Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Did your newborn look nothing like either parent?

1,607 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Joseydog
2girlsdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know this isn't exactly H&F, other than the action that took place to have her burned calories, but I avoid the General Board.

Our first girl looked kinda like us when she was a few weeks old, but our second girl doesn't look anything like her sister at the same age nor does she look like my wife or I (or what we looked like as newborns). Is this typical? She looks like she could have been adopted!

Anybody else have these same thoughts early on and it took X months until you could see similarities?

And no, it's not the mailman's baby and we don't have a pool.
htxag09
AG
As a parent of a 2 month old, newborns kind of look like aliens. People would say "oh he looks just like you" and my wife and I would think they're full of **** and just saying something to be nice or make small talk. We still don't think he looks like either of us.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
I'm betting lots of parents have had the same thoughts. Unless there is a strong characteristic like harsh facial bone structure or something, I generally can't see a resemblance to family members as an infant or even often in the toddler phase. Their faces are so squishy . I still wonder about my two year old....
TurboVelo
AG
htxag09 said:

As a parent of a 2 month old, newborns kind of look like aliens. People would say "oh he looks just like you" and my wife and I would think they're full of **** and just saying something to be nice or make small talk. We still don't think he looks like either of us.
So much this.

Our oldest daughter is a good combination of her mother and I. My complexion but her mother's eyes and face. Didn't look like either of us until about 1.

My oldest son, our middle child, looks exactly like me and has since he was about 2 (he's now in high school). So much so, that a guy I went to high school with, but haven't seen in 30 years met him randomly and asked his last name. Before he was 2, he didn't look at all like me.

My youngest son (8th grader) looks like a cross between me and his mother's brother. But that's only been in the last few years. Before 4th grade, everyone asked us if he was adopted.
wangus12
AG
Obligatory what does your mailman look like?
Duncan Idaho
Hey OP. Don't count your blessings. Just be thankful she doesnt
Quinn
AG
First born looked like a combo of me and my wife. Tons of similarities right away and still now as a 4 yr old. My second born didn't look like either of us when he was born. He's almost two and he looks like he belongs with our family, but doesn't have nearly the strong resemblance that my daughter has.
Sooner Born
They always look like the parents, just maybe not the father in the room at the child's birth.
Scotts Tot
AG
I think it depends. Our first really looked like a mix of the two of us. No defining characteristics that were glaringly obvious compared to me or my wife. She's almost 3, and looking back through photos I would say she was at least a year old before her features started to become well defined.

Our second resembles me strongly, and it was evident in the first couple of months. She's a year old now and still bears a strong resemblance.
mrsbeer05
AG
Looking at the baby pictures of boys they do not look like either of us. It was not until 6+ months that either boy started to look like anyone and it's more their grandfathers than me or my husband.
aggiebrad94
AG
Father of 3. I am convinced that people see what they want to in babies and young children.
Bassmaster
AG
wangus12 said:

Obligatory what does your mailman look like?
Additionally, OP may want to consider changing his handle to 1girldad.
AgNav93
AG
My daughters new born pics looked like my new born pics. Her mother is a platinum blonde with pale skin. I have a darker complexion and brown hair. My daughter favors me with brown hair and eyes. Our son looks like if you put both of us in a mixer. He's not as pale as his mother but not as dark as me. His is blonde but not platinum like his mom's.
Ragoo
AG
Both kids look like me. Well son looks like me and daughter looks like my mom, which is the parent I more closely resemble.
DCAggie13y
AG
htxag09 said:

My wife will always tell our friends "oh your baby looks like a perfect combination of both of you."

Then when we are alone she will tell me "that is the ugliest damn baby I have ever seen in my life. It looked like the lovechild of Frankenstein and the Hunchback of Notre Dame."
Furlock Bones
AG
My first born daughter turning 2 in 4 days. She's looked like me from from like 1 month old. The eye shape and structure is dead on. My son is turning 3 months tomorrow. He's pretty unique so far.
Joseydog
AG
Momma- yes. Daddy- maybe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.