't been able go heavy consistently at home (465 max weights at home) but recent squat days at the gym have gone up to 515 x 2 and 525 x 1. Mainly doing 6-10 sets of 4-8 reps at home.
DL - no idea
OHP - no idea

I stay away from DL over 405 and usually just stick to RDLs with lighter weight. I don't do standing OHP anymore, but when I did, it was never more than 135 for about 10 reps.

Getting older hasn't been terrible so far but I'm definitely noticing how sudden drastic changes in diet and alcohol consumption impact my body. Alcohol in particular... if I drink more than once a week, which is not a common occurrence, I feel it the following week.
Post removed:
by user
zachsccr
AG
harge57 said:

Been fighting a glute medius strain for a year and it seems to be behind me

I see what you did there...
Ragoo
AG
465 bench? Holy **** are you built like magnus Samuelsson?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ragoo said:

LOL! I had to look him up and see who that was. No, I am not 6'7" and 300lbs... 6' and somewhere between 240-250 (I haven't weighed myself a month or two).

Ragoo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Ragoo said:

LOL! I had to look him up and see who that was. No, I am not 6'7" and 300lbs... 6' and somewhere between 240-250 (I haven't weighed myself a month or two).

i am 6' and 160, 35 years old. At 18 I got up 205# on bench at the same 160lb.

I realized 5 years ago that my strength had a limit so I decided to try endurance stuff instead.
Post removed:
by user
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Almost 35, too. Ever since HS, my body has reacted pretty well to weight lifting - which is why enjoy it so much.

Sounds like you found something you enjoy and are good at! That's all that really matters. I wish I was able to incorporate more cardio but I don't really enjoy it... hopefully I will someday, before I morph into the old guy at the gym with a big gut and big arms.
mrmill3218
AG
Which 5-3-1 app are you using?
harge57
AG
Ended up paying for this one after using the trial period.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sarasoft.es.fivethreeone

Started to use a spreadsheet template and just said f it and bought the app. It makes it stupid simple.
harge57
AG
harge57 said:

According to my 531 app my 1rm are:
Dl 372 --> 380 as of today.
Squat 357
Bench 270
OHP 160

Got back into regular lifting 18 months ago when I bought a power rack for the house.

When I was in high school I was a 1200 lbs power lifter but was also 30lbs heavier. Currently 190 lbs.

Been fighting a glute medius strain for a year and it seems to be behind me so hopefully will jump my Squat and DL this year.

Update:
DL 401
Bench 271
Squat 396
OHP 166
mrmill3218
AG
harge57 said:

Ended up paying for this one after using the trial period.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sarasoft.es.fivethreeone

Started to use a spreadsheet template and just said f it and bought the app. It makes it stupid simple.

Is this for a google phone or can I use it with an iPhone?
harge57
AG
Not sure if it works on iphone... I have it on an android.
Post removed:
by user
jtraggie99
AG
harge57 said:

I've had the same issue, to go along with my hip joint issues (hip surgery last fall). All from lifting heavy weights over the years. Funny thing was, I stumbled into some Starting Strength forum posts recently where a number of lifters were discussing glute medius issues resulting from deadlift / squat. Even Mark had some posts that he had been dealing with the same issue for a number of years.

Mark likes to tout Starting Strength and the like as the fountain of youth. I've come to the conclusion that heavy lifting for years on end, is anything but.
jtraggie99
AG
To the original post, my tops were 580 squat, 565 deadlift, and 305 bench. Never paid much attention to OHP until later in life. I think I was around 185 or so.

My current goals (with regards to weights) is just to be able to squat and deadlift again without pain at some point
Post removed:
by user
ttha_aggie_09
AG
third coast.. said:

Those with 350+ squats, how long did it take you to get there? I get to about 260 1RM and then have to go to sea or whatnot where there is wither only a Smith machine or too much motion to do squats so I hqve to reset almost every 4 or so months. It kills me but I'm inching towards 300 1RM, and would LOVE to get there sooner than later.
I actually had horrible form right out of HS (most coaches aren't good at teaching proper form - just preach MORE weight) and ended up with pretty bad Patellar Tendinitis in both knees. It was not fun but it enabled me to completely reconstruct my squat form and start from scratch (no squats/legs for about a month).

What I learned during that rebuild period, which lasted probably a year, was that proper form was the most important part of squats. I'd argue that squat stance works varies from person to person but a wider stand and toes pointed slightly out really helped me get deep and drive the weight with my heels.

So back to you... I know your training may not be consistent due to work, but what else are you focusing for legs? Squats take a lot of strength in your core, glutes, hamstrings and back. There are a ton of supplemental exercises that help your squat (in my experience):

Elevated Split Squats - working up to weighted with Dumbbells or Kettlebells (really targets the "tear drop")
Hyper extensions - lower back strength
Single leg body weight box squats - incredible for building stabilizer muscles in legs and strengthen your knees
Goblet Squats - yeah a lot of chicks do them but they're good and almost impossible to screw up your form
Several other ones that aren't coming to mind right now...

What are your splits for squats right now? Are you warming up and then working to a comfortable set of 5x5, 3x8, 5-3-1? I often find that squats tend to feel worse with less weight but slowly start get better as a certain amount of weight requires more focus and attention to form and each rep. A lot of people don't feel comfortable and never break into the weight they can actually comfortably squat.

Additionally, heavy squats require a ton of energy. I burn a ton of calories on my squat days and it takes a lot of muscle to push 350lbs or more. Most people I know that struggle to get to a reasonable goal with squats have issues with form but are also in a caloric deficit. They're not refueling sufficiently and their muscles aren't able to repair/rebuild post workouts. The day off and day after squats are usually my highest intake days and sometimes double the calories as the other days.

If you have a smith machine, try to incorporate hack squats too. Smith machine squats tend to disengage a lot of the hamstrings so I would supplement them when that's your only option. You can also do smith machine RDLs but don't lockout at the top and keep tension on your hamstrings the entire rep.

Last thing I'll add is rest. 3-5 mins in between working sets is an absolute must for squats. I'll toy around every once in a while 60-90 second rest but it's about 65-70% and it absolutely kills me. I see a lot of people waiting 1-2 mins between sets on squats and it's never someone pushing a ton of weight. Take your time - don't get cold - between working sets.

TLDR:
Make sure you're supplementing your legs with other exercises
Make sure you're eating enough
Make sure you're resting enough between sets

I'm not any sort of expert but I've been doing this for about 17 years. I know a lot about how not to lift and also a lot about what works for ME.

Good luck!

(Typed on phone so excuse the typos)
Post removed:
by user
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Kids can certainly limit your sleep... I've got two of my own.

Sorry for the generic responses but I didn't really know where you were with things and so I replied with the most common things I see.
Post removed:
by user
Capitol Ag
AG
Man, I hear you on getting stuck in certain lifts. To me, I had to limit my isolation quad work and just focus on squats. Also, I would always get crushed at about 270-280 on squats. Why? Well, I felt like I could recover on a NLP doing 3 sets of 5. Then I discovered that many had this issue so they would do 80% 3 sets of 5 on Wednesdays and go heavier (ie on normal progression schedule) on Mon/Fri. So I might be at 260 on monday, 215-220 on Wednesday and 265 on Friday. That helped big time and got me to 300 pretty "easily" (nothing lifting like this is easy).

Deadlifts are easy for me given my long wingspan. I am 6'1.5" with a 77" wingspan. Gives me a huge advantage on deads.

The issue right now is that I am switching to hypertrophy and using Dr. Mike Israetel of Renaissance Periodization as it's pushing towards summer and I am leaning a little bit and getting my beach body look going for late June. So my numbers will go down some no doubt.

My worst lift is bench. Shoulders are fine. Just a poverty bench. Long arms probably play a major key no doubt.
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
third coast.. said:

I've got a good program, modified 5x5 with additional workouts. I squat 2x per week. With one of those days being leg day. On leg day it's squats, box squats, walking lunges, Romanian deadlift from a deficit, weighted step ups and leg press, or a routine very similar. Back days i do hyper extensions. I eat plenty, but I could probably eat more. But life is crazy and I sometimes forget. I stopped drinking and starting lifting regularly a little over 2 years ago but I never seem to be able to get over around right where I am at now. Unfortunately thst kind of coincides with when I go back to work and my routine gets turned upside down.

With the newborn, I th8bj missing a lot of sleep isnwhat is killing me right now.
When was the last time you failed a squat?

Most lifts people are comfortable working to failure, but people seem to stop squats early because they are afraid to go to failure on a squat and drop the weight.

To answer your first question I guess I have always been able to squat that much since building up initial strength in high school. I have dropped off a few times over the years, (thanks ironman training) but it comes back pretty quick, I just have to be careful not to go back up heavy too quickly and let all the stabilizing muscles catch up.
Post removed:
by user
Capitol Ag
AG
harge57 said:

third coast.. said:

I've got a good program, modified 5x5 with additional workouts. I squat 2x per week. With one of those days being leg day. On leg day it's squats, box squats, walking lunges, Romanian deadlift from a deficit, weighted step ups and leg press, or a routine very similar. Back days i do hyper extensions. I eat plenty, but I could probably eat more. But life is crazy and I sometimes forget. I stopped drinking and starting lifting regularly a little over 2 years ago but I never seem to be able to get over around right where I am at now. Unfortunately thst kind of coincides with when I go back to work and my routine gets turned upside down.

With the newborn, I th8bj missing a lot of sleep isnwhat is killing me right now.
When was the last time you failed a squat?

Most lifts people are comfortable working to failure, but people seem to stop squats early because they are afraid to go to failure on a squat and drop the weight.

To answer your first question I guess I have always been able to squat that much since building up initial strength in high school. I have dropped off a few times over the years, (thanks ironman training) but it comes back pretty quick, I just have to be careful not to go back up heavy too quickly and let all the stabilizing muscles catch up.
It is mentally so hard to go to that last squat rep when its really heavy. Especially not knowing if you can come back up. Hence why I never squat heavy without pins. Heck, I squat light with pins, just in case. I've fallen over going light in college once (thanks to a pretty girl walking by distracting me) and luckily I was above pins. Might have been "light" but no one wants 135lbs landing on them!

Rip talks about the testicular fortitude it takes to do that last squat or 2 on a NLP when you are getting into the truly heavy for you range. I've practiced pinning heavy squats to try to work that fear out of me. It has helped but it is still hard to push through that mental barrier.

Granted, a lot of higher weight intermediate squats are supposed to be at 2 in the tank after the lift, but for a LP phase, it can feel like bone on bone some days.

I've done hard HIIT and circuit training, hard hypertrophy training and other very hard workouts, but nothing is as hard, to me, as the upper ranges of a novice linear progression right before one switches to intermediate level strength training. Mentally and physically. To a point where you can be so focused on getting the weight on the bar up that you can forget how far you've come and you sit back after the last set and realize what you actually just lifted and it can be so hard to believe you are in this weight range when 135-185 in squats might have been hard as hell a few months ago or you've never lifted anything heavier then maybe 225 and here you are doing light days in the 300s. It's awesome and humbling at the same time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.