Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

IMTX - I'm out

6,069 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Officially deferred my entry to 2021. Every IM race has been cancelled through September.

Pretty bummed. Had it happened, I would have completed a Sprint, OLY, 70.3 and 140.6 all in the town I was born in. Would have been pretty cool.
AggieOO
good move. Highly doubt any race of a decent size is happening for the rest of the year.
htxag09
AG
They let you defer by emailing them?

I'm torn. My wife is pregnant with our first, due in December. So I'd really like to get this done in October as I've now been training for 14ish months. Question for you more IM experienced athletes. How doable is training with a newborn if I defer to 2021? So we'd have a baby in December, race would be in April.
AggieOO
I trained for a 100 miler with a newborn. I've done multiple IMs and multiple 100s. The IM is a bigger time suck than training for a 100 miler.

that said, unless you have MASSIVE buy-in from the wife, I wouldn't even remotely think about training with a newborn. We had a very easy baby, so I can't speak to trying to train if you have a baby with colic or something. The positive of a newborn is that they sleep A LOT. I'd say the first week I didn't do any running. Week 2 I started getting a few runs in, and by week 3, I pretty much knew what the schedule was like, so I could time my runs around naps and such. I even supplemented with the bike trainer. Let my wife nap/take a walk/whatever. Put the kid in the bassinet, set up the trainer and rode while she napped, knowing that if she woke up, that was the end of my workout.

I also typically travel for work, so I'd load up my longer runs when I was on the road so that I had more time with the wife and baby when I was at home.

Its completely do-able, but your wife has to be 100% on-board, and you need to accept the fact that you will likely miss some workouts, or have less than desirable sessions sometimes.
wcb
AG
htxag09 said:

They let you defer by emailing them?

I'm torn. My wife is pregnant with our first, due in December. So I'd really like to get this done in October as I've now been training for 14ish months. Question for you more IM experienced athletes. How doable is training with a newborn if I defer to 2021? So we'd have a baby in December, race would be in April.
How on board is your wife w/ IM? If she's barely tolerating it now you could be in trouble. If she's generally supportive it's doable. You know the routine. You can train weekdays with minimal impact. It's the Saturday / Sunday long sessions that will take the toll.

As far as deferral, I logged into the IM web site. You can create a support request for a deferral there. My neighbor I'm training with just emailed them; I've not heard if they emailed him back yet.

Honestly if I was in your shoes I'd keep training and pray for a miracle. I've heard rumors that TX is supposed to hit the COVID peak at the end of this month. If that happens there could be a *chance* of a race.
htxag09
AG
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, really hoping I get it knocked out before the baby. But it's just so mentally challenging getting out and riding 80 miles in this heat and thinking it's all for naught.

The wife has been really supportive. But you know how it is, she was annoyed with some of the time commitments even before the baby was in the picture. She says she's ok with me training for IMTX 2021 if this years gets cancelled. She's obviously seen how hard I've been working and for how long, she wants to see this goal reached also. But who knows how that will translate when a newborn is actually here.

I'm thinking if IMTX is cancelled this year I'll try for a 70.3 next year and a full in 2022 or later, depending on how things with the kiddo are going.
AggieOO
Ask around and get more advice from other parents of young kids, but I seem to find it more difficult the older ours gets to do the longer workouts. My daughter will be 2 next month.

That said, my wife and I are both runners/cyclists, so the argument is who gets to workout when. We are competing for time to workout sometimes, whereas we use to workout together or at least at the same time prior having a kid.
Ragoo
AG
IM70.3 Chattanooga was cancelled. I am now scheduled for IM70.3 TX in November.

Echoing some of the same sentiment, more training.

I've got twins that are 3.5 and are waking up at 6:30 am like clockwork. So my training is usually late at night or early morning if I was able to bribe the wife to get up with the kids.
Jim01
AG
I did my first IM when my kids were 5, 3, and 1.

Now training and they are 11, 9, and 7.

Honestly it's not more or less difficult, just different.

At the younger ages the stress was more on my wife because 5, 3, and 1 require a lot of parent attention, whereas now they can all entertain themselves. The guilt now comes more from my kids "are you done yet?"

On the flip side at 5, 3 and 1 the kids weren't involved in much. Not true now. My oldest (a girl) plays in the Dynamo/Dash system and just moved up a level to year round soccer. Second does baseball. Youngest does tennis. So in that respect, there is a lot more calendar time taken up by the kids. The oldest is at the age where I can just drop her off at practice and go for a run and be back before it's over. The other two aren't quite there in some respects and/or I'm asked to help out with the practices, so I'm tied there.

Overall though I am a special case because I am a software developer who has worked from home for 10 years. I get A LOT of my workouts done at lunch. I also have a ton of PTO accrued so I usually take every other Friday as a half day, or full day and do my long rides then. All this to say, my training's impact on my family is very minimal.

I would push through and hope it goes in October.
raidernarizona
I know you've done Kerrville OO. You think this race will be canceled also?
AggieOO
at this point, i don't have any faith that a race of any decent size will happen the rest of the year...maybe nov/dec if we are lucky. that's completely my opinion though.

that said, with the way kerrville does their start, i suppose they could make some minor adjustments, and argue they are creating the distance needed, especially if they are able to spread out the transition area.

Swarely
Require masks in transition?
Ragoo
AG
Space bikes 6' apart
agcivengineer
AG
I might sign up fpr kerrville like the 1st week of sept if they havent cancelled or gone virtual. You can do either the half or qtr.

I could see them doing it. Im jot looking forward to longer runs than 7 mi in the heat. In fact i may do those on a treadmill.
Swarely
I've done kerrville before. There ain't enough room for that.
AggieOO
Swarely said:

I've done kerrville before. There ain't enough room for that.

They could take a bigger chunk of that field or use the parking lot. Not saying they will be able to, but its not impossible.
Swarely
Did they cap the number of entries? Cause I can't imagine them expanding it 6x. Maybe 3x.

Also, that would be a real bear of a transition. Long run uphill form the swim, then a quarter mile long transition.
AggieOO
Don't disagree, but my guess is people would prefer a crappy transition over no race.

But I still don't think the race happens.
Swarely
Oh for sure. At this point I'd take an extra mile at each transition. But I'm also just doing the sprint.
Jim01
AG
Kona officially cancelled.
Phat32
AG
I'd bet good money that IMTX/70.3 do not happen.
Ragoo
AG
yukmonkey said:

I'd bet good money that IMTX/70.3 do not happen.
farmersfight
AG
Still in for Kerrville 70.3 and IMAZ in November. Having a hard time training for the unknown.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
All fall Ironman races will be cancelled. From what I was told if the city cancelled they don't have to give back the money and can just do deferments. If they cancel they have to give back the money.

My Ultraman (not affiliated with Ironman) was postponed from March to November and then again to March 2021. It was in Phoenix. Not disappointed though, because the viral pneumonia hit me hard in March and am just now able to work out hard.
Swarely
Kerrville was just canceled
farmersfight
AG
Got that email today...I was more hopeful about that smaller race happening rather than any IM.
htxag09
AG
Posted on a Facebook group. Could all be bs, who knows

Quote:

Some insight into IM world these days. Sharing this from Triathlon Collective:

This was posted on our Team Zoot Captains group from a third party.

"For all my triathlon friends and connections near and far. Last week I was included in a global conference call that I was selected for with Ironman. The intent was to inform the list of coaches on the call and then have each of us disseminate the info as we are able. This call was to explain why transfers are offered for 2020 races when we all mostly know those will get canceled. And other details as to how they are trying to address the issues. Keep in mind, this is ever - evolving for them and unprecedented.

1) Displaced athletes are everywhere, Globally. It has been a huge undertaking to figure out how to handle this. Whether it feels this way or not, IM sees this as first priority.

2) The city or governing state agency has to pull the plug to enable Ironman to re - coop insurance on lost expenditures. If Ironman makes the call, they cannot re - coop monies spent.

3) Permitting is not complete for 2021 (usually starts after the race date passes for the next year), so a date cannot be published yet. By choosing a 2020 race still scheduled that will likely get canceled, you are essentially choosing it for 2021 unless by some stroke of a miracle the race gets pulled off.

4) There are still 18 races that remain on the 2020 schedule in the US. IM desperately wants to host a race, any race. Its dependent on each city/state. The current dates for TX and Utah races are still being viewed as "strong" possibilities, there are now 10 on their list they hope to hold.

5) Any races you choose to transfer to still on the 2020 scheduled if canceled will likely by the deferral choice for 2021 as a calendar placeholder.

6) Mexico has given government permission and Global IM says its a go as long as they get enough registrations to make it profitable. Keep in mind, other unforeseeable factors can happen ie hurricane. Australia is also trying very hard to make a few races happen. That does not take into context any travel restrictions to and from various countries. That is an ever evolving separate issue. Transfers are not allowed from one region to another because funds cannot be co-mingled. In other words, requesting transfer from a Canadian race cannot be granted for races in the US or Mexico etc.

7) Kona was postponed in Oct to Feb because of travel restrictions, but the most recent postponement was not due to travel. It was a financial decision as less than 500 athletes were registered by qualification and legacy slots combined. An Expo would not be allowed so it would be a huge financial loss. They plan to reveal a virtual format for the Kona Saturday (the original date), there will be a large pro showing. Stay tuned for more details.

Consider every angle and what makes the most sense for you regarding safety, training, family, finances, and mindset. Take a few days to think it over. I know it can be an emotional decision. Be patient. IM laid off 150 people globally and are down to essential only to off load some financial strain. The few remaining employees are doing the best they can. Don't shoot the messenger and remember honey attracts bees not vinegar."
wcb
AG
NC 70.3 scheduled for Oct 17 - Cancelled.

I've already deferred, but I expect to hear news of IMTX being cancelled any day now.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
All Fall races will be cancelled.
farmersfight
AG
Email today from itrievents.com
Quote:

Yesterday I have received approval to proceed with the Onalaska Triathlon on Sunday, September 13th. As you know we have a few rules to follow from USA Triathlon and the CDC; these are not optional rules and must be followed by all.

• Everyone must answer a COVID-19 questionnaire at registration.
  • Everyone must have their temperature taken before entering the transition area and be lower than 100.0.
  • One athlete may pick up multiple packets, however; those that did not personally pick up their packets will be required to show a drivers licenses at the temperature check.
  • We will have open racking with only three athletes to a rack.
  • Athletes will need to wear a face mask during set up, but not during the event.
  • All volunteers will have face mask and gloves.
  • Hand sanitizer will be supplied for everyone.
  • Water and Gatorade will be supplied at aid stations and the finish line on tables for athletes to pick up.
  • Post race food will be packaged for easy pick up by all athletes.
  • Awards will be mailed out vs. our standard award ceremony and all winners will be posted.
  • And, last we are limit to 100 athletes!

Hincemm
AG
that's a fun little race...
htxag09
AG
For the first time I'm finding myself having hope that this thing may actually happen. To the point that I need to buy a wetsuit. Would like to wait longer but roka has a sale ending tomorrow and I'd like to do some training in it.
wcb
AG
htxag09 said:

For the first time I'm finding myself having hope that this thing may actually happen. To the point that I need to buy a wetsuit. Would like to wait longer but roka has a sale ending tomorrow and I'd like to do some training in it.
At this point if they cancel it's gonna be the week of due to spikes. The 45 day mark came and went. And I think IM really, really wants this thing to happen.

Still would be nice to see a course map and know that they have permits for it.
Ragoo
AG
I have confidence 70.3 happens on 11/22. I think this thing is mostly behind us.
agcivengineer
AG
Yea im beginning to think so as well. Im thinking i need to get a full wetsuit as the sleeveless i have probably wont be warm enough...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.