Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Marathoning and Electrolytes

7,704 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 94chem
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just started experimenting with this electrolyte mix. LMNT 1000mg sodium, 200mg potassium, 80 mg magnesium
Anyone experienced with this type of stuff over the standard sports drinks?

I've only taken it once so I don't have anything to report back. Typically I train with Gatorade, coconut water, or water depending on weather and what type of run I'm doing. I'm doing a lot of heat running now so I'm curious about the extra electrolytes with these hotter workouts.

Looking forward I wonder how my body will react during races where Gatorade is standard. I really don't like to carry my own hydration during marathons, but I also believe in training with whatever fuel I'll use on race day.
AggieOO
either use what the race uses or carry your own.

Personally, I always drank water and used gels. I'd also carry some endurolytes or s-caps in case i needed electrolytes. Never worried about "sports drinks" until i got into longer distances.
Vernada
AG
Tailwind is a great mix.
ptothemo
AG
There are a couple of points of reference that I have for LMNT and those are Nuun and Liquid IV. I used to take Liquid IV, but it got to the point that the saltiness was just overwhelming. LMNT has twice the amount of sodium as Liquid IV. I take Nuun daily now, but I just add it to the water through the day and don't take it while running.

To me, the thing that is missing from all three of those from a marathon fueling perspective is carbs. Gu, Maurten, and Tailwind, as examples, all have 22 to 25 grams of carbs per serving. FWIW, Tailwind is my go to for fueling during a run. It takes some logistical planning to not have to carry it but is doable if you have someone who can get around the course in front of you.

Related, I read an article yesterday that found that rinsing and spitting a drink with carbs can trigger a positive reaction from your body even without actually swallowing. It referenced how elite runners will rinse and spit at even mile 24 and 25 just to trigger the reaction but not have to actually take in hydration right at the end.
94chem
I'm trying this - it worked for 15 miles at 90+ degrees the other day...

Elite Sports Rehydr8
2 capsules, plus 8 - 16 oz liquid before run

Every 30 minutes:
8 oz water/SIS Carb gel (22 g carbs, 300 mg electrolytes)

or

8 oz water/2 more capsules

Each capsule has 200 mg Na and 100 mg K, plus Mg, Ca, and D3. The SIS gels don't need water. I can carry 3 of them easily - still lighter than carrying a silly phone. I just drink it, and then wait till the next water station.
CDub06
AG
Some of those SIS gels are nasty. I was intrigued by them, but I'm back to washing my gels down with water.
htxag09
AG
Pretty much exactly the same on this.

I drink nuun throughout the day. I add a tablet to every other glass of water I drink.

For runs I've done tailwind. But have recently started infinit since it's customizable. I've added more electrolytes and a little more carbs for Ironman training. I've been able to avoid all other gels and foods while training by doing so.
agcivengineer
AG
I use tailwind for electrolytes and carbs
P.U.T.U
AG
If I did a marathon again I would use what they have on the course and bring some salt tabs with me if I was a heavy sweater. Or I would use something like First Endurance Gel and carry it in a small container.

Still wonder why more marathon courses don't have Coke, seriously that stuff is like the nectar of the gods the second half of a race. Sugar, caffeine, and sodium all while costing very little money
AggieOO
P.U.T.U said:

Still wonder why more marathon courses don't have Coke, seriously that stuff is like the nectar of the gods the second half of a race. Sugar, caffeine, and sodium all while costing very little money
because coke isn't sponsoring races and giving free product like gatorade, etc.
agcivengineer
AG
They offered coke in the Kerrville triathlon last year. Because i had never thought of drinking it in a race, i skipped it. Wish i hadnt done that. I then drank a dr. Pepper on a long ride and loved it.
Swarely
Someone handed me some lukewarm, flat coke at NYC marathon last year, right around mile 24. It tasted like unicorn tears it was so good.
boboguitar
AG
Every 7-9 miles, I fill up my water bottle with 80% Gatorade and 20% water on hot days. That has always done the trick for me.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Base Salt is great and carried in a tube. Couple licks every few miles. Helps a ton on my Ironman training. Also helps release cramps.
https://www.baseperformance.com/products/base-electrolyte-salt-4-vials

I also use Infinit nutrition. Has calories and electrolytes together. Mixes can be custom made for you or pick one of their premade ones.
https://www.infinitnutrition.us/
Phat32
AG
On the back half of a 70.3 or IM run, Coke is the closest thing to Heaven you will ever reach on this planet.

I have liked Right Stuff for long endurance salt boost. You only need one per 2-3 hours so it is easy to manage.
Gordon McKernan
For you doing long runs in the neighborhood (not a race where they have drink stations), how do you refuel?

1) Start your run carrying enough liquid to support entirety of workout.
2) Have a water fountain you can refill along route?
3) Do loops and stop back at home to refill?

In my hood out in the burbs there are a couple spots where I could refill my water bottle but last I checked all the fountains were turned off due to COVID. I typically carry a 21oz CamelBak water bottle which can get me through an hour run in the Houston heat but I find that I would drink more than that if I could carry more. If I want to start going longer than an hour I am going to have to figure out how to carry more water or looping back at home. I just hate stopping in the middle of a run & losing my rhythm.
ptothemo
AG
I hop in the car beforehand and go put water out at spots along my route. Don't have to carry it, don't have to loop back home, and not dependent on water fountains that way.
CDub06
AG
If I'm staying in my neighborhood, I can stash a sportsbottle on a corner and just grab it on the way by and drop it off on the next lap.

But for long runs, I don't prefer staying in my own neighborhood, so I carry my hydration with me. In cooler weather, I'll just carry the bottle. Sometimes I'll stash it along the way and loop back around when I need it. But when it's hot out and I'm doing a lot of miles, I'm carrying a pack.

Previously I wore a Camelbak Octane, but I really really prefer my newer Salomon Adv Skin 5 - carrying the weight on my front is more comfortable. I'll usually still stash my sports bottle somewhere near the start/end of my run so I can get back to it easily in case of an emergency.

The main benefit of the old Camelbak is I can fill the bladder with ice and it stays pretty cool throughout my run. It's refreshing. The thin pouches of the Salomon don't offer that insulation. I could strap a bladder in the back of the Salomon too, but that cancels out the comfort factor.

EDIT:
My Gear:
Salomon Adv Skin 5 (The actual one I have. Got it on sale directly from them for $100 including tax.)
Camelbak Octane Dart (Mine is an older model. Got it on sale at Academy several years ago for like $50)
Water Bottle w/ Sleeve.) (I've had my cheap old one for a looong time, but it's similar to this one
CDub06
AG
I'll note that the Salomon Adv Skin might be a bit overkill for you. But during normal times, I'll do a fair amount of hiking in New Mexico and a bit of trail running. So this will be a nice upgrade for that too when I get back out on the road.

The two flasks have served me well on 20+ mile runs the last several Saturdays. As I said, I can always add the bladder in if I need more water.
94chem
Gordon McKernan said:

For you doing long runs in the neighborhood (not a race where they have drink stations), how do you refuel?

1) Start your run carrying enough liquid to support entirety of workout.
2) Have a water fountain you can refill along route?
3) Do loops and stop back at home to refill?

In my hood out in the burbs there are a couple spots where I could refill my water bottle but last I checked all the fountains were turned off due to COVID. I typically carry a 21oz CamelBak water bottle which can get me through an hour run in the Houston heat but I find that I would drink more than that if I could carry more. If I want to start going longer than an hour I am going to have to figure out how to carry more water or looping back at home. I just hate stopping in the middle of a run & losing my rhythm.
I just run on a track. I don't want to drive that far!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.