Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Mindfulness and meditation

904 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgsMyDude
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone do any kind of meditation? How do you do it? What changes have you noticed?

I'm still trying to grasp the concept of mindfulness. If I'm focused on a task I can stay focused on it, but if I'm just doing certain things that don't require much concentration (like exercise), trying to sleep, or even read a book/study, my mind wanders like crazy. If it's all it's cracked up to be, I think I could benefit.

So what are your experiences with it? Any tips on how to progress?
bam02
AG
No. I love the idea of both but just haven't ever stick with it long enough to notice any difference.
azul_rain
focusing on my breathing when going for jogs instead of listening to music has helped me in terms of being mindful
ttuhscaggie
AG
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/waking-up-daily-meditation/id1307736395

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stan Crowch
AG
Meditation is a wonderful practice. I highly recommend Sam Harris' Waking up app. I can't say enough good things about it.
CBattBQ87
AG
Read "Stress Less, Accomplish More" by Emily Fletcher. It's really good.
bigtruckguy3500
Thanks, I'll try out the app.

When I go running, or work out at the gym, I don't listen to music. I pretty much zone out and just think about random stuff constantly. I tried using the Headspace app recently, and I had the voice guiding me, but I'd still zone out and realize I wasn't paying attention to the voice but thinking about other stuff.
CBattBQ87
AG
Seriously, read "Stress Less, Accomplish More" by Emily Fletcher. It's really good. Emily approaches meditation from a different mindset than most people that talk about emptying your mind. It is geared toward regular people, like us. My mind wanders, too. Her method has helped me to work towards more mindfulness.
plowboy1065
S
Another highly satisfied listener to Waking Up!
AgsMyDude
AG
I used headspace in the past but switched to calm over the summer. Really like their 10 min "daily calm". 93 day streak!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.