Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Father vs Son One Mile Race: One Month to prepare

4,563 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by zachsccr
Sweep4-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A few months ago I posted a thread about training for a half-marathon, and got lots of GREAT advice and encouragement from folks (and completed it under my target time).

New goal: At the 'encouragement' of my 14 year old son (he keeps referring to me as 'old man'), we plan to run a one mile 'race' against each other in late April (on my 50th birthday).

We ran a 'tune up' race last weekend (one 400m and four 800m): Here's how it went...

-400m: I won by a step.
-800m:
-1st set: He won by 5 seconds.
-2nd : He won by 20 seconds
-3rd: I quit at the 400m mark, trailing badly
-4th: I laid down on the grass and refused to run (he ran another one by himself)

His recent mile PB is 5:45, and I don't know what mine is. My recent 5K time was 7:25/mile.

So experienced runners....should I race him (and is there any chance I can win)? Or should I just concede?

16Ag18
AG
I hope my two sons challenge me to this one day. That's the dream! And yes absolutely race him. He can win a bunch of 800s but all you need to do is be faster for one race! Good luck!
ptothemo
AG
No matter what, you have to take the race. You might get smoked, but there is no concession in family athletic challenges. Good on both of you for doing this!

And good luck, sounds like you might need it for this one
:-)
dave99ag
AG
He's going to lap you and he'll love it. DO IT!

My 5yr old likes to challenge me on the bike. One day he's going to smoke me, but not yet little dude.
bert harbinson
AG
I'd say no chance, but you have to do it anyway. Good luck, have fun, don't hurt yourself.
Claude!
bert harbinson said:

I'd say no chance, but you have to do it anyway. Good luck, have fun, don't hurt yourself.
Or if you do, make sure it's in a hilarious and temporary manner.
AZAG08
AG
Claude! said:

bert harbinson said:

Or if you do, make sure it's in a hilarious and temporary manner.
...and on video
94chem
He is going to blow your ever-loving doors off if he trains. That said, if you apply your God-given ability, enter a 3 week intensive training cycle, and don't injure yourself, you have a decent shot at breaking 6 minutes.

You need to limit your mileage. Run 5-6 days per week for 3 weeks. Total around 20 miles/week.

Sample schedule, with paces up to you:
1) 8x 200 repeats, with 200m jog in between, 90% intensity
2) 3 mile run at medium pace
3) 8x 400 repeats, target 90 second pace, with 200m jog in between.
4) 3 mile run at medium pace
5) Day off
6) mile warmup and 1 mile time trial
7) 3 mile run

Repeat the cycle, but mix in some 800 repeats with 400 jog on interval days, or hill intervals on a treadmill if you don't have a good hill. Do the cycle 3 times. Taper before the race. The good news is you don't need a lot of miles. The bad news is your miles will be hell miles. The other good news is that no matter what you do, he's gonna beat the dog out of you, buy he'll also know how hard you were trying.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sweep4-2
Thanks everyone for the encouragement (and humor) and also for keeping me in reality that I'll likely lose (but to do it anyway)!

Thanks for the training plan recommendation, I'm going to follow it and try my best. Will post outcome in late April!

wcb
AG
Race him. But have him spot you at least 200. Maybe 400. Should make it a "race".
Sweep4-2
Hey now, I'm way too proud to take any charity from him!!! Plus, he knows if he has to pass me late I may resort to throwing elbows, grabbing his shirt, etc when he passes.
The Pilot
AG
Based on your 5K time, I'd peg your mile PR around 630. I'd do a bunch of 200 and 400 M repeats and see how it goes. Shaving a minute in a month is a big feat but who knows, competition brings the best in everyone.

For a the week, I'd go with hard day, off, easy, hard, off, easy, off. Three hard days in a week might be too much IMO and provide diminishing returns. Depending on how much you are currently running you could sub the easy days for an easy.
aggiect
AG
Only chance? Make it a beer mile...
htxag09
AG
I feel like we need a sticky on this subject. It comes up pretty often, surprisingly. And this isn't meant to be any negative towards the op, I just think it'd be really cool to have one thread and follow up on how these competitions go
The Pilot
AG
aggiect said:

Only chance? Make it a beer mile...
True. Forgot about that option. Even then, I think my money is on the kid.
LOYAL AG
AG
My now 22 yo son was pretty much always the fastest kid on his baseball teams even in years he played up. We'd race from time to time and I'd always beat him by just enough to keep it fun but keep him coming back. Right after he turned 12 he said with confidence he was faster than me and off we were to race. 60 yard dash because he was a baseball player. Our street was marked in 5 yard increments for 100 yards so we could throw long toss so we just lined up at 0. My daughter was the starter so neither of us could cheat. I'm in shorts and running shoes while he's in jeans and Vans.

So my daughter says "ready set go!" and we're off. Well he's off. I'm like two steps in and he's at five yards already when I said "Oh $#|^ he's gonna win". And he did. By a lot. Like 15 yards. I'd been fast in my Army days but that was a long time ago. I looked to my wife and she's doubled over laughing. I still catch hell for it but I'm glad it happened. Fun times!
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Sweep4-2
Hahaha...love the suggestion for the beer mile! I agree with y'all that say I'll probably STILL lose :-)

Thanks for the training suggestions above y'all, I'll follow those starting tomorrow and am going to give it my best.

Agree that it'd be great to have a 'challenge' or 'race' thread on here, so folks can share approach/outcome.

I'm drinking two beers tonight, and will make those the last two I have until the race is run! Results to follow in late April!
Sweep4-2
That's awesome! It's so much fun to see kids getting faster, stronger, etc. as we try to hold onto our pride and beat them! Also fun to have the whole family there to see the race run and to have that as a family experience.

As a kid, some of my best memories are the times I competed against my dad. I never beat him at anything related to cycling, running or lifting.....but it was fun and it made me respect his athletic ability and beast-mode training philosophy.

Sweep4-2
First training session in the books. Ran hard and felt good.....but let me say what everyone on the thread is already thinking......there is ZERO chance I will win this race.

Seeing it with a stopwatch on the track made me realize just how far behind I'll be if we both run our best.

But I'm not giving , I'm just realizing that rather than running against my son, I will be running with my son and racing against my aging self (if that makes any sense).

Oh, and my AARP application arrived in the mail today (on my way to train), which was an added insult!

Iowaggie
AG
Maybe you can lay a bunch of Legos out in his room before the race.

He's still getting faster and well you can, but probably going the other way, but maybe keep it as a fun family tradition where on the day of race, dad names the distance.
JoeOlson
AG
The night before, he should probably try beer for the first time. Leave a 6 pack out, schedule the run at 5:15a and hope for the best.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

First training session in the books. Ran hard and felt good.....but let me say what everyone on the thread is already thinking......there is ZERO chance I will win this race.

Seeing it with a stopwatch on the track made me realize just how far behind I'll be if we both run our best.

But I'm not giving , I'm just realizing that rather than running against my son, I will be running with my son and racing against my aging self (if that makes any sense).

Oh, and my AARP application arrived in the mail today (on my way to train), which was an added insult!

Maybe you make it a 10k instead. You have the foundation for that. You'd probably be on your 2-3 beer by the time he finished.

Regardless, do it. Never pass on an opportunity that involves your kid wanting to spend time with you. Ever.

Good luck "old man"
Sweep4-2
Thanks!! Yeah, I tried to get him to run a longer run but he didn't fall for it. Maybe for the next challenge.

Totally agree re spending time together. We ran 4 miles today at a relaxed pace and just enjoyed being outside and running. It was nice, even if I was covered in sweat/sunscreen and he was as cool as could be at the end.
AggieChemE09
AG
I ran the 800m in HS. After placing in a track meet, my dad started telling me that he was still faster than me. When we got home, we raced about 100m down the street. And he freaking beat me. I never saw him run again, and he is still riding that story 20 years later.
lb3
AG
You have no business running a sub-6 minute mile at age 50. And trying to get there in a month, you are probably more likely to have a stroke or heart attack than beat your son.

That said, following through and giving a good effort is sounds important to both you and your son so I would train for it. Heavy on the intervals.

94chem
lb3 said:

You have no business running a sub-6 minute mile at age 50. And trying to get there in a month, you are probably more likely to have a stroke or heart attack than beat your son.

That said, following through and giving a good effort is sounds important to both you and your son so I would train for it. Heavy on the intervals.

Why not? I'm almost 49. I ran 6:20 a few months ago in the middle of marathon training. I'm not even a good runner. People in their 50's routinely run sub-20 5K's. My 5K and half marathon times suggest that I should be running a sub-3:50 marathon, but I can't break 4:02 right now.

But, as for trying to get there too fast, you're right.

Some people are better at short distances, some longer. There are people out there running 1:35 half marathons who can't beat my mile time. But I'm running the half in 1:46. It's hard to know what you can do until you get out there and work at it.

It's funny when the HS cross country runners move into track season and they see how easy the track kids have been going. And don't the track kids know it! There are plenty of them who could run cross country, but why log all those miles when you just need to be fast at 400m? If you can stay healthy through the sprint workouts, it's way easier (for lots of people) to bust out a good performance at middle distance if you do the work.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sweep4-2
Yeah, I definitely do NOT want either of those to happen. But I'm confused by your comment that a 50 year old shouldn't run a sub 6:00/mile. Is that specific to my situation (times, miles, etc.)? Or rather in general re the 50 year old body and s sub 6 time? Either way is fine, just curious to know more.

I appreciate everyone's training advice and also bringing me back to reality both in terms of 'winning' as well as what's realistic in such a short time frame to prepare.

Plan is to keep training and to use the approach several recommended on this thread. He is so confident he's agreed to be my training partner (which is more fulfilling than winning or some time goal could
ever be).
bert harbinson
AG
This is the right approach, you'll do something together, get more fit and maybe faster. You never know, but getting to 6 minutes with only a month of training is a tall order, and beating a kid who's run a 5:45 sounds highly unlikely. My guess is, with a few weeks to go, you'll run well enough to keep it respectable. Don't let the comment above discourage you, lots of us over 50 are still pretty fast.
Sweep4-2
Thanks!! I'm going to enjoy it.

Btw, ran my 'benchmark' time 1600m run by myself at the high school track a few minutes ago so I've got my target time. It was faster than I thought it would be but obviously nowhere close to breaking 6:00.

I'll continue training and will post the outcome at the end of April.

AggieOO
lb3 said:

You have no business running a sub-6 minute mile at age 50.

i have a buddy who PR'd the mile with 4:47 at age 48. He's in his fifties now and still going sub-5.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
If you hadn't been running and just dropped a 6:30 mile on a first attempt, I would say there's a chance. But given that you've hit a certain level of running fitness already, dropping 45 seconds off your mile time at that speed in less than a month is a very tall order.

Buy Vaporflys to keep it dignified (that is, stay on the lead lap).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, I know it's going to be rough. But I aim to keep it respectable and to try and keep him in sight. Oh, and not to throw up! I'd never hear the end of that!!

But he slipped up a bit the other day, got a little overconfident and challenged me to a submission grappling match. He weighs 110 lbs and wrestled for one season. I'm at 175 and a BJJ black belt. Advantage old man! He knows how that will end up, but it's fun to have a little back and forth competition (and beats the heck out of sitting around playing video games or watching TV)!
AZAG08
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Yeah, I know it's going to be rough. But I aim to keep it respectable and to try and keep him in sight. Oh, and not to throw up! I'd never hear the end of that!!

But he slipped up a bit the other day, got a little overconfident and challenged me to a submission grappling match. He weighs 110 lbs and wrestled for one season. I'm at 175 and a BJJ black belt. Advantage old man! He knows how that will end up, but it's fun to have a little back and forth competition (and beats the heck out of sitting around playing video games or watching TV)!
I like the grappling match to make it 1-1, now you just need a good tie breaker
lb3
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Yeah, I definitely do NOT want either of those to happen. But I'm confused by your comment that a 50 year old shouldn't run a sub 6:00/mile. Is that specific to my situation (times, miles, etc.)? Or rather in general re the 50 year old body and s sub 6 time? Either way is fine, just curious to know more.
I'm basically of the opinion that running is hard on old joints etc. and given your starting fitness level and short timeline, relaxing your goals might save you some injuries. There is no shame in running 6+ minute miles at 50. If you can do better and your body isn't prone to breaking down, great. Just don't try to be Superman.

I've seen Gunny Sgts running stupid times and I remember running behind one just amazed he could keep doing it based on how badly his right knee bent laterally with each stride. I'm pretty sure he had a torn MCL and I just kept waiting for his knee to snap in half.
Sweep4-2
Ah, got it. Totally understand, thanks for the perspective and advice. I've already adjusted my goal as well as training approach to recognize that more doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.

As far as the joints, yeah. Know what you mean. But I just love physical challenges and am stubborn about slowing down. I've spent the past 14 years training a violent sport (BJJ/Wrestling) against people in their 20's and 30's and it gets harder every year. But I just love the feel of a physical challenge and have a hard time accepting that I can't do now what I could at 25.

But as one of my t-shirts says "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ruined my life, but it was worth it."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.