Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Garmin v Apple Watch v Suunto

2,032 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by YouBet
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Fenix 3 is about to go gently into that goodnight. I haven't been a fan of the Garmin apps and am looking at switching. Would love to hear y'all's preferences and experiences with alternatives.

I use mine for running, hiking, snowboarding, and biking so tracking those activities is key. I was always jealous of the video/animation recaps of hikes on Suunto watches, but I've heard that is no longer a function. Would like to hear intel on that if anyone has any.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
BQ2001
AG
I do all those activities on a Fenix 5 and am happy. I don't ask a lot of my watch or need apps on it, maybe you could be more specific there on what you are looking for? Wrist based heart rate is pretty good and sleep tracking is helpful.

The thing I like most about my Garmin is the crazy long battery life. I can go 2 weeks at least with daily activities without charging. My wife has an Apple Watch and is charging that thing every other day it seems.
AggieOO
Geriatric Punk said:

My Fenix 3 is about to go gently into that goodnight. I haven't been a fan of the Garmin apps and am looking at switching. Would love to hear y'all's preferences and experiences with alternatives.

I use mine for running, hiking, snowboarding, and biking so tracking those activities is key. I was always jealous of the video/animation recaps of hikes on Suunto watches, but I've heard that is no longer a function. Would like to hear intel on that if anyone has any.

Video/animation recaps? Are you referring to relive? You can do that with Garmin.
Geriatric Punk
AG
AggieOO said:

Geriatric Punk said:

Video/animation recaps? Are you referring to relive? You can do that with Garmin.

Not sure what it is called. Buddy had a Suunto and when we would do hiking trips it creates a 3D animation showing our path, elevation, pace, etc. I'll see if I can post one of them.
Geriatric Punk
AG
BQ2001 said:

I do all those activities on a Fenix 5 and am happy. I don't ask a lot of my watch or need apps on it, maybe you could be more specific there on what you are looking for? Wrist based heart rate is pretty good and sleep tracking is helpful.

The thing I like most about my Garmin is the crazy long battery life. I can go 2 weeks at least with daily activities without charging. My wife has an Apple Watch and is charging that thing every other day it seems.

My Fenix 3 has been great. 2 weeks of charge? That's awesome. My Fenix only has a week at most. It's old of course. Really I just like god tracking and on my runs, elevation tracking, and steps. Don't need HR and I can't sleep with it on unless I drink too much.
Geriatric Punk
AG
AggieOO
Look into the relive app. Very similar.
Pahdz
I have a Fenix 5s and I second the comment on the battery life. Its awesome. My one complaint is the golf tracking has started to go on the fritz and considering I play probably 20 rounds or so per summer here in MN that's frustrating.
Geriatric Punk
AG
AggieOO said:

Look into the relive app. Very similar.

Word. Will do.
Ag Eng 92
AG
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I wanted to save the Board from another watch thread. I'm thinking of getting a training watch for my 3 kids this Christmas. Target has the vivoactive 3 for $150. I'm sure others do as well. Kids are 17.5-23, with different needs- running, swimming for one, other activities. Seems like a good entry watch. Any other ideas? I use a 920XT as an everyday and training watch, so I'm loyal to Garmin some.
htxag09
AG
That's a good entry level. I would suggest waiting for Black Friday and see what vivoactive 4 or forerunner series deals they have. But don't think you'll beat $150.

I'd say that's a safe bet unless you really value some of the new features (music, garmin coach, suggested workouts, etc)

Also, don't have any experience with them but maybe look into the venu line
wcb
AG
htxag09 said:

Also, don't have any experience with them but maybe look into the venu line
Don't know much about them but I'd start there. Seems to be a really cool watch. No idea the price.
wangus12
AG
My Fenix 5 is starting to have issues with GPS tracking. It'll stop tracking anywhere between 5-10 miles and switch over to measuring by steps (I think).

For instance, on this run, I finished back where I started but it says I stopped 2+ miles away

AggieOO
i'd call garmin support.
SteepleAggie
I highly recommend COROS. I'm currently using the Pace 2 and have been impressed. They have some models that are great for hiking, mountaineering, etc...
txcincinnatus
AG
Can't recommend DC Rainmaker enough when evaluating new fitness gadgets. His website will have comprehensive deep dives into all the models you are considering.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
BQ2001
AG
Some good deals on Garmins
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/heads-up-for-us-folks-20-off-trainers-sports-tech-sale-stock-wont-last-long.html/
Geriatric Punk
AG
wangus12 said:

My Fenix 5 is starting to have issues with GPS tracking. It'll stop tracking anywhere between 5-10 miles and switch over to measuring by steps (I think).

For instance, on this run, I finished back where I started but it says I stopped 2+ miles away

Someone on the Outdoors board has added this to their spreadsheet.
wangus12
AG
Doesn't bother me. Neither points are near my home
Phat32
AG
I'm a Garmin fanboy and have loved their triathlon watches. My 935 is finally crapping out after heavy, heavy use and I am considering the Fenix 6 line.

Regardless of Apple Watch features, I cannot get over having to charge that damn thing every night. I charge my Garmin once per week and use it for fitness every day.
K Bo
AG
My 935 is starting to show it's age, as well. I love the 935 so much, though, I'm considering the 945 (or waiting for the 955). It's my daily watch, though, so the Fenix 6 has the allure of the bezel, and available sapphire. Which 6 are you thinking?
htxag09
AG
I went with the 945 over fenix just because weight. The fenix just seemed like way too big of a jump from my 235.
Phat32
AG
Just started looking at them due to being on sale. Like htxag09 above, I like the lightweight 935 so it may be as simple as bumping to the 945. The ability to load some music directly on the watch is pretty choice.
Big Cat `93
AG
FYI

Fenix 6 sale at Clever Training
K Bo
AG
Gonna try to stretch my FR935 to the 955 (got a new band for the 935 today). If it bites the dust before that I'll get a 945. I've been looking around and I just can't think of anything I like better than the FR9XX.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

FYI

Fenix 6 sale at Clever Training
Ahhhh snap. Might have Christmas written all over it.
Phat32
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Multisport-Altitude-Adjusted-Training/dp/B07VVM1VM6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=garmin%2Bfenix%2B6&qid=1605883481&sr=8-3&th=1

Fenix 6 is 25% off on Amazon
K Bo
AG
dangit!
YouBet
AG
Own both a Fenix 5 and Apple Watch 5 and used both religiously for running, some hiking, but primarily strength training and indoor cycling at this point. I only use the Apple with Fitness/Health app at this point primarily because it's easy to use and more visually appealing.

If you like gobs of data and customization, the Fenix 5 has it. I enjoyed using it, but I found over time that I was fiddling with the damn watch so much while working out it became distracting. I also got analysis paralysis with all of the data and it didn't always track and work correctly. There are numerous issues online about the Garmin's tracking being off. I've just found over time I'm generally simplifying my life in all aspects and the Apple Watch is just easier to use and accomplishes what I now value.

The Fenix 5 watch face is hard to see. I'm assuming they've resolved that with the 6, but don't know. Hard to go back to that after using an Apple Watch.

Fenix 5 battery life is incredible, but I also don't use a watch to track sleep so charging my Apple Watch every night is a non-issue for me.

Fenix 5 is way sturdier HW than the Apple so if you are doing some rough and tumble stuff you could potentially damage your Apple Watch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.