Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Thinking of marathon training again

1,652 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FIDO*98*
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that things are starting to return to normal and we'll hopefully have in person races again next year, I'm thinking of picking up the marathon training again this fall and seeing if I can complete my first marathon before I turn 40 in February of '22. I trained for a full marathon about 5 years ago but didn't fully invest myself and ended up doing the Austin half instead.

I live in Austin but I think the hills are just too much so this time I'm thinking I'd do Houston with my younger brother who's done probably 12 marathons and lives in central Houston. I'm in much better physical shape overall this time around and my kids aren't toddlers anymore so I'm thinking i can actually do it this time as far as the dedication component goes.

My question is what should I be doing at this point this far out as far as conditioning and training goes? I hit the gym once or twice a week and then usually mountain bike 6-10 miles on Saturdays. Also what training plan do you guys recommend. Any other advice is appreciated as well. Thanks.
94chem
You'll get a lot of feedback, so I'll limit my first reply. I've done my first 2 marathons this year, age 48, and had never run further than 10K until 15 months ago. I'm currently 4:02, and would like to get under 4:00. I got to where I am with about 30 - 35 miles per week during most of 2020. I was a fast-twitch athlete, with a solid background in racquetball and a 6:20 mile. In other words, distance doesn't come naturally.

I give this background because it MAY be relevant. The first thing I would do is throw out any training plan that ignores the Texas weather in summer. Limit exposure to the elements at elevated temperature. Just because you can run for 3 hours at 90 degrees, doesn't make you faster at 50 degrees. Heat acclimation is a fine activity, but it just makes you more adept at high temperatures. It doesn't contribute any more to your aerobic base.

Try to build some volume in the spring. Lots of mile repeats in the summer, and 10K threshold runs. Resume distance in the fall.

My 2 cents.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks. Glad to see old guys like us can start later in life.
The Pilot
AG
Just run. I'd do easy runs every other day starting off slowly with the mileage and build over time. You can use the general rule of 10% to be safe. The big issue beginners usually have is they are too eager to go fast and ramp up mileage. This usually leads to an injury or at minimum compromises other workouts bc you are always fatigued. Don't go out with the goal of beating yesterday everyday.

I've never "fired" an athlete but I'm close with one because he wants to go faster than I tell him to. When I give him fast workouts he misses the mark. Consistency is key. Get into a routine and once you are 18 wks out, you can explore an actual training plan.
Big Cat `93
AG
I ran my first one a month after turning 40. I echo the advice above. Most of all, just enjoy the process. I haven't run much over the past year and half due to metatarsal stress fractures in my right foot after years without any foot problems at all. I miss it terribly.
bert harbinson
AG
Slowly establish a running base (x miles per week) and make it a habit during the spring that you can carry through the tough summer months. 94chem is right, summer running may not make you fitter or faster, but you will be mentally tougher for it and fall running will feel so much easier just when you'll start marathon training. Running in the hills of Austin should pay dividends on a much flatter course on race day, and it'll make you a stronger runner in general. Lots of good info out there about post-run stretching, foam rolling, recovery, etc. These things are just as important (if not more so for older runners), as the easiest way to lose motivation and abandon a plan is to develop nagging injuries.

If it helps any, I ran my first marathon last year in Houston at age 57.

AggieOO
not to derail, but this is not entirely true

Quote:

Heat acclimation is a fine activity, but it just makes you more adept at high temperatures.

heat acclimation increases the volume of plasma/blood volume. Additionally, it causes your body to start sweating earlier, which starts the body cooling process earlier. So if you were to train through the hotter months, and then fly to a cool climate and race in cool weather, you will absolutely be able to perform better.

However, that's not what most people do in texas. They train through the summer, feel great when the first few cool fronts roll in, but by the time their texas marathon rolls around, they've lost all the benefits of the heat acclimation.

The other argument, which might be what you are trying to make, is that even if you try to train through the hot summers, you likely won't be able to put in the efforts you need (due to the heat) to make the gains you need to throw down a fast time in your race, even if it the race is in a cooler climate.

Now, if you can keep a good aerobic base over the summer and then do your "fine tuning" during the fall when we have cool mornings, but warm daytime temps, you can stagger runs and still take some advantage of heat acclimation for your race somewhere up north where you might be racing in temps in the 40s or 50s.
NoahAg
I'd keep it simple. Something like 45 minutes, 4 days a week. Crosstrain/bike/gym once a week. Steadily increase a weekend long(er) run.

Do that until you get to 18-20 weeks until race day.

Not to make this about covid, but I wouldn't bank on Houston being a go in 2022. Those in charge in Harris County/Houston want restrictions to go on indefinitely. Plenty of smaller races are still being held.
Big Cat `93
AG
Agreed re: Houston. I think The Woodlands race is on for Saturday, so look at the future schedule in the suburbs.
ReloadAg
AG
Ah good point. I'm from The Woodlands and have family there so that'd be a good option too. I don't want to put in a ton of work and training only to have to do some virtual race BS instead of the real deal. I want to have that race day experience.
NoahAg
Also, I ran the Sugar Land marathon on Jan 17th, same day that Houston would have been.
Goldie Wilson
The Pilot said:

I've never "fired" an athlete but I'm close with one because he wants to go faster than I tell him to. When I give him fast workouts he misses the mark. Consistency is key. Get into a routine and once you are 18 wks out, you can explore an actual training plan.
Random aside and this might be a dumb question, but how does one go about finding and hiring a running coach?
94chem
NoahAg said:

Also, I ran the Sugar Land marathon on Jan 17th, same day that Houston would have been.

My wife said that USA Fit was too close to Kingwood (1/1). She was probably right, so I ran Galveston...and the ice storm made it virtual. Anyway, screw these big marathons. There are plenty of smaller BQ ones out there. If the distance is legit, then so is the race.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
The Pilot
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

The Pilot said:

Random aside and this might be a dumb question, but how does one go about finding and hiring a running coach?

Most of my runners have come from referrals. This one found me on the RRCA portal. I'm in Denver and he wanted someone local, even though location is really irrelevant given.
ReloadAg
AG
I think it'd be beneficial for me to join a running group to hold me accountable for early Saturday morning runs. How do I find something like that in Austin?
The Pilot
AG
Yes, the groups are great accountability checks. OO is in Austin and can probably put you in the right direction.
AggieOO
ReloadAg said:

I think it'd be beneficial for me to join a running group to hold me accountable for early Saturday morning runs. How do I find something like that in Austin?
what part of austin? and are you looking for a free/cheap group that just meets up or willing to pay for a group that is led by coaches and is more structured along with a training plan?
94chem
My wife did USA Fit in Kingwood. It worked well for her. Of course, even a group can't make you show up. At some point, you either want it or you don't. Finding a pace group can be helpful. But again, you have to develop pace discipline. We even have elite runners in here who have hit 5 minute PR's at 13.1 during a full marathon. Let them tell you what a bad idea that is.
94chem,
ReloadAg
AG
I'm in northwest Austin, about 20 minutes from Zilker Park which is where I like to run. I guess I'd be looking for something less structured, just a group to run with to make it more fun.
Motot
AG
Reload, This group (I think pay) meets in NW Austin/Cedar Park.

I'm in NW Austin and run with George, one of the coaches outside of this group. He's a good guy. I think the group has different weekly mileages, paces

https://www.apex-running.com/

FIDO*98*
AG
Know what's an awesome tool for training over the summer? An Alarm Clock!! I start most of my summer runs between 5:15-5:45 and it's never too bad
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.