Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What do you do with your workout clothes?

2,478 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Discovery77
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I know this has been discussed a little before.

After working out, running, cycling, etc. my clothes are typically pretty drenched, especially this time of year. I've always used our guest bath as my go to hanging rack. However, we're expecting our first in December, and unfortunately he will get priority to the guest bath so I need a new option. I can use our bath, but it's not ideal as my wife actually takes baths so we'd be shuffling clothes around.

Anybody have any hanging racks in their garage or laundry room that work?
jtraggie99
AG
Uuumm...I just toss them in my washing machine...where they sit until I do laundry at some point that day. Am I missing something?
CDub06
AG
UGH. This is a huge issue for us. Generally I hang them over the shower, but this time of year, I come in soaked. During the summer, I usually take my shirt and socks off outside and try not to drip all over the house. I'll hang that stuff on the back porch and retrieve my shorts from the sink after a shower and air dry those out back as well.

Our house isn't really setup for a better solution than that...
htxag09
AG
jtraggie99 said:

Uuumm...I just toss them in my washing machine...where they sit until I do laundry at some point that day. Am I missing something?

So you do laundry every day? And just wash a couple pairs of clothes? Seems like a waste to me. I generally workout twice a day, hang the clothes for a couple of days to dry, then put it in our "workout clothes" hamper. We wash clothes about every 2 weeks.
AggieOO
i hang mine over the tub in our master bath, but we've literally never used that tub.
jtraggie99
AG
htxag09 said:

jtraggie99 said:

So you do laundry every day? And just wash a couple pairs of clothes? Seems like a waste to me. I generally workout twice a day, hang the clothes for a couple of days to dry, then put it in our "workout clothes" hamper. We wash clothes about every 2 weeks.
I would say I do laundry most days. I also have two kids at home. I cannot fathom being able to go two weeks without doing laundry, or even just once a week. And yes, sometimes it is small loads. I would say I average a load of laundry every other day.

Oh, and not every workout is a drencher. The hot yoga classes are definitely a do laundry that day kind of workout. That's usually just 3-4 times a week.
bert harbinson
AG
Sweaty clothes go in the laundry room sink with hot water and a few squirts of WIN detergent, soaking until the next load goes in the washer. There is a bar above the sink to hang anything that doesn't go in the dryer.
AgCanuck07
AG
We have hooks on the back of our bathroom door where we hang wet or damp workout clothes. Once they are dry, we toss them into a designated workout clothes laundry bin (and do a wash 1x per week).
Vernada
AG
I have a mesh laundry bag that stands on its own that I use for workout clothes. I'll drape the wet clothes over the side until they are more or less dry and then flip them inside.
Ragoo
AG
Outside run I will hang my clothes in the garage.

Indoor spin just drape over my bike in my closet.

Have several activated carbon bags to absorb odor.
TXTransplant
I only wash mine once a week, but a while back, I started adding the Lysol laundry sanitizer to those loads. It makes a big difference when it comes to getting rid of odors that linger in even clean clothes.

My newer items that have only been washed with it do not give off any smell, unlike the ones that I had for a while before I started using it (which start to give off odors when I sweat).

Now that I think about it, I should probably use it when I wash my son's clothes, too. Teenagers smell funny.
jtraggie99
AG
TXTransplant said:

I only wash mine once a week, but a while back, I started adding the Lysol laundry sanitizer to those loads. It makes a big difference when it comes to getting rid of odors that linger in even clean clothes.

My newer items that have only been washed with it do not give off any smell, unlike the ones that I had for a while before I started using it (which start to give off odors when I sweat).

Now that I think about it, I should probably use it when I wash my son's clothes, too. Teenagers smell funny.
I've found vinegar works great as well. I now include it in every load of laundry. It helps kill bacteria that cause odor.
wangus12
AG
I just workout naked now. If it was good enough for the Greeks, its good enough for me. Problem solved.
TXTransplant
Yep, it does. I just don't use it because I don't want any to carry over to a load of my work/good clothes and ruin them. I've had that happen with bleach before.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Jump in pool. Hang wet clothes in garage or throw in the washer. Shot of eucalyptus wash from Tyler Candle Company added to your normal detergent makes the whole house smell nice. Which is nice.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
94chem
Pool towel rack outside until dry.
94chem
Sponge
AG
Move to the desert. Everything dries outside within 30 min.
JDL 96
I have a laundry bag hamper thing in the garage where I toss my gym clothes. I take them off in the garage and wrap a towel around myself to walk to the bathroom. That cuts down the smell and disruption for people in the house.
htxag09
AG
Seems the best options are pool and laundry room sink, which I have neither of.

My googling also led me to a specialty hamper that uses cool air flow and UV light to kill bacteria and odors between doing laundry. But at like $250 it's a hard pass from me.

Looks like I'll just be getting some kind of rack to hang the clothes on or a hamper to put in the garage.
Gilligan
AG
I grew up doing laundry on weekends. the boss does laundry every day.

The dog claims all laundry out of the dryer until they cool off.

It's a cycle...

10andBOUNCE
AG
I've got a hamper in the garage I'll throw gross clothes and towels until I'm ready to wash.
P.U.T.U
AG
Hang them on my power rack. I workout at my house so normally just have underwear on so that makes it easy
zachsccr
AG
Normally just let it hang over the hamper if not too wet. If soaked, I sometimes rinse in shower then hand there, or it goes straight to washing machine. Enough people in our house I can usually justify a load.

I live in west Texas so my clothes are half as drenched here as they were living in BCS. I may live on the moon, but my clothes don't stink as bad.
RockOn
Add a dash or two of white vinegar to your wash of workout clothes. Will get the stench out.
bert harbinson
AG
My mom was pretty old school (many years without a dryer), she used a clothesline either across the yard or in the garage. That's a low budget solution.
agcivengineer
AG
If really wet, i hang in the shower till it stops dripping, then i hang in our closet over the hamper till dry, then i put in the workout clothes only section of the hamper. We wash that about every 5 days or so, and then hang to dry. We havent had too many issues with stinky smell after wash.
harge57
AG
I wear them into the shower.

Then usually hang in shower to dry. This really helps the football locker room smell stay out of my clothes.
The Grinder (99)
AG
OP, good news, once you have a baby you won't believe how often you do laundry. You'll have more opportunities than you would have ever imagined to wash your work out clothes.

Congrats on the baby. Try hard to keep exercise a priority. It is easy to let that slide and hard to get back.

Discovery77
AG
I hang them in the master bath and light a candle b/c it smells like a locker room and the wife hates it. Then mid-week we usually have enough workout gear to do a load, I also throw in a lot of my fishing shirts since that's pretty much all I wear during these months due to the heat. I also use that Lysol sanitizer and the downy sport fabric softener and everything comes out just fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.