Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Toe Fungus

3,111 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RGV AG
b_rad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a simple solution to get rid of this problem. Seems in searching that there are many ways to tackle this but some methods are tedious/time consuming and the results vary.
Thoughts..solutions from anyone?
Thanks...and appreciate any advice/help.
bigtruckguy3500
Toe fungus, as the skin of the toes? Or Toenail?

If it's the skin, typically some OTC clotrimazole is a good start. If it's toenails, the only real solution is a prescription antifungal pill for a few months. Topicals work like 10% of the time.
TXTransplant
True story - my dad battled a really bad fungal infection in one of his big toenails for years. Tried everything - home remedies, OTC, and prescription. Then Katrina hit. Four feet of water in his house, and he waded in it for who knows how long trying to salvage their stuff.

Toe cleared up. Looks perfectly healthy and he hasn't had a problem since.

I know that doesn't really help you, but we've always wondered what was in that water...
b_rad
AG
yeah....sorry....toenail fungus
bert harbinson
AG
Yes, Podiatrist diagnosed and treated it (went in for something else). IIRC, took Lamisil for 90 days and had to have blood drawn every month to check for liver damage. But it cleared up the nails very well, and now I just destroy them with running.
b_rad
AG
Thanks Bert
bigtruckguy3500
bert harbinson said:

Yes, Podiatrist diagnosed and treated it (went in for something else). IIRC, took Lamisil for 90 days and had to have blood drawn every month to check for liver damage. But it cleared up the nails very well, and now I just destroy them with running.
The monthly blood draw is probably overkill. If you have no history of liver dysfunction and can abstain from alcohol, then just one blood draw before starting therapy is more than sufficient. Most of the time even that isn't necessary. Just in case whatever doc you go to doesn't do it, don't think they don't know what they're doing.

jejdag
Don't know anything about it or its efficacy, but got an ad for something called EmuAid the other day that was making some claims about what it did for toenail fungus. Can find it on eBay. It's not cheap, but thinking about trying it out. Pushing 60 now and the older I get the nastier my toenails look.
b_rad
AG
Probably try the Pediatrist first, then go from there.
FbgTxAg
AG
I tried lamisil for a week and I shlt like a goose.

Randomly my toenail fungus just went away a few years later.

Saving the lamisil for a cleanse.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
chris1515
AG
Try Vicks Vaporub
Philip J Fry
AG
Snake root oil worked well for me. Just need to make sure you do it twice a day until it's completely clear.
Kool
AG
Gentian violet
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
b_rad
AG
Heck....at this point, I'll try about any medical or home remedy.
bigtruckguy3500
Kool said:

Gentian violet

Really good for areas that don't separate well to dry out, like in people that have badly scrunched together toes.
AgCat93
AG
chris1515 said:

Try Vicks Vaporub

Second. It really works.
Philip J Fry
AG
Kool said:

Gentian violet

How often do you apply it?
Kool
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Kool said:

Gentian violet

How often do you apply it?

Dropper or Q-tip to wherever it is. Re-apply as it wears off
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Philip J Fry
AG
So as long as it's purple, it's good?
Kool
AG
Philip J Fry said:

So as long as it's purple, it's good?
No, I would re-apply every few days. It stains everything purple for a LONG time (violet, actually). That's the downside.
But fungus divides very slowly, therefore the difficulty in treating it, as you pretty much kill it during the dividing cycle.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, that's been my problem. I find a solution like snake root that works, but still requires you to use it for a year.
Bigfootisreal
Just started the purple cure. How long do you have to do this- 3 months?
Kool
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Just started the purple cure. How long do you have to do this- 3 months?
Probably not that long, just use until it gets better
Philip J Fry
AG
I have to say, the GV solution is legit. After 15+ years of suffering from toenail fungus, it's all pretty much cleared up.
RGV AG
AG
Sevral years ago I had a really bad ingrown toe nail while I was in El Salvador for work. Out of pain and desperation I opted to get a pedicure at a supposedly upper scale salon. They did a fine job, but I ended up with some virulent toenail fungus that grew and spread.

After about a year of suffering I was told to soak my feet in vinegar twice a day and wash socks and such with some major disinfectant. Also to rotate shoes daily.

I did the vinegar deal with a vengeance and even would do it 3 times on some days. After about 6 weeks the fungus cleared up and my feet felt great. I checked it out on the interwebs, I wanna say it was like a 70/30 mix of vinegar to water. This worked for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.