Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Question for docs about heart rate

2,054 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by P.U.T.U
Its OK to be White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I played golf yesterday in a tournament, which started at 1 pm. I hit balls on the range for about 45 minutes before hand.

The round took forever and after 4.5 hours we were just on the 16th hole. The heat index was about 106 and I checked my Apple Watch and noticed it said my heart rate was 160. I play golf frequently and am typically maxing out at 120-130 during a round.

Is 160 too high for someone in their mid 40's? What could have caused my heart rate to be so much higher this round than others? Maybe the heat? I play a lot of golf but normally only in the morning or late afternoon in Summer
TitanAGGIE09
AG
160 was the average or just a high point?
Its OK to be White
TitanAGGIE09 said:

160 was the average or just a high point?

Just a high point
tailgating hall of fame
NOT a doctor, but I am someone that works out in the heat. Dehydration can cause an increase in heart rate.
zachsccr
AG
Couple things:
1. Wrist/optical hr monitors aren't the most accurate. Very possible the 160 was a mid-read. They aren't horrible but also not exact so take it with a grain of salt.
2. Your body cools itself in a few ways and 2 main ones are sweat and by diverting blood toward the skin to allow more heat dissipation. If you are sweaty heavy or for a long time you are likely dehydrated to some degree which will impacts your total fluid volume. Also, if your body is diverting more blood to the skin and you are exercising you have a higher demand on the circulatory system. Pair these together (lower fluid volume and more demand for the fluid) and the heart has to work harder. So, it would make sense that your heart rate was higher than normal if it's 100+ and you've been outside exercising for 5+ hours.
bigtruckguy3500
Agree with everything that's been said.

Multiple things can cause your heartrate to actually rise, like dehydration, physical exertion, the two together can make it rise even more.

Additionally, in the sun, things that use light to read heart rate get interference from all the ambient light, making them less accurate.

However, if you're older, have a history of high blood pressure, maybe sleep apnea, or maybe you're just unlucky, could be something like atrial fibrillation. Although I suspect if it was you'd likely have felt something strange and felt a little more out of breath than normal, perhaps more fatigued as well. Typically with afib you'd see your heart rate jump around from 100 to 140, down to 120, then up to 160, then down to 90, etc., over a short period of time. And if you felt your pulse you'd feel a very irregular heart rhythm.
DCAggie13y
AG
I'm a few years younger than you but usually max out around 160-170 doing hard cardio workouts. Have you had an EKG recently? Definitely worth getting a check up to make sure everything is OK.
lazuras_dc
AG
4.5 hours of range and golf (riding) yesterday My whoop strap showed my average HR at 101 and Peak 158. It was hot af but I felt fine the whole time. I don't think it's an issue, I'm sure there's a few shots you walk up to and get amped about after a hard swing etc. I'm mid30s though fwiw

Just looked back. June 14 I had a 4h15m round max HR was 145
So yes yesterday's heat probably played a factor.
Its OK to be White
Thank you all for the input, very kind of you. I don't believe I have Afib, I did not feel any irregular heartbeat, I was just absolutely exhausted and could feel my heart beating faster than normal.

I have had an ekg a few years ago and they said I had beautiful heart structure so hopefully I'm still okay there.

After doing some research I have realized 160 isn't really scary, but I probably did the right thing in shutting it down a few holes early

I had also been climbing up and out of a few very sheer bunkers so that probably had something to do with it as well
94chem
At 58F I was running a half marathon at an 8:15 pace. Now at 80F, with a heat index pushing 90F, I'm running 8 miles at a 9:40 pace. Body stress feels about the same. You simply have to respect the heat.
Post removed:
by user
SteveA
AG
The load on the heart increases with activity and exercise, especially in hot weather. For every degree the body's internal temperature rises, the heart beats about 10 beats per minute faster.
htxag09
AG
Did you confirm your hr was in the 30's by manually checking your pulse or just via watch?
94chem
htxag09 said:

Did you confirm your hr was in the 30's by manually checking your pulse or just via watch?

Do people still know how to do that?

OP, also, were you hitting the sauce out there?
TRM
AG
This happens to me RHR in the 50s but if I take a week off it will dip into the 40s then slowly rise as I lose fitness.
Post removed:
by user
P.U.T.U
AG
For golf 160 is high unless you are out of shape or walking a hilly course. Heat plays a huge issue but 160 for walking is high

I have had bad heart rate readings by several wearable technologies, how long did the spike last? Since you were just playing golf I would have taken it manually to confirm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.