Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Frustrating Foot Problem. Dull Pain and Swelling. Mid-Distance Runs.

872 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by arrow
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Swelling on interior of foot between heel and arch. I'm fine doing HIT cardio, but running past the 5 minute mark becomes very uncomfortable. Past 30 minutes the pain dulls and I can keep moving. But swelling always occurs. I lift heavy throughout the year if that matters.

I substituted my bike for longer runs for a month. But the issue came right back as soon as I began running again. The problem is worse in the morning and seems to be worse during slow inclines.

I have a very wide forefoot and high arches. I prefer Altra trail shoes for my runs (typically the Superiors). I've also used New Balance Fresh Foam in wides, Hoka Challengers in wides, and Brooks Cascadia (years ago). This problem has been most pronounced since last spring. I've mostly worn zero drops during the daily office job the past few years. I recently switched to Red Wing Chukkas with Superfeet Blue.

Things I've tried the last three months since admitting I have a foot problem:

• New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro (wide) with Superfeet Green (seemed to help but shift pain forward)
  • 4 weeks without long runs
  • Saucony Guide (first max support shoe, too tight, made things worse)
  • Foot scan and gait evaluation by Dallas Running Company (they did not recommend orthotics/insoles, liked my choice of Altras)
  • Altra Olympus (max cushion trail shoe. Did not help. A little tight at mid-foot which seems to make the issue worse.)

So now I'm focusing on calf and foot stretching. Rolling and icing post run. Spring and Summer is when I shift to more aerobic focus with running preferred in the spring. I don't want to stop running.

What I'm looking for from this post:
1. Has anyone experienced similar issues with their feet and can say "I know what to do!"
2. Podiatrist needed? If so, recommendation in north DFW with a podiatrist who understands runners?

TIA!
arrow
AG

The arrows in this image are pointing to where my foot swells. This is just a quick google image search, the text is unrelated.

It's worse on my right foot, but my left has the same issue.
AggieOO
sounds like it could be plantar. i'm not a doctor thought. If aggiederelict doesn't come wandering in sometime in the near future, you can post this on the "Ask a PT" thread for input from him.

when you moved to zero drop, did you slowly transition to them or did you just start wearing them all the time?
arrow
AG
I'd say its been a reasonably slow transition. I started wearing NB Minimus shoes occasionally about 9 years ago. But this was back when a long run for me was a brisk mile or two.

When I started going 2-3 miles, 4-5 miles, 6 mile standard, to half marathon... my shoes have varied from Brooks Cascadia on one end to Altra Superior on the other.

Unfortunately, I can't say without a doubt it is (or isn't) a zero drop issue.

I also started wearing Lem's Boulder Boot to work most everyday because I enjoyed the zero drop and toes spread so much. I went to the Red Wing when those wore out. But I'm not on my feet much at work.
aggiederelict
Looks like you are having some tibialis posterior tendonitis based on your description and location. Do you happen to really high arches that collapse or flat feet in general?

Since you tried over the counter Superfeet it might be time to look at custom orthotics. They are much better made than the over the counter ones. I usually have my patients start with over the counter and if those don't work then move on to custom.

Where in Dallas area you?
arrow
AG
High arches according to the Dallas Running Company scans. I used to be a sprinter so I tend to spend a lot of time on my toes. Maybe running the longer distances has caused extra stress here or like you say the arches are collapsing during these runs.

The tendonitis you mention was a possible self-diagnosis I made. Plantar doesn't seemed fitting because it's never a sharp pain and not associated with me heel.

I live outside a small town north of McKinney.
aggiederelict
Plantar pain is almost always on the back inside of the heel. Have you had your running form looked? Long distance form obviously looks quite different than sprinting form.

If you could send me a video of you running on a treadmill in slow motion I could break down your form for you if you are interested.
arrow
AG
Currently, I do not have convenient access to a treadmill.

The guys at Dallas Running Company did the slow-mo thing on a fancy self-propelled treadmill. They didn't have any advice related to my form. Said it looked good. But I don't know their level of expertise. Their only small nitpick was that it seemed while standing I had a little pressure on the big toe. I'm certainly not jogging with the same form as I sprint.

My workout today was jog 800m, sprint/run 400m, 4X no rest interval. I decided to try the Superfeet Blue in the Altra Olympus. Of note, my foot discomfort was just as bad or possibly worse with this combo. My feet felt better during the 400 runs than they did during to 800 jogs.

I took pictures of the swelling post work-out. I've decided to spare this forum my feet pics. I think I'll try to see a podiatrist. (aggiederelict, are you a podiatrist?)
aggiederelict
Arrow, I am a physical therapist who specializes in working with runners and making custom orthotics. This is something I see a lot of in my practice.

I do offer high speed run analysis in my clinic as well. I have done a lot of these analysis and often times there is a relationship to what is seen on the high speed camera with what is going on clinically.

I don't know the expertise level of those working at that running shop but as a physical therapist my training goes well beyond just looking at running form and recommending shoes/inserts.
arrow
AG
Where is your clinic located? Would I need a referral? I'll see if I can get a treadmill video. I appreciate the offer.
aggiederelict
My clinic is in Austin. We wouldn't need a referral for a few weeks based on some legislation that was passed a few years ago.

I can easily point you in the right direction to get one through an online app to avoid a visit to your doc if need be.
KidDoc
AG
This sounds very much like a Morton's neuroma I had 3-4x when I was distance running. Mine was caused by the jogging + shoes that were too snug causing the tarsal bones to rub together and irritate the nerves. Steroid injections fixed it and ultimately stopping distance running stopped the recurrence.

Morton's neuroma - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
arrow
AG
My feet are pretty important to me. I'm going to find a treadmill and send you some video. I'll also try to get an appointment with a local podiatrist.
aggiederelict
Ben@axiompt.com

Would be glad to help in any way.
arrow
AG
Got it. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.