Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***2021 Trail and Ultra running thread***

11,513 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by coop-aero-06
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
johnson2012 said:

Signed up for the 10k at wild hare in Nov. Cleared my morning calendar and starting in the 10am wave on Friday. Daycare drop off is at 8, so should be perfect timing to get out there, warm up a bit, and get to running!

Anyone else running Friday or Saturday?

how did this go?
Ragoo
AG
Did a 4 mile trail run at the ranch this morning

johnson2012
AG
It was great. Weather, people, legs, were all awesome.

I've been to bluff creek ranch dozens of times for MTB, but never run there. The trail on your feet versus on the bike was totally different. I came into the race with a primary goal of just keeping my HR reasonable (ie z3) and a secondary goal of finishing in the mid 50s time wise.

Sunny, low 50s, slight north wind for the start. Trails we're in good shape. Front half of the course wasn't sandy or loose at all. The first couple miles in the trees were a bit punchy. I had trouble keeping a consistent pace and stumbled a few times. Luckily no falls, but I certainly kicked a few roots. I quickly found myself having fun, which was fun, but not good for pacing. I had to keep checking myself so I wouldn't run out of gas. First tree section ended well. Came out with my HR mid z3 and I was definitely into a groove.

Going into the field my game plan was to push it and recover going down gas pas and through the lower field before the jeep road climb. In the trees I was around a 10ish pace and was trying to hold around 8ish in the field.
I didn't quite get as quick as hoped, but still kept moving 1-1.5 mpm quicker than the trees. My HR was pushing
170 by the time I got to gas pass so recovery was needed. As luck would have it, I caught a small train of 25/50k runners on gas pass and fell in line for the descent and lower field section. I was able to get my HR back into the low 150s prior to the climb up, so thing we're going as planned. Just before the climb I left the group and pushed hard up the hill. Just like every MTB race I've done here, I was dying at the top and it was so much longer than I remembered.

This is where the 10k cut off. No more dropping up or down the bluff. At this point there was 1.5 miles left so I was just listening to my heart and steadily building my speed as I recovered from the climb. Somewhere a bit before mile 6 I kicked the **** out of a root. To this day I still don't remember seeing it before trying to knock over the tree (the tree won, BTW). The last half mile was hard and fun. I love riding this section. Running doesn't carry near as much momentum through the hills and g outs... I knew my race was nearly done and just started pushing once I hit mile 6. After the bluff and before the tank is my favorite part of the trail out there. Quickly hopped into z4 and even touched z5 a bit. I came through the barn at what felt like a Sprint and that was that.

57:47 on the chip. On the higher end of my time goal, but still very happy. I felt great and mostly stuck to the plan. More importantly, my legs/breathing cooperated. I was very happy to see training and consistent running paying off. I was also able to briefly live in glory on Friday as the fastest 10k until the Saturday folks ran. Ended up 9 overall and 2 in AG.

I'll be back soon. Hoping to be able to do the 15k on Dec 10 at Mosaic. My work Christmas thing is at lunch that day, but if I do the 9am window I think I can make it work.

Tejas Trails volunteers were super friendly and made a point to cheer for every start and finish that I saw. Ultra low key on Friday, but still had the full set up. It was almost weird having the big race set up and seeing hardly anyone around, but I enjoyed it. Somewhere near the finish I saw another guy in an Aggie hat, but never made it over to see if it was a fellow h&f person.

Tldr - Awesome. Met goal. Will do again.
coop-aero-06
AG
Nice one! Short trail races like that are so much fun.

Reflecting back on 2021, it was a very uneven year. I took about 6 weeks to recover from running the 96 mile Lone Star Hiking Trail on New Years eve 2020, then I had a nice 10 week buildup to the Canyons 100k. That race went well, and it was nice to get the Western States qualifier done early in the year.

I took a solid 3 weeks to recover from Canyons, and had just begun to start building back up for a long summer of fun runs when I learned that the company I was working for was closing and I was out of a job. The next 29 weeks of running were pretty pathetic. It was mostly just a few days of running per week in between job applications, interviews, and moving the family to a new home. I did just enough training to drag myself to a respectable finish at the Broken Arrow 50k and the Orange County half marathon.

I've learned that in order to put in the consistent mileage that I used to run, I really need stability in the other parts of my life: at work and at home. I was very fortunate to have a good job with lots of good running options near my office, and a flexible schedule where I could take a 1.5 hour lunch run if I needed to. We also had the kids in a good daycare and we could squeeze in some runs around pick-up / drop-off. I think those things are stabilizing for us now, and I can get back into a good running routine, but it's been a big challenge.

I've got 4 tickets in the Western States lottery this Saturday, so I'm not too hopeful that I will get in. One of my closest training partners is going to be running, and he's already asked me to pace him for the final 38 miles of the race, so either way I will be out there. Assuming I don't get into States, I'll probably register for Broken Arrow again so I can improve on my time from this year, and then just run some local races and try to get to know our new area a bit better.
AggieOO
Well, I guess there were more guaranteed entries this year. Despite a lower number of lottery applicants than last time, my odds are only 52%.
lima bean
AG
AggieOO said:

Well, I guess there were more guaranteed entries this year. Despite a lower number of lottery applicants than last time, my odds are only 52%.
OO! Congrats. Your time has finally come. We'll be cheering for you!
AggieOO
I'm in disbelief to be honest.

Now I gotta stop being fat.
Ragoo
AG
You got WS100??? Awesome!
AggieOO
Thanks. I really can't believe I'm finally in.

Not gonna lie, when my 3 year old asked why I was so excited, and then said, "I'm happy for you daddy," I might have cried a few happy tears.
AggieOO
lima bean said:

AggieOO said:

Any tips on lodging? I went ahead and got a couple rooms in Auburn for post race, but there's no penalty for canceling. Looking at Tahoe, there are a bunch of places, but I'm sure they will start filling up.
lima bean
AG
AggieOO said:

lima bean said:

AggieOO said:

Any tips on lodging? I went ahead and got a couple rooms in Auburn for post race, but there's no penalty for canceling. Looking at Tahoe, there are a bunch of places, but I'm sure they will start filling up.
If you can swing it, I'd stay at Palisades. The village is pretty exciting the days leading up to States, and you don't have the travel in ... nice little walk to the start. A lot ppl also just get VRBO / AirbNb in the olympic village area.

Otherwise, short drive in from Truckee or Tahoe City.
AggieOO
I'm leaning toward airbnb, bc not sure how many people will be coming or if the kids will be coming. I know my wife wants to crew/pace, and shes very particular with who she will let watch them.
coop-aero-06
AG
Huge congrats, dude! Definitely stay at the village if you can. I would also recommend coming into town as early as you can. If you can make it out the weekend before State is Broken Arrow, which is also at Palisades. It would be a cool experience for you to watch that. Then just hang out doing some easy hikes/runs around Tahoe for the week leading up to the race, and acclimate to the altitude a bit. I'm so excited for you!
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

Huge congrats, dude! Definitely stay at the village if you can. I would also recommend coming into town as early as you can. If you can make it out the weekend before State is Broken Arrow, which is also at Palisades. It would be a cool experience for you to watch that. Then just hang out doing some easy hikes/runs around Tahoe for the week leading up to the race, and acclimate to the altitude a bit. I'm so excited for you!

I now have my wife super psyched watching videos of broken arrow. I think she's going to register tomorrow.

And we are contemplating something stupid and doing a road trip out to Tahoe from Austin. Then road trip from states to Wisconsin for the 4th of July. All of that with kids and dogs.
dave99ag
AG
Y'all should definitely road trip all of that!
AggieOO
dave99ag said:

Y'all should definitely road trip all of that!
we decided to go for it. I'm sure we will regret it at some point, but the current plan is:

Austin -> ABQ -> monument valley -> page, az/horseshoe bend -> zion (drive through, snap some pics. We've been multiple times) -> across nevada with a quick stop in Rachel for some cheesy UFO pics -> tahoe

K and her brother are going to try and register for Broken Arrow 26K, so they'd run that, then we chill in tahoe for the week. Western States the following weekend, then...

race -> salt lake -> grand teton -> yellowstone -> mt rushmore -> northern wisconsin

I just have to figure out logistics with work, but shouldn't be terrible. I can work from the road.
AggieOO
wife and her brother are registered for Broken Arrow 26K. Its gonna be an awesome week.
coop-aero-06
AG
That all sounds awesome! Last year we were driving back to Reno from Zion and when we were passing through Rachel, NV we were buzzed a few times by a B2 bomber doing some training flight out over the desert. It was incredible!
UpstateAg
AG
I'm a CrossFit guy who has trended towards doing hour long rowing a few days a week. Interested in doing a last man standing race. How do y'all train for that type of race? Low heart rate with high volume miles? The one I'm looking at is 2.5 mile loop every 40 minutes. I ruck that with weights consistently for a couple hours.
Edit to add: my goal would be to make it way longer than a couple hours.
aggiespartan
AG
Does anyone have recommendations for beginner trail races near DFW? I've done some obstacle course races and road races that were on packed dirt, but no real trail races. Ultimate goal would be a 50k Ultra Expedition race in 2023.
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Does anyone have recommendations for beginner trail races near DFW? I've done some obstacle course races and road races that were on packed dirt, but no real trail races. Ultimate goal would be a 50k Ultra Expedition race in 2023.
you obviously already know Ultra Expeditions. I'd also look at Blaze Trails, North Texas Trail Runners, Active Joe, and Denton Area Trail Running.

If you want to come a little south, look at Spectrum Trail Racing. I can get you 20% off any of the Spectrum races.
coop-aero-06
AG
UpstateAg said:

I'm a CrossFit guy who has trended towards doing hour long rowing a few days a week. Interested in doing a last man standing race. How do y'all train for that type of race? Low heart rate with high volume miles? The one I'm looking at is 2.5 mile loop every 40 minutes. I ruck that with weights consistently for a couple hours.
Edit to add: my goal would be to make it way longer than a couple hours.
Short answer is yes, lots of miles at a low heart rate.

I've never done a last man standing event, but I've completed a handful of runs over 100 miles. You shouldn't just jump right into high volume training right away. You will need to build up slowly over time. If the race extends past ~36 hours or so, then sleep deprivation becomes a big factor. I'm not sure how I would handle that on a course where you have to complete a loop every 40 minutes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.