Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Talk To Me About Sleep.....

2,635 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AZAG08
Good Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I sleep so poorly. I wake up multiple times in the night. Takes me a while to fall asleep. Exhausted in the mornings when I wake up and throughout the day. I've tried every common trick in the book. Room is pitch black at night, I don't lay in my bed on my phone, spend time outside my bedroom so my body knows when it's time to sleep but still very poor quality sleep. What helps you?
88planoAg
AG
Melatonin has been helpful and is a pretty safe first step.

Dill-Ag13
AG
Reduce caffeine
Exercise
Melatonin

If I do all 3 I'm dead to the world
Swarely
Dill-Ag13 said:

Reduce caffeine
Exercise
Melatonin

I do these, plus make sure my room is cold. White noise helps too. That's why I have to have a fan to sleep.
AZAG08
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Reduce caffeine
Exercise
Melatonin

These were the 3 things I came to share as well.

I have not tried a lot of melatonins, but the one I use and have had really good success with is the zzzquil melatonin gummies

CDub06
AG
I struggled with sleeping forever. Tried all kinds of stuff; meditation, medication, natural stuff, etc.

Finally tried these several years back and it is the first thing that's actually helped. And it's definitely safer than the years I took tylenol PM every night. It's been life changing for me. But it didn't have the same results for my dad.

https://irwinnaturals.com/product/power-to-sleep-pm/

I'll add that I've got a bedtime routine, I never have any caffeine after lunchtime, I exercise daily. I'm sure that helps, but the power to sleep is what changed things for me.
RockOn
Before going straight to Melatonin, i would recommend this:

Vitamin D at lunch w/ meal.
Zinc and Magnessium in the evening in between dinner and bed:
lazuras_dc
AG
Do as suggested above. Google sleep hygiene. Get a sleep study !
bushytailed
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Reduce caffeine
Exercise
Melatonin

No caffeine after 3pm.
Exercise daily.
Magnesium and melatonin at bedtime.
Onceaggie2.0
Shot of zzzz quil works amazing
JDL 96
My suggestions:
1. Set your alarm for the same time every morning. EVERY morning. Don't sleep in on Saturday. It throws your body's clock off.
2. Excercise every morning, getting your heart rate up. I'd guess it is ok to skip that 1 day a week.
3. No caffeine after noon.
4. Go to sleep at the same time every night. Get your body on a schedule.
5. Use a white noise machine or static on the radio.
6. Have a fan on.
7. Don't wear much to bed. It will make you hot.

zachsccr
AG
Light. Try to decrease the amount of light around you as you get closer to bed including phone, computer, or tv light sources. It helps the body naturally prepare for sleep.
When I sleep, I aim for as dark as possible.
jtraggie99
AG
You could always just smoke some pot, maybe 15-30 minutes before bed. You'll fall asleep fast and wake up much less
ATM9000
AG
zachsccr said:

Light. Try to decrease the amount of light around you as you get closer to bed including phone, computer, or tv light sources. It helps the body naturally prepare for sleep.
When I sleep, I aim for as dark as possible.

This big time, I even cover alarm clock digits and flip my phone over to avoid light. And yes... take up reading to wind down vs. phones and TV and stuff.

One thing not mentioned that's a big deal is stress. I shut down anything work related including checking emails and the work phone at least 3 hours before bed. Since doing that, the sleep has improved significantly.
SJEAg
AG
Reduce alcohol. May help you fall asleep but it's a good sleep killer.

Look into if you maybe have sleep apnea. Partner may be able to tell you or do a sleep study if all other options fail. Cpap may cure you.

Also a low carb diet made my sleep much better.
Caliber
AG
If you do decide in melatonin, watch out for increase in anxiety. My daughter was having some sleep issues and we discussed melatonin with pediatrician and he said it's perfectly fine.

It definitely worked initially, but certain behaviors went down hill fast. Clingy, extremely shy ,scared of anything new all of a sudden, major tantrums. Started looking into into more and melatonin came up several times.

Stopped melatonin and things went back to normal pretty quickly.

Talked to some others in family and apparently my sister had issues with it as well as my niece.
Mmetag10
AG
Based on some of the things you said i highly suggest being evaluated for sleep apnea. You check a lot of the boxes based on your post. Most think it's just for overweight people but some have it just based on physical structure of their neck etc. Go visit your doc and ask for a sleep study. It might save your life.
P.U.T.U
AG
Routine is important, do the exact same thing every night getting ready for bed. No screen time an hour before, do some breathing exercises and/or read a book before shutting off the lights. Make the room as dark as possible and keep it cool. Alcohol hinders sleep, it doesn't help. Several servings of alcohol really makes sleep worse.

I have read mixed things on melanin and it does not work for everyone. Same as CBD. Try if you like but I have always been a fan of not relying on anything to sleep.

To me the best thing is to work your freaking butt off during the day. I have never had a problem sleeping, in matter of fact I can sleep anywhere at anytime. I wake up early and am non-stop until I go to sleep. I sweat every day, most of the time it is a workout and then playing with my kids outside.

The other thing is your diet, if you eat right you have more energy throughout the day. Several new studies have shown you should increase your carb intake during the day and the added carbs in the evening will help you sleep better with your body replenishing your glucose levels. I will eat low carb in the morning, maybe add some carbs for lunch if I am being active, and then have a large side of carbs at dinner.
Smokedraw01
I sleep terribly when I have "free time", which is more often since I'm a teacher. During the school year I sleep like a rock with no problems but when summer break hits, I'm restless. I usually work in the summer to avoid that issue specifically but it's not an option this summer. I believe this is all caused by anxiety and not being able to get out of my own head.

Anyone deal with something similar?
Drip99
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

I sleep terribly when I have "free time", which is more often since I'm a teacher. During the school year I sleep like a rock with no problems but when summer break hits, I'm restless. I usually work in the summer to avoid that issue specifically but it's not an option this summer. I believe this is all caused by anxiety and not being able to get out of my own head.

Anyone deal with something similar?
Yes, anxiety can impact all parts of your daily life in ways that many can't imagine. If you get in a pattern of worry before you are about to sleep, like worrying if you will fall asleep or stay asleep it will be harder to actually get good rest. Getting out of that pattern is the first step...but that's easier said than done.
dmart90
AG
Talk to your doc - I ended up doing a sleep study and getting a CPAP. That helped, but I'm also taking Eszopiclone now. My problem was staying asleep and this, with the CPAP, has been the winner for me. Sadly.
XpressAg09
AG
AZAG08 said:

Does this make you have wicked realistic and vivid dreams? Because damn, it does for me. Not nightmares, but intense and 'immersive' dreams.
Good Poster
AG
CDub06 said:

I struggled with sleeping forever. Tried all kinds of stuff; meditation, medication, natural stuff, etc.

Finally tried these several years back and it is the first thing that's actually helped. And it's definitely safer than the years I took tylenol PM every night. It's been life changing for me. But it didn't have the same results for my dad.

https://irwinnaturals.com/product/power-to-sleep-pm/

I'll add that I've got a bedtime routine, I never have any caffeine after lunchtime, I exercise daily. I'm sure that helps, but the power to sleep is what changed things for me.
I ordered these and wanted to try them out. I also cut out all caffeine past the morning. I think the pills really do help you relax closer to bedtime and fall asleep quicker. I have had a few nights where I have woken up but I do think the pills have improved my sleep.
Squadron7
AG
XpressAg09 said:

AZAG08 said:

Does this make you have wicked realistic and vivid dreams? Because damn, it does for me. Not nightmares, but intense and 'immersive' dreams.

Yes. #metoo
AZAG08
AG
XpressAg09 said:

AZAG08 said:

I definitely dream more, especially in the early hours of the morning right before I wake up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.