Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Mystery Abdominal Pain

1,256 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Stumpknocker
dahouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, mid August we visit the family at the river. Naturally we ate fatty foods (burgers, steaks, etc) and consumed many alcoholic beverages.

Leaving Sunday I had pain in my upper abdomen, but I figured it was gallbladder acting up after the indulgent weekend (gallbladder at 23% in 2010)

Pain never went away. Pressure in my stomach as well, had to really watch what I was eating. After a week of no relief I called my GI doc. I've had an abdominal ultrasound, endoscopy, and a HIDA scan. All normal. In fact, my gallbladder showed 97% function. I didn't think that was possible. Once your gallbladder goes bad, it deteriorates, not supposed to get better.

Anyway, GI doc told me to seek an Ortho to check my spine.

I visited my internal medicine doctor today and he ordered an RUQ CT scan, that is scheduled for next Monday. Bloodwork should come back in a few days.

Anyone ever chased around something like this? I see my internist twice a year and he does bloodwork each time. My liver numbers were high a few years ago but I changed diet and habits and they've been fine ever since. I have high blood pressure but its controlled with medicine.

I'm frustrated and a little scared.

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
dahouse
AG
Oh, and I wanted to add this, it hurts more when I don't eat anything. When I do eat, I have to avoid anything real heavy or it hurts.
Cody
tcca12345
I am having the same thing. Labs normal, hida showed decent functionality, scope all clear. Weird things cause the pain like eggs and bacon. But I can eat burgers, fries and pizza all without issues.

The doctors still think it is gallbladder based on the symptoms and that I have a family history of gallbladders going bad and needing removal.

But they were very surprised my tests came back pretty normal.
03_Aggie
Any nausea when it happens?
dahouse
AG
Nope, just pressure and sometimes pain. Some days are better than others
Cody
03_Aggie
I had Issues a few years ago. First "episode" seemed like a stomach bug hit me mid day. Sudden discomfort out of the blue but never actually got sick. The initial discomfort lasted 4-5 hrs and the residual, if you will, seemed to Last a few days. I wrote it off initially as just some strange stomach bug. Then a few weeks later it happened again, and again. occurrences seemed random and ranged from once a month to a few times a week.

I eventually went to a GI doc, bloodwork, ultrasound, upper GI, and CT scan revealed nada. Sometimes discomfort was upper abdomen, sometimes it felt like I had 10lbs of food sitting in my stomach. Never could link to any type of food consumption as my diet was pretty consistent and the episodes seemed random.

I also had discs out in my upper and lower back. I asked if that could be playing a part because I know the pain can radiate but no one really leaned towards that being a cause. Especially since the upper discs were minor and did not appear to be impacting Imani nerves.
dahouse
AG
Got some bloodwork back yesterday. Abnormally high liver enzymes, like 3-5X levels.

Internal Medicine doc thinks it's something acute and ordered an abdominal CT scan with contrast.

GI doc thinks it's chronic, says he thinks it's fatty liver since I had that a few years ago before changing my habits. Never had pain back then

So, absolutely no drinks at all and no NSAIDs until we nail something down.

We'll see. This sucks
Cody
Stumpknocker
I've had off and on pain on left side of abdomen for 10 years. Was convinced it was pancreatic cancer each time. Had numerous scans etc... all negative. My current doc, as result of retirement relo, feels it might be a nerve issue or skeletal/back related. Possible inflammation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.