Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bed Talk

4,809 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CoolaidWade
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This may end up being a pointless thread because there is such subjectivity to this topic, but I will do it anyway. In the market for a new bed. Have had a SleepNumber for several years. Worked great but we are in a Queen because that's all we could fit in our first house. Have been rolling with it for years but we need a King. However, King equivalent In SleepNumber is so over the top expensive I just can't do it.

So, after much research I've narrowed down to Purple and Caspar Wave. I have significant back issues so idea of full on foam bed scares bejesus out of me but intrigued by these. Also, friend has the Simmons BeautyRest Black Label which is their top of line. A bit pricier but still half of SleepNumber.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with Purple or Caspar Wave more than anything though....
AggieOO
We have a tuft and needle, not on your list, but it's full foam. We love it.
Absolute
AG
We are going on 20 years with our king sleep number. Never gotore than 10 from old mattresses (not foam, though).

We will probably always spring for the sleep numbers. If they last twenty years and I spend a third of my life in it, it's worth it.
94chem
We have a foam/spring hybrid. I can sleep on my stomach again after losing 15 lbs.
YouBet
AG
Absolute said:

We are going on 20 years with our king sleep number. Never gotore than 10 from old mattresses (not foam, though).

We will probably always spring for the sleep numbers. If they last twenty years and I spend a third of my life in it, it's worth it.

I was always of this mind as well but I'm finding our current sleep number does not play nice with my back post surgery last year even after multiple test nights with different number. I've frankly been scared to death to move away from sleep number because historically it's been the best bed Ive ever had.

However, have since slept on other beds with zero back pain and wonder what else is out there. Have you priced them lately? It will cost us $10k minimum to get equivalent of what we have right now in queen.
YouBet
AG
94chem said:

We have a foam/spring hybrid. I can sleep on my stomach again after losing 15 lbs.

I feel like this is the way to go but I will never sleep on my stomach.
Absolute
AG
YouBet said:

Absolute said:

I was always of this mind as well but I'm finding our current sleep number does not play nice with my back post surgery last year even after multiple test nights with different number. I've frankly been scared to death to move away from sleep number because historically it's been the best bed Ive ever had.

However, have since slept on other beds with zero back pain and wonder what else is out there. Have you priced them lately? It will cost us $10k minimum to get equivalent of what we have right now in queen.

Fair enough. Nope haven't priced it. Ours wasn't even that fancy but we added a foam topper years ago (have switched them since) when wife was pregnant and kind of customized it to be like the higher end ones before they really existed.

Just bought a house, had to replace the AC in said house along with planned improvements, had a kid turn sixteen so gave her my car and bought a new to me one for me. Bed will ha e to hang on for a while.....
Potcake
AG
We had a Sleep Number for 8-10 years, both kept it on 100 but over time would not keep air. A few years ago we got a Loom and Leaf. Plenty of support, we obviously don't like soft beds.
aTm_bomb
AG
We got an Amerisleep, similar to Caspar and tuft&needle with the 100 day trial and no risk return policy. We have a full foam king and love it. They now have hybrids too.

They seem to have the most options for firmness vs the other online companies to fit your needs or preferences. You didn't mention them so thought I would mention in case you missed them.

monarch
S
When I saw "Bed Talk," my mind drifted off course.
Peace for Ukraine!
EMY92
AG
Sleep Number is always running 50% off deals. Wait a week or two for one of those.
Geriatric Punk
AG
We have a Purple. I wouldn't go as far as saying is sucks, but I won't say it is awesome by any means. One year and seemingly a day after purchase (read: one year warranty), it started to dip. You aren't supposed to need to rotate it, yet we most certainly have. Would not recommend.

Since we spend 1/3 on our backs sleeping and the quality of sleep we get is related to the quality of the other 2/3, I'd say don't go cheap regardless of what you do.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Vernada
AG
We have a traditional mattress/box spring combo (Stearns & Foster I think) that we added a 4" Serta foam topper to (from Amazon).

It works great - kinda best of both worlds from what I can tell.
Tailgate88
AG
Another huge Sleep Number fan here. We pulled the trigger on one five years ago and never looked back. It's made a huge difference in our sleep quality and health. So in my estimation worth the money. We put a pretty big chunk down and finance the rest over three years no interest I believe so that's an option just so you know. And they do phase out the models and run a pretty good deal on them when they do so you might just walk into the store and ask them when they think a good sale is coming up.
YouBet
AG
So, I've gone from originally being a 75 to a 50 and now down to 30 for the last 3 nights. Going to 30 has resolved my normal back and hip pain I've woken up with for several weeks. Amazing how much my body has reacted to these settings. Use to require really firm to not be in pain and now it's the opposite.

Anyway, this doesn't solve my need for a King and hopefully can find something that works as well that isn't as expensive as SleepNumber. Even with their sales it's significantly more expensive than other beds.
94chem
Geriatric Punk said:

We have a Purple. I wouldn't go as far as saying is sucks, but I won't say it is awesome by any means. One year and seemingly a day after purchase (read: one year warranty), it started to dip. You aren't supposed to need to rotate it, yet we most certainly have. Would not recommend.

Since we spend 1/3 on our backs sleeping and the quality of sleep we get is related to the quality of the other 2/3, I'd say don't go cheap regardless of what you do.

I have never rotated a mattress.
Geriatric Punk
AG
94chem said:

Geriatric Punk said:

I have never rotated a mattress.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Lightning Dexter
Not sure if you're still mattress shopping, but I read through most of the Q&A blog on this website. The guy has a lot of good information.

https://themattressexpert.com/qa-blog/

We ultimately decided on Simmons Beauty Rest platinum (firm) and bought a latex topper based on his recommendation. This has helped greatly with back pain and I would buy this same combination again.
dlp3719
AG
Big fan of BeautyRestBlack. It's the comfort of a temperpedic memory foam without the heat build up
LOYAL AG
AG
We had a Sleep Number for about 16 years and recently replaced it with a Purple. The SN was good but not great for us as neither of us really ever felt like we "found" our number.

We've had the Purple since early May and the biggest thing we've both noticed is temperature. We both sleep hot but respond to it during the night in different ways. For her she throws the covers down when she gets hot and won't pull them back up if she gets cold later on. Conversely I pull them up from the start and overheat to the point of waking up during the night and being too hot to get back to sleep. With Purple we're both at a comfortable temperature pretty much every night and I haven't woke up drenched yet whereas it was a couple-of-nights-a-week thing with the SN that had a 3" foam top. It's made a huge difference for us in that regard.

As to comfort we've both been happen. We have a Purple 3 and it seems to be working out well to this point. By the way their online warranty is 100 nights but at Furniture Row they give you a year. Just something to consider.
YouBet
AG
SleepNumber is 50% right now. Dang. May have to just go ahead and pull trigger on that.
Tailgate88
AG
YouBet said:

SleepNumber is 50% right now. Dang. May have to just go ahead and pull trigger on that.
We really like ours. And if the temperature thing Loyal Ag mentioned is an issue for you, they have an add-on now where you can individually control the temp on your side of the bed.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

Thqts only at the feet right? And only one of their options are 50% off, and that's just the mattress. The required bases for a split king basocqlly start at 4 grand.

Is just the basic sleep number a good bed? I would be willing to give that a try.

Also got an ad for a ghost split king adjustable that is only like 2 grand for their top of the line. Anyone have any experience with those?
Looking at the 360 ILE Limited Edition. It's going for $3,099 right now for FlexTop King which is normally $6,200. The base I'm looking at is the FlexFit2 which could be used for split king also and it's $3,200. And then $1,900 for the upholstered bed that makes it look like a normal bed.

So, still $9k damn dollars but I do have about $5k in VISA cards I can use so it would cost me $4k out of pocket.

Nine thousand dollars for a damn bed and that's on sale. What a world.
Tailgate88
AG
We have an i8, Split top King with the base that raises the top of the bed but not the feet. I'm not sure about the cooling thing being only the feet. We didn't pay for the option, but looking at their website they kind of make it seem like it is built in now, so I'm not sure. We have the Lyocell sheets which were pitched to us as somewhat temperature control because the fabric was "Designed by NASA" and supposedly keeps you from getting to hot or cold, but I see now they have Temperature Control sheets which are new since we last bought sheets.

I've just encourage you to go into the Sleep Number store and check them out. There are lots of options.
Post removed:
by user
Tailgate88
AG
YouBet said:

third coast.. said:

Thqts only at the feet right? And only one of their options are 50% off, and that's just the mattress. The required bases for a split king basocqlly start at 4 grand.

Is just the basic sleep number a good bed? I would be willing to give that a try.

Also got an ad for a ghost split king adjustable that is only like 2 grand for their top of the line. Anyone have any experience with those?
Looking at the 360 ILE Limited Edition. It's going for $3,099 right now for FlexTop King which is normally $6,200. The base I'm looking at is the FlexFit2 which could be used for split king also and it's $3,200. And then $1,900 for the upholstered bed that makes it look like a normal bed.

So, still $9k damn dollars but I do have about $5k in VISA cards I can use so it would cost me $4k out of pocket.

I know it's crazy. At the time we bought ours, we had both been having sleep problems and were on a 20 year old bed. I sold it to my wife as it being a health thing - that we both needed to get better sleep for health reasons. And the old adage that you spend 1/3 of your life in bed, is true. She was skeptical but it has been a great investment for us.

They finance through MySynchrony so you could do 36 months same as cash too.
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

Can't you just put a sheet on it? Why on earth would you spend 1900 for something aesthetic that only you, your wife and your housekeeper will see?

Our 7 year old memory foam is getting a ridge in the center and we have rotated and flipped it in the past so I'm tempted to buy new but damn idk of I want to spend 4 grand or more.

And I have no idea if there's a way to get a discounted cash price because they aren't making amy money off of financing.
How did you know I have a housekeeper, you psycho?

My wife would not allow us to just put a sheet on it. Her rule of thumb is find what you want and then pay as much as you possibly can. Lol.
YouBet
AG
Tailgate88 said:

YouBet said:

third coast.. said:

I know it's crazy. At the time we bought ours, we had both been having sleep problems and were on a 20 year old bed. I sold it to my wife as it being a health thing - that we both needed to get better sleep for health reasons. And the old adage that you spend 1/3 of your life in bed, is true. She was skeptical but it has been a great investment for us.

They finance through MySynchrony so you could do 36 months same as cash too.
Yeah, I agree with that sentiment. It's still mind-blowing though. I think our current SleepNumber cost somewhere around $4k so it's still sticker shock.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

Because noone that is willing to drop that kind of coin on a bed cleans their own home.
Ooh, got me. To be fair, we just started using one in the last month for first time ever.

I can't believe the filth we lived in before getting one.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
We pulled the trigger on a 360 Limited Edition. It's the same bed as the i8 according to the Sales person and there is literally no indication that they are different online. It was cheaper than i8. Not sure what's about.

Got the Split Top King. Will see how it goes!
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.