Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

covid 19 vaccine question

1,020 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mystix
mystix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Early on in the quarantine there was a doctors log that was traced back to this forum. I found this place through the conversation that grew from that. It was for a long time the most concise, accurate, and unfiltered set of information available that described the state of care for covid at that time.

So here we are 7 or 8 monthes later. We have several vaccine candidates on the way. I am not a doctor, but I have medical tangent experience as a former EMT and support tech for a medical lab. So I hae healthy respect for the knowledge of doctors, if not much access to them. Through that initial conversation this forum has a selection of people that are more qualified to answer a few questions I have that I havent seen addressed.

We have these vaccines coming close to public use in under a year. Not only 1 is there either. There are 2 Russian ones approved for use there (questionable as that may be). 2 from Operation warpspeed.. more from the Covax initiative. per https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker there are 13 in or near phase 3 trials.

In conversations it seems strange that all these are available at or near the same time in such a short time when creating vaccine typically takes 5+ years. Even compressing the testing and makin it concurrent with production shouldn't make it nearly 10x faster like we've experienced. One could think this virus was particularly simple to make a vaccine for. ..yet we have SARS that is supposed to be quite similar that has no vaccine despite work being carried on since 2004.

Can someone paint a general picture for those of us that would like to have trust in the system but find the timing suspect? Were corporations and the government just sitting on cures until they were coaxed out of them by government money? Are these basically rejigged SARS vaccines using the same tech but now made profitble?

Should we be comfortable with this from a true doctors perspective?
lazuras_dc
AG
This is worth a listen. Also there's an entire forum dedicated to covid

https://peterattiamd.com/pauloffit/
AggieOO
There are multiple covid forms. You probably forgot F16 and the football board.
bigtruckguy3500
Technology builds on technology. For example, even if you gave blueprints of an internal combustion engine to a black smith from the 1700's, what are the odds they would have been able to produce one? Likewise, it took scientists months to sequence the original SARS genome. It took them weeks this time (I believe 3 weeks vs 3 months). Additionally, the technology to produce mRNA snippets and liposomal carriers isn't new, but has evolved substantially.

Let's not forget that, almost literally, every scientist, major lab, pharmaceutical company, university science dept, etc., has been focused on this one thing for about 10 months.

The vaccine mechanism is also very different than previous vaccines. Previous vaccines worked in different ways, but the general focus was how to inactivate or kill a virus, yet keep it whole enough to inject into the body, so the body can recognize it and produce an immune reponse. Here, we just get the body produce a viral protein that it'll see as foreign and then learn to fight against it. A lot of this technology has been researched, and studied, and I remember learning about liposomal transmission at A&M 10 years ago.

Necessity probably fasttracked multiple technologies developing in parallel till they were able to come together, rather than linearly.
NoahAg
I'm almost convinced that the vaccine was developed at the same time as the virus was manufactured. Almost.
Guitarsoup
AG
NoahAg said:

I'm almost convinced that the vaccine was developed at the same time as the virus was manufactured. Almost.
That's as dumb as anything I have ever read on Texags.
mystix
Yea for some reason missed seeing the covid specific forum. ..but still, health related so not the worst miss ever. Thanks for the considered response bigtruckguy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.