Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Montana Marathon in 2 weeks

1,344 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CDub06
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My October marathon (Garmin Kansas City) was canceled a few weeks ago, so I started looking for some replacements that possibly might happen. I found the Montana Marathon was sounding like they were confident about hosting the race and were offering a full refund, minus a $10 "service fee" so I signed up last weekend. Got the final go ahead email last night so it looks like it is happening. I live close enough to drive and hotel is free cancelation so I won't be out if it cancels last minute.

Bad news is I was only just now starting to build up for the KC marathon so I won't be really trained up for this one like I wanted to be. I have one 16 miler in and a few 9-12 milers done, but I guess I'm in a taper now.
AggieOO
I've done more on less. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. You have more than enough experience.

Good luck and have fun!
ptothemo
AG
I am so happy that you posted this. I registered and booked travel as soon as I read it earlier this morning. Pretty sure that I floated through my run after that due to my excitement.
wangus12
AG
I found a race near Cocoa, FL that's been given the go ahead for November so I'm registering for that. Took most of the summer off so it may be a push for the full.
CDub06
AG
That's awesome. I was actually looking at the Montana Marathon and Omaha Marathon yesterday. Both are on. I'm not gonna pull the trigger on either, I was just dreaming...

I would love to race. But at the same time, the events themselves aren't going to be what they usually are. Montana is doing waves of 50.

Omaha is way more strict.
Quote:

• Face coverings must be worn at all times while at the race site until the runner has started the race and is separated by 6' from other participants. (Face coverings are not required for the duration of the run but must be kept for any further encounters with another person.)
  • The start line will consist of six start line chutes that will be spread at 6' intervals for each wave of six participants
  • When runners arrive they will be Each wave of six participants will be staged at 6' intervals in the start line chutes extending west on Mike Fahey St. The six foot separations will be marked on the pavement with spray chalk or tape.
  • Runners will enter the chutes as their wave number is announced by a course marshal and they will then advance towards the start line 6 feet at a time while still maintaining safe physical distancing as the waves in front of them start the race.
  • Wave starts will be announced every 15 seconds.
  • Participants must observe proper course etiquette; no crowding.
  • Except for passing, participants should always remain on the far right-hand side of the road/pathway. Participants passing one another on the course must adhere to "no drafting" rules which include being no closer than 10 feet behind or in front of, or 6 feet beside other competitors at any time. Participants may pass only when they are able to do so while maintaining 6' of separation from the runner being passed and any oncoming runners approaching from the opposite direction. Before passing, participants must be sure they can safely remain 10 feet behind and then 10 feet in front of the participant being overtaken before merging back to the right-hand side of the course.

AggieOO
much of that is just CYA. No way they can enforce some of that.
CDub06
AG
Even without the other things, the waves of 6 is so tedious. Worth it though, if we're running races again.
ptothemo
AG
The last rule is clearly written by someone who has way too much faith in runners.
Sooner Born
It's like triathlon bike drafting rules but for running
BQ2001
AG
Jokes on them, I won't be passing anyone.
BQ2001
AG
Let me know if you want to get a beer or something after. I decided to stay and leave Monday instead of driving 8 hours back home. I'm staying at the Double Tree.
An Ag in CO
AG
I've now run two races with time trial starts and those have been great. Much prefer them to the mass o'humanity starts common pre-COVID. In both races there was no bunching up at any point and given the pretty good job people did with self-sorting based on expected pace it was easy to settle and just run my race. In the most recent race this past weekend I think about five runners passed me on my slower first mile and I passed about 10 runners in total. The number of runners I actually saw on the course was a fraction of the total running. I'm sure it's a pain for the race director, but awesome as a participant.
htxag09
AG
I'd also imagine that covid and everything around it deters the asshats that have to be at the front of the start to simply start walking a half mile in....
BQ2001
AG
Just got to Billings. They are monitoring the air quality now with all the wildfire smoke coming in. Not COVID as the threat this time...
It doesn't seem smoky here in the city and there is a cold front coming so I'm still hopeful it will go on.
CDub06
AG
2020 just keeps coming. It's just so hard to run a marathon this year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.