Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Work from Home Workout Routine

1,696 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ever since work from home started I've really struggled to maintain a consistent balanced workout regiment. Before Covid I had a gym at work that I would use daily and then jog at home a few times a week. I had a good balance between strength and cardio.

I've been doing video programs through the Beach Body On-Demand app. They are good programs but generally when you do those they pencil out 5-6 days a week and don't leave room for jogging unless you do 2 workouts a day. (Only one I found that has plenty of space was Lift 4 but I did it multiple times and got tired of it)

How do you balance cardio and strength in your own workout routines?
Capitol Ag
AG
So does the BB program not have conditioning in it? I am assuming you run to get your conditioning in. Or is running your sport?

Remember, the reason to do conditioning is more than to "burn fat" as its not always the best way to lose fat. It trains your CNS, PNS, your heart and helps you get better at the strength training that you do. Now, if running is your sport, see if Beach Body has a program designed for the runner. B/c obviously you wouldn't want to detrain from your sport.

Otherwise, you might find that a lot of the exercises in your Beach Body program are conditioning exercises that take the place of having to run or do traditional "cardio". A lot of programs will mix HIIT in with weight/body weight training and thereby killing 2 birds with one stone. Running is by no means the best conditioning exercise available and most strength coaches would argue running would be less optimal to most trainees unless running is the only type of conditioning that they enjoy and will do. But the body pays a high price for a lot of running in terms of strength gains and muscle mass gains plus wear and tear on joints.

LOYAL AG
AG
I work from home as well and have for several years now. For me it's all about a long term goals that aren't flexible. So right now I'm chasing my first Murph Challenge and I ride the MS150 each year. With the ride about a month away and the Murph about two months away I'll be doing strength training three days a week with a buddy and riding about 100 miles over four rides. Seven workouts a week with nothing on Sunday.

Monday AM - Do a Murph
Monday PM - 22m ride
Tuesday PM - 28m ride
Wednesday AM - Hour of light weight training for Murph
Thursday PM - 22m ride
Friday AM - Hour of light weight training for Murph
Saturday AM - 28m ride

If a ride slips for weather it goes to Saturday and I will do 50m that day. If Saturday slips I'll do 50 Sunday.

The point is that those events are happening whether I'm ready for them or not and I'm not going to miss them. That forces me to prioritize the workouts so I don't embarrass or injure myself doing something I'm not ready for.

Use lunch for a run or ride. Everyone in my universe knows I'm shutting down at 11 this time of year and I'll be back online at 1. Force those into your schedule. The worst thing about working from home is losing the basic structure of the workday.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Frok
AG
Capitol Ag said:

So does the BB program not have conditioning in it? I am assuming you run to get your conditioning in. Or is running your sport?

Remember, the reason to do conditioning is more than to "burn fat" as its not always the best way to lose fat. It trains your CNS, PNS, your heart and helps you get better at the strength training that you do. Now, if running is your sport, see if Beach Body has a program designed for the runner. B/c obviously you wouldn't want to detrain from your sport.

Otherwise, you might find that a lot of the exercises in your Beach Body program are conditioning exercises that take the place of having to run or do traditional "cardio". A lot of programs will mix HIIT in with weight/body weight training and thereby killing 2 birds with one stone. Running is by no means the best conditioning exercise available and most strength coaches would argue running would be less optimal to most trainees unless running is the only type of conditioning that they enjoy and will do. But the body pays a high price for a lot of running in terms of strength gains and muscle mass gains plus wear and tear on joints.

Running isn't my sport. I don't run high mileage. I just prefer to do that instead of constantly being in my living room. It gets me outside and moving which helps ease my cabin-fever.

The BB do have conditioning through HIIT exercises but like I said above, I want to get outside and move and sometimes these programs operate off the assumption that I will only do this workout and that's it.

Frok
AG
LOYAL AG said:

I work from home as well and have for several years now. For me it's all about a long term goals that aren't flexible. So right now I'm chasing my first Murph Challenge and I ride the MS150 each year. With the ride about a month away and the Murph about two months away I'll be doing strength training three days a week with a buddy and riding about 100 miles over four rides. Seven workouts a week with nothing on Sunday.

Monday AM - Do a Murph
Monday PM - 22m ride
Tuesday PM - 28m ride
Wednesday AM - Hour of light weight training for Murph
Thursday PM - 22m ride
Friday AM - Hour of light weight training for Murph
Saturday AM - 28m ride

If a ride slips for weather it goes to Saturday and I will do 50m that day. If Saturday slips I'll do 50 Sunday.

The point is that those events are happening whether I'm ready for them or not and I'm not going to miss them. That forces me to prioritize the workouts so I don't embarrass or injure myself doing something I'm not ready for.

Use lunch for a run or ride. Everyone in my universe knows I'm shutting down at 11 this time of year and I'll be back online at 1. Force those into your schedule. The worst thing about working from home is losing the basic structure of the workday.

So two days a week of weight training allows you to accomplish the Murph? Interesting.

I like that type of spacing, it's what I was possibly thinking. I would like to do 3 days strength, 3 days cardio. Unfortunately as far as programs the fewest days I could find was Lift 4 which was 4 days of strength(and some HIIT cardio). I would try to jog on the easier lift days but time is usually an issue.

Appreciate the responses.
Capitol Ag
AG
Frok said:

Capitol Ag said:

Running isn't my sport. I don't run high mileage. I just prefer to do that instead of constantly being in my living room. It gets me outside and moving which helps ease my cabin-fever.

The BB do have conditioning through HIIT exercises but like I said above, I want to get outside and move and sometimes these programs operate off the assumption that I will only do this workout and that's it.

I understand. Do their workouts in the AM than do outdoor running, HIIT, sprint work, shuttle runs or sled work outside 2X a week in the PM. Also, do some of the workouts they prescribe outside if possible.

I put less stress on conditioning/cardio as diet is the MAIN thing most people need to lean out or stay lean. 2x a week if one isn't doing some sort of competition is probably enough. But it depends on your overall goals. Also, how well equipped is your home? Do you have weights, barbells or DBs, anything else?

I hear ya bout getting outside. I bought a prowler/sled and take it to a field, or do a lot of shuttles and speed work for my cardio out there when I can. I prefer my "cardio" to be things that make me more athletic and don't take a toll on any muscle and strength gains.
Frok
AG
I've pieced together a decent sent of dumbells which suffice for most things. I never thought about doing some of their workouts outside, that is a good idea.

The diet is definitely the thing. My diet isn't terrible, but I eat too much.
Capitol Ag
AG
Frok said:

I've pieced together a decent sent of dumbells which suffice for most things. I never thought about doing some of their workouts outside, that is a good idea.

The diet is definitely the thing. My diet isn't terrible, but I eat too much.

Does the app include a meal plan? If not, there are numerous nutrition apps that allow you to track your calories/macros, etc. My lifting partner uses Nutritionix Track for instance and he likes it. Also, start meal prep each Sunday so that you have meals prepared for that week. Portion them out and stick with that container or containers for the meal and nothing more. Give yourself a reward cheat meal once a week or so to give yourself some incentive to get through the week eating clean. And realize a lot of healthy meals can be very flavorful and satisfying. Keep doing cardio but adherence to diet will give you the best results when it comes to weight loss.
500,000ags
AG
I use a few rogue sand products for strength training; the feed sack, the throw bag, and the cyclone bag. I don't use a barbell anymore because my back is too sensitive.

The sand stuff has still let me add muscle. Ex. Instead of doing body weight push-ups, I throw the feed sack on my back and I get another 80lbs. Same for squats and the 150lb cyclone bag.

For cardio, I do 4x5 minutes on an assault air bike. Frankly, the thing sucks, but it works.
bam02
AG
Ha! This is pretty much my setup at home, too. 3 Rep Fitness sandbags and an Assault Bike.
Capitol Ag
AG
500,000ags said:

I use a few rogue sand products for strength training; the feed sack, the throw bag, and the cyclone bag. I don't use a barbell anymore because my back is too sensitive.

The sand stuff has still let me add muscle. Ex. Instead of doing body weight push-ups, I throw the feed sack on my back and I get another 80lbs. Same for squats and the 150lb cyclone bag.

For cardio, I do 4x5 minutes on an assault air bike. Frankly, the thing sucks, but it works.
By "sensitive", could you expound on that some? The reason I ask is that most back ailments do not restrict one from using a barbell in their training as long as they are using proper form. That includes herniated disks, degenerative disks and most other issues. And it sounds like you are loading your spine already using heavy sandbags. A loaded barbell shouldn't add any more risk than a sandbag can. Proper core engagement and full range of motion if coached correctly should only strengthen your lower back, especially when combined with barbell deadlifts. If you ever do want to add barbell training, I would recommend you look into Starting Strength, Barbell Logic or Barbell Medicine for tips on form and programming of all the major barbell movements. You should be able to do these movements and not ever have much back discomfort or pain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.