Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Number of sessions per day

922 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by h1ag
MUAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am old and trying to improve leg strength and balance. Is it better to do one long session of balance and leg exercises per day or divide into 2.3.4 shorter sessions? I am retired and could do the sessions any time of day.
Want to be the most efficient. Thanks
MUAG
JDL 96
I would GUESS multiple shorter sessions. That would help keep good form through each session. With a longer session I can get sloppy as it goes on and I get tired. I'd think keeping fresh and better form would be better.
EDIT: I DO think multiple sessions would be better for you. Balance gains are driving primarily by muscle memory (neurological conditioning / training). Good form is critical to muscle memory and those type of gains. So, being fresh with good form is most important. Multiple sessions would help with that.
MizooAg94
AG
Have you considered weight lifting in addition to yoga or whatever balancing you are doing? It has made a wonderful difference in our lives and we ain't spring chickens either.
MUAG
Thanks for comments. I have been doing strength training every third day for some time. But need to greatly increase my balance and leg work. Now doing 3-4 sessions per day as suggested by JDL.
MUAG
fta09
AG
Strength training is great. Consider this, the stronger you are, the better your performance will be and the better your conditioning routines can be. If, for instance, your particular conditioning exercise is pulling a sled, you will pull a sled the same distance over the same time with more weight on it if you are stronger, making more "efficient" use of your time.

I like at least 1 - 2 days in between my strength training days, but I am 34. You need to listen to your body and talk to a medical professional. I also recommend looking at Starting Strength for strength training related information.
h1ag
AG
Balance-wise, it typically improves really quickly once you start working on it.

Having just worked through an ACL recovery, I handled it in small chunks throughout the day. Each time I stood up, I'd do a minute of one-leg stands on each leg.

Once that was good, I started doing it on my BOSU ball, inflated side facing up. Same thing, hitting out a small amount of work each time I got up.

After that, I started doing more dynamic exercise. I had a band tied off to a doorknob, I'd stand on one leg holding the band. lean forward, hinging at the hip, then standing back up. Think like a one-leg good morning. I'd also step off a stair or box, landing on one leg and holding it for a few seconds before stepping back up.

I started noticing improvement right away, and now I'm working with ski-specific balance blocks that strap on to my ski boots.

I'm sure a lot of the rapid improvement came from my knee healing, but everything I have read about balance training mentions that it goes quickly, generally, once you start working it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.