Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Texas Independence Relay 2021*

1,994 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by coolerguy12
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
*Hopefully

Our captain got word that it will resume this year. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's an event that should be able to proceed. Teams are spread out. They can spread us out even more so if they want. You stay with your same group of 10-12 the whole time.

Looking forward to coming back. We started in '09, and I only see most of the guys this one time a year.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, I posted about this a few days ago. I wanna say we only paid $30 each since we'd signed up last year and it didn't happen.

I will be really pissed if it doesn't. This race is on my bucket list and being almost 60, the window is closing on me.
NoahAg
Sorry I missed that. The best news is that our youngest guy just turned 40 so now we're in the masters division! We're not quite fast enough to win it but maybe could challenge for the podium.

Crazy that I was 29 the first year we ran.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, my team is more of a drinking team that is gonna have a good time.,
CoachRTM
AG
So, I should be able to do it this year - always wanted to, but my group of friends is outside the time limits.

I won't pretend to be fast (probably a 10ish minute mile in March) but if anyone needs an extra, I might be your guy.
NoahAg
Just got word from our captain that the finish will be at Blue Bell in Brenham. Makes sense considering possible new covid restrictions in Houston/Harris County. Haven't seen anything specific about the course tho. Hopefully they keep it close to 200 miles. Kinda sucked scaling back to ~180 the last couple of years.
wbt5845
AG
Their website says the course will be close to 185 miles, as this is the 185th year of Texas independence.
bert harbinson
AG
It'll be interesting to see what kind of convoluted route they'll use to get to 185.
The Pilot
AG
Finishing at Blue Bell might be cool, I really enjoyed running through the small towns. IMO the worst part of the relay was running through Houston. Finishing at the monument was ok but when they moved it to the garage kinda took the air out of it.
Swarely
Anyone have room for 3 runners? My two best friends and I are looking to join.
wbt5845
AG
Here's the map.

http://texasindependencerelay.com/map
CoachRTM
AG
Just bringing this back up to the top - 3 weeks until the race.

I'm looking to captain a team in 2022, but we have never run. Contemplating joining a random team as an individual this year just to get a feel for it.
NoahAg
Swarely said:

Did you guys find a team? We just added our 10th.

^
^
I think it's worth running once before captaining just to get a feel for it. But it's not rocket science either as long as you're somewhat organized.

I'm not in great shape right now but still looking forward to it.
CoachRTM
AG
Not sure if you're replying to me or Swarely. I assume the second part is towards me at least.

Definitely want to run this year to get a feel for it like you mention, I just don't know anyone who is doing it. I also am not particularly fast (10 minute mile-ish) and I'm not in the masters division yet.

Hoping someone here needs another first - would rather run with a bunch of TexAggers than randoms. Will wait until the week of the race and maybe reach out to see if anyone needs a solo. I'm guessing there's gonna be at least a couple COVID dropouts etc. at the last minute.
bert harbinson
AG
Sounds like we're at 11, hoping to have 12 runners. We're a mixed male and female team, 50 or older. Plan is to drive from Dallas to San Marcos (for dinner), and stay in Seguin Friday night. DFW area runner would be great, but not absolutely necessary.
CoachRTM
AG
Houston, male, 34, probably a 10 minute pace.

Probably not the best match, but I could always be a worst case scenario if not picked up by others.

wbt5845
AG
My team may be looking for someone. We're all 10 minute pace and up runners. And we'll be drinking.
CoachRTM
AG
Sounds good. Let me know
Swarely
NoahAg said:

Swarely said:

Did you guys find a team? We just added our 10th.

^
^
I think it's worth running once before captaining just to get a feel for it. But it's not rocket science either as long as you're somewhat organized.

I'm not in great shape right now but still looking forward to it.

We have not! I need to talk with them again, but I'm sure a couple of us would be interested!
bert harbinson
AG
Interesting change to the rules will allow some runners to complete legs of the race virtually. We've had trouble fielding a full team, but just got word that 2 will join us as virtual participants. Not ideal and it'll be weird, but then again, what hasn't been weird over the last 12 months.
coolerguy12
AG
So pumped to run this year. Our team has gotten faster ever year. This year we will be starting 2nd to last but I'm not sure we will be able to catch the team starting behind us. They are starting 45 min behind us.

Look for the church short bus, team young guns and old goats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.