Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Iron levels high, ferritin low?

708 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jamotoe1
jamotoe1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been feeling weak and fatigued lately, so my doc ran some additional bloodwork at my physical this week. Everything came back within normal limits for the most part except my iron was high at 200, but my ferritin was on the lower side at 26.4. My percent sat was 59% and TIBC was 337.

I'm no doctor and was trying to google, but I don't see how those numbers even make sense together. Do it sound like it could be a lab error?

I'm going to go back on Tuesday to have the iron panel done again, but I'm kinda neurotic and just curious if my labs seemed odd.

Just extra info...my alkaline phosphatase, WBC and Neutros ABS were a little low, but everything else came back within normal limits (except iron). He did thyroid, CK, vitamin D, and all the standard stuff. I'm 38 F, 20 BMI, physically active and try to eat a pretty balanced diet, but honestly thought I didn't eat enough meat or get enough iron.

Curious if you'd wager this was more a lab error or if people can present with high iron and ferritin being on the lower side of normal. I guess I'll find out next week, but I'm not good at waiting.

Thanks!
stamper
AG
Ferritin less than 30 is generally considered diagnostic of iron deficiency. Were you fasting? Diet can effect serum iron levels. A low mcv on the cbc would also support iron deficiency.
jamotoe1
Thanks for the response. I had been fasting. That's what seems strange to me, that my iron was high at 200, but the ferritin was on the low end. I've never had an iron panel, but my sister and mom have both been anemic, and my sister and niece both have von willebrand disease. I wasn't expecting to have high iron, I barely even eat meat and didn't really think you could get too much iron from plants. I don't know how labs work and if it's all computerized or if it's possible my iron was in fact 20, not 200. I guess I will find out late next week after they do the test again, but Dr. Google is scary and I'm an anxious person.
jamotoe1
stamper said:

A low mcv on the cbc would also support iron deficiency.
I just checked and my MCV was 96.4, so the higher end of the normal range it seems.
stamper
AG
Were you actually anemic? You didn't mention what your hemoglobin was.
jamotoe1
My hemoglobin is 15, so I guess the very high end of normal?
stamper
AG
Since you are not anemic, this is probably not the cause of your symptoms. Sounds like not much to worry about to me.
jamotoe1
The second set of bloodwork came back similar, so he's referring to a hematologist. Not really sure if it's an issue or not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.